Golf Green/Yardage Books: Do you use them?

I bought one of the Golflogix books for my home course just out of curiosity. It's pretty cool and seems to capture the details of the greens quite well.

Never used it during an actual round of golf, though. I think learning to putt based on the greens book would be a skill of its own, it's not trivial to figure out exactly where your ball and the hole are relative to the little marks on the diagram.

I'm happy with putting the way I always have. But the books are quite amazing in their own way.

Playing Devil’s advocate, because I slept like garbage and I feel like violence today :)

What’s the difference between a green reading book, and a person making notes in their yardage book? One could just as easily go to a green with a digital level and make their own notes, right? Or if not that fancy, they could just go and make notes of (breaks less than you think, more than you think) etc. So really, what’s the difference?
Yea, notes or self done would work. Might not be as detailed, but you would have the basics for sure.

I generally do buy yardage books for courses I visit on trips. Mostly as remembrance pieces.

I think the green book would be nice to use in a tournament or maybe a THP event. 😉

Playing Devil’s advocate, because I slept like garbage and I feel like violence today :)

What’s the difference between a green reading book, and a person making notes in their yardage book? One could just as easily go to a green with a digital level and make their own notes, right? Or if not that fancy, they could just go and make notes of (breaks less than you think, more than you think) etc. So really, what’s the difference?
I think there is a difference between a yardage book showing general breaks, ridges, etc and a green reading book that has the most granular detail. Trying to get breaks with a digital level will never come close to the level of detail and accuracy that a laser surveyed green reading book will.

I haven't used them for putting, but for approach shots, a quick glance at the GolfLogix heat map I prefer, as it lets me know (for courses I've not played), where ridges/elevations/slopes are generally.

I prefer the book to the app, as it's quicker and doesn't hold up pace of play ( I can generally review after my tee shot and still hit in turn and on time).

I like yardage books for courses I have never played. I have never even seen a green book and I would not use one.

Played yesterday. I had an overall great round but I had 34 putts... That is way too many.. I am not sure this will help but I am willing to try.. haha.

I haven't used them for putting, but for approach shots, a quick glance at the GolfLogix heat map I prefer, as it lets me know (for courses I've not played), where ridges/elevations/slopes are generally.

I prefer the book to the app, as it's quicker and doesn't hold up pace of play ( I can generally review after my tee shot and still hit in turn and on time).

I think this makes far more sense than trying to use them for putting. I'm probably not personally accurate enough to make good use of it but definitely see the utility of knowing where any ridges, etc. are on approach.

I have never considered using a yardage book or green reading book. I would like a "demo" day with one to see if they are helpful.

No. The on;ly one I have ever even looked at was a green book at PGA National. It confused the heck out of me.

I haven't used them. I have bought several for remembrance purposes at courses I have played.

I think there is a difference between a yardage book showing general breaks, ridges, etc and a green reading book that has the most granular detail. Trying to get breaks with a digital level will never come close to the level of detail and accuracy that a laser surveyed green reading book will.
To an extent, sure. When I get home, I’ll post the digital one I have, and the one from PGA National since Sox Fan mentioned it haha

It’s honestly as much info as you want it to have.

Nope...never have...never will. I trust my eyes and my feet....not a book.

Yeah, hard to imagine what all those tour pros are thinking. 🤷‍♂️

Nope...never have...never will. I trust my eyes and my feet....not a book.
I'm with him ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm old school I guess. ;)

I haven't used them and don't think I'll start.

Yardage books I collect. I have about 600 of them. Many spectacular courses. The green books I have a few....One I got embarrassed into buying. Played Liberty National 2 years ago and was buying the yardage book $25...I saw the green book and said I'll take that too....Pro said are you sure they aren't cheap. I said yea...It was $75...very specific with coloring of the lines and such...But seriously....I got it just to collect it...dumba** move...

Yeah, hard to imagine what all those tour pros are thinking. 🤷‍♂️
Modern Tour pros are a bunch of superstitious lemmings who will do anything they are told will ward off mistakes and dropped shots. The fact they pore over greens books and fiddle around holding fingers in the air does not mean those things are effective. These guys are just addicted to every mental and emotional crutch they can find.

i have one for my home course that has huge greens and 6 pin locations. Sometimes the book helps me understand danger associated with my approach shot; in other words where should I miss

making a 360 of my putt on a green appears to me more valuable then spending the time looking at the book

Modern Tour pros are a bunch of superstitious lemmings who will do anything they are told will ward off mistakes and dropped shots. The fact they pore over greens books and fiddle around holding fingers in the air does not mean those things are effective. These guys are just addicted to every mental and emotional crutch they can find.

Well, since there’s not a nickel’s worth of difference, skill-wise, between world #1 and world #100, it would seem to me that success on that stage is largely mental. Therefore whether it’s placebo-effect or not, if they believe those things work, then they work.

Seems a little harsh to characterize them lemmings, addicted to mental/emotional crutches.

So, here is the 9th hole at my course using one of the green reading/super technical books. From the fairway view, I know the width of the hole to the penalty areas, the elevation slope, and various location carries. The actual fairway markings sprinkler head wise, is a bit lacking.

image.jpg

The greens however? Yaaiisssss
image.jpg

Tough to read in a photo, but fine in person. I know everything. I may not need it all, but I have it. And that’s like an encyclopedia to me. Use it for what you need, not everything else.

Here is the bit more old school book, for PGA National circa 2010?

image.jpg
image.jpg
Been still giving arrows for players for decades. So what’s the real issue? The fact they have more info than probably needed?

Most of my books keep most of latest in packs with cards from most recent trips. 20210512_092650.jpg

I have several green books for local courses, (conforming and non-conforming), and i find that when i glance at them to mainly confirm what I'm feeling/seeing is when I have the most success. I will say they probably save me a full shot per 1-2 rounds, depending on course. most of mine are from Greenslopes golf.

I have the GolfLogix books for my 2 courses.
I like them, they’re helpful. Where I really like them is training my eyes to truly understand the breaks in the greens.

Back