RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
Hey THP,

Looking at buying some new grips for at least my wedges this season to see what's what.
My grips are just the standard golf pride black ones that came on the Callaway wedges 10 years back so am looking to move into something like the Golf Pride MCCs.
What I'm trying to figure out is if I should stay in standard or move to midsize. My hands measure well in the 'standard' size from the Lamkin site but throughout my rounds I just feel like they're a bit small for me. I do grip hard and I do experience grip fatigue (which is something I am working on).

My question is: would midsize hurt me badly or is that a sensible option? Or should I go standard and play with tape wraps?

Hey THP,

Looking at buying some new grips for at least my wedges this season to see what's what.
My grips are just the standard golf pride black ones that came on the Callaway wedges 10 years back so am looking to move into something like the Golf Pride MCCs.
What I'm trying to figure out is if I should stay in standard or move to midsize. My hands measure well in the 'standard' size from the Lamkin site but throughout my rounds I just feel like they're a bit small for me. I do grip hard and I do experience grip fatigue (which is something I am working on).

My question is: would midsize hurt me badly or is that a sensible option? Or should I go standard and play with tape wraps?
grip_sizing.jpg

I doubt you’d be hurt in anyway using a bigger grip. It’s not a big investment to test out. I went larger and I love the feel. Try one out and see how you like it.

I play Jumbo grips. I have larger hands, but not that big, but I have much larger palms and relatively short fingers. Jumbo is the perfect grip size for me. So I would try all the different sizes and see which one fits your mitts the best.

It also depends on whether the Lamkin grip fit tool is basing on standard at .580 core size or .600 core size. From my experience, the majority of Lamkin grips are .580 while the majority of GP grips are .600. Most steel shaft butt sizes are .600. What this means is a .600 grip on a .600 butt shaft is truly standard size. Putting a .580 grip on a .600 shaft actually putts the finished grip size between standard and midsize. I personally like the sizing of .580 grips on .600 shafts so use Lamkin grips primarily. If I go with a .600 grip, I will add two extra wraps to achieve that sizing. FWIW, I wear a men's small glove.

It also depends on whether the Lamkin grip fit tool is basing on standard at .580 core size or .600 core size. From my experience, the majority of Lamkin grips are .580 while the majority of GP grips are .600. Most steel shaft butt sizes are .600. What this means is a .600 grip on a .600 butt shaft is truly standard size. Putting a .580 grip on a .600 shaft actually putts the finished grip size between standard and midsize. I personally like the sizing of .580 grips on .600 shafts so use Lamkin grips primarily. If I go with a .600 grip, I will add two extra wraps to achieve that sizing. FWIW, I wear a men's small glove.

I recently went down a grip sizing rabbit hole. This video does a great job explaining everything you just said and more.

Interesting thoughts - that video was particularly educational!

I am being warned about 'loss of feel' and whatnot, but as I compare to the graphic above about finger tips burying in my thumb - they definitely do... so I'm thinking a larger grip would be beneficial.

Hey THP,

Try a Plus 4, like a GP Tour Velvet Plus 4. Or just add more tape.

Comes down to personal comfort with the grip. Using a junior grip or an JumboMax may have adverse affects but those are extremes in size, weight and swingweight. The charts are starting points only as nothing is set in stone the one above showing a correct size can be manipulated depending on weak or strong grip then the size would change again pending on that. Available charts pigeon hole golfers to a size but if uncomfortable doubt and tension can creep into play. Play what you personally feel most comfortable with in hand with your standard swing grip. If using tape wraps to get a “standard” grip to “midsize” it will play firmer than a factory “midsize” due to stretching of the materials just as an added reminder.

If using tape wraps to get a “standard” grip to “midsize” it will play firmer than a factory “midsize” due to stretching of the materials just as an added reminder.

If you stretch a standard grip on a midsize, or a .580 core on a .600, the final diameter will be a little thinner than what you would calculate from adding

butt diameter + (2x(tape thickness)) + (2x(wall thickness)) because the walls have to stretch a little to go over the butt. In order to stretch they have to get thinner. Most times is around 1% difference, but if you have an extreme case, like a 0.580 core on a Miyazaki C Kua with a 0.65 butt, the difference can be several percent.

I have experimented for a couple of years between standard and midsize. I can play both, but surprising factors pop up, like weather, glove or no glove, swing changes, soft or hard grip material, and whether you're a feel player or more technical. It's all personal and kind of a moving target if you're trying to find a general rule. That said, a soft midsize grip sure does ease my arthritis.

That said, a soft midsize grip sure does ease my arthritis.

That’s what I’m thinking of trying. I have tendinitis that causes hand pain when I grip too much.

What soft mid-size grips do you play? Dri-tacs seem to be popular for hand issues, but the durability is concerning.

First, what helped my tendonitis in my wrists and arthritis in my fingers the most was the Theraband Flexbar. Once a day, 5-6 various exercises, 20 reps each, two years later I strengthened the muscles that support my wrists to the point that my tendonitis barely hurts at all. Before a round, Tylenol. I'm 71 BTW.

Yeah, I use Dri-tac midsize. You can get them cheap and they don't wear out too fast, unless you hit the range everyday or play golf everyday. Still, they do help. Regular, graphite shafts help, too.

I play Jumbo grips. I have larger hands, but not that big, but I have much larger palms and relatively short fingers. Jumbo is the perfect grip size for me. So I would try all the different sizes and see which one fits your mitts the best.

That describes me to a T! At least as far as my hand size is concerned. For my right hand, my middle finger is a good 1 1/4 inch shorter, from the bottom crease of the finger, to the top crease of my wrist! But, this makes me like standard or a little under standard grips. I need to feel the club in my fingers. I don't want to get to palmsy with my grip. It makes me hang on harder, and I can't release the club as well.

With my hands I usually have to wear Large Cadet golf gloves, and even in that size sometimes the palms can be too tight, and the fingers of the glove are still too long, where I have air space at the ends of the fingers! It's very hard for me to find gloves that fit properly.

This might explain why I just gravitated to Lamkin grips quite a few years ago. I had them installed with a single tape wrap, and loved how they felt and fit. Getting ready to take my Driver in and have it regripped. Don't know anything about the measurements. For me, it's all about the feel.

Back