Golf Handicap App - Questions

Paddy1Putt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm using this golf app called my handicap downloaded from the app store. I noticed that some of the scores have a number next to them, some have a check box and other have nothing. Are the numbered rounds weighted heavier whereas the check round are counted but not weighted as much and the ones that are blank rolled out of the 20 rounds used to score?

There is also a column called diff (assuming for differential) is this your projected handicap based off of one round? For instance my last round was a 94 and the Diff is marked 22.9. A check was assigned to that round, my handicap was not effected.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

If this should have gone under another thread or into a different forum section, my apologies and feel free to move it, not that you need my permission. (y)

It sounds like the check mark is next to the ones that might be used to calculate your actual handicap. Are there 8 with check marks? And yes, your score differential for one round is essentially what cap you played to for that round. Since that 22.9 is close your cap, and has a check, it sounds like it's being used as one of the ones to calculate your handicap.

It sounds like the check mark is next to the ones that might be used to calculate your actual handicap. Are there 8 with check marks? And yes, your score differential for one round is essentially what cap you played to for that round. Since that 22.9 is close your cap, and has a check, it sounds like it's being used as one of the ones to calculate your handicap.

I have 21 entries

8 entries have a number ranking 1 - 8, the top one is a score of 88 with a diff of 14.1 The last number 8 is 89 with a differential of 21.7 (I played the whites that day). All the others seem to have a high differential 22 with a couple in the 30's. those have checks. The oldest one I think dropped out of the HDCP list and has nothing next to it. I think this is based on chronological.

I have 21 entries

8 entries have a number ranking 1 - 8, the top one is a score of 88 with a diff of 14.1 The last number 8 is 89 with a differential of 21.7 (I played the whites that day). All the others seem to have a high differential 22 with a couple in the 30's. those have checks. The oldest one I think dropped out of the HDCP list and has nothing next to it. I think this is based on chronological.
Oh okay. Then it sounds like the number ranking ones are being used to calculate your cap, and they just give them a rank from best to worst. And the check are next the the rest. Their way of saying they don't count, but maybe looks friendlier than a big ❌ . lol And yeah your 21st, the oldest one, doesn't or won't count whenever it updates next. Usually next day. I tried to pull up a picture of this particular app, but search results were a little too mixed. There are a lot of them.

Last edited:
There is also a column called diff (assuming for differential) is this your projected handicap based off of one round? For instance my last round was a 94 and the Diff is marked 22.9. A check was assigned to that round, my handicap was not effected.
The differential is your score minus the course rating, and the differentials are the numbers actually used to calculate your handicap. Your handicap is the average of the best 8 differentials of your last 20 rounds, so it can fluctuate up and down as you post new scores.

If you look at the scorecard for any given course, you’ll see a course rating and slope, usually shown in a format like “68.3/121”. The Course Rating is the expected score for a scratch golfer under normal playing conditions. So if you shoot a 92 on a course with a rating of 67.1, your differential would be 24.9; if you shot a 92 on a course with a rating of 73.4, your differential would be 18.6. Identical scores, but your differential is much better (lower) on the more difficult course.

Back