Golf in Galveston

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Heading to Galveston for a few days. Anyone played Moody Gardens. Anyone with other options and recommendations

Definitely following because I think we are headed to Galveston for spring break 2021!

Yep, Moody is great and by far the best course in the area. Greens are usually fantastic and it's a fun layout. Very tough when the wind is blowing. Also, bring bug spray just in case. Mosquitoes can be absolutely awful out there.

Not sure on courses that are super close except for some that about 45 minutes from Galveston. Of course, all of Houston is in play if you're willing to drive that far from Galveston.

I have played Moody gardens a long time ago. I cannot remember conditions good or bad but I do remember the three club wind that was blowing. If you hit a wedge into it the ball may end up behind you. Lots of options a bit north in Houston.

@bbutler & @MattyD-MPLS if you guys fly in/out of Houston you should hit up a few of us in town. We could probably set up a fun welcome or goodbye round!

I haven't played in Galveston, but I know a few course about 30 minutes closer towards Houston if you want to leave the island.

I guess to add on, fun courses on the south side of Houston are:
Gus Wortham
Wildcat
Wilderness
Timber Creek (when the greens are in good shape)
Magnolia Creek (ClubCorp)

Possible run for us on a long weekend so following along

It’s been 2-3 years since I played Moody Gardens, but it was good for a public course. There aren’t other public options on the island. Galveston Country Club is nicer than Moody Gardens, but they are private. Even going up 45 towards Houston there isn’t much good that’s not private (Magnolia Creek and South Shore Habor - both ClubCorp).

You’d have to drive an hour or so before you get to good public courses in Houston like Wildcat. Timber Creek is a low quality course and Wilderness is an hour drive in a different direction (Lake Jackson).

@bbutler & @MattyD-MPLS if you guys fly in/out of Houston you should hit up a few of us in town. We could probably set up a fun welcome or goodbye round!

I haven't played in Galveston, but I know a few course about 30 minutes closer towards Houston if you want to leave the island.

I definitely will! Have to see you and @mikeg_74! We are seeing what happens with the VID in the next couple months.

Moody Gardens is going to be your best bet on the island. I have not been out there in a while, but I know there are some courses in the area, but require you to drive off the island back towards Houston.

Moody is always in good shape so it should be fun.

I guess to add on, fun courses on the south side of Houston are:
Gus Wortham
Wildcat
Wilderness
Timber Creek (when the greens are in good shape)
Magnolia Creek (ClubCorp)
Clear Creek also is good

Yep, Moody is great and by far the best course in the area. Greens are usually fantastic and it's a fun layout. Very tough when the wind is blowing. Also, bring bug spray just in case. Mosquitoes can be absolutely awful out there.

that sums it up. Moody is a good course since they redid it many years ago. Played it a couple times when I lived down there.

I've played Moody Gardens about 8 times, 4 times when it was Galveston Island Municipal and 4 times since Moody took it over. With the redo they changed the routing of the front 9 and made some new holes, the back 9 is unchanged from when it was a Muni. Like others have said its a good course, nice greens, challenging esp when windy, lots of sand & water to avoid. Humidity is usually really high so stay hydrated or you will be zapped shortly after the turn.

Thanks we are headed down in Motorhome. Staying for somewhere near a week. Some plans have changed. Another couple had to cancel due to work. My son and his girlfriend are supposed to come. That may change also. I may be playing by myself.

It’s been 2-3 years since I played Moody Gardens, but it was good for a public course. There aren’t other public options on the island. Galveston Country Club is nicer than Moody Gardens, but they are private. Even going up 45 towards Houston there isn’t much good that’s not private (Magnolia Creek and South Shore Habor - both ClubCorp).

You’d have to drive an hour or so before you get to good public courses in Houston like Wildcat. Timber Creek is a low quality course and Wilderness is an hour drive in a different direction (Lake Jackson).
Some of our plans may change. Some of the group had to cancel. I may play moody a couple times. Then go to lake Jackson or back towards San Antonio.

I played Moody Gardens about a month ago. Enjoyed it. I have pics and a review on my golf page if you'd like to see it (I make no money off my page🙂).

My buddy Steve Yarotsky is the head greens superintendent there, and I think he's now splitting the GM responsibilites with another guy as of late. I've played there twice now and it's a great course.

Prediction: sustained wind speeds of 20-mph or so! lol

Still very much worth playing though (y)

Just booked our stay in Galveston for spring break and the wife approved a round of golf! Woohoo! @Jmk202 you available the 15th-18th for a round?

:ROFLMAO: No kids so I don't know when spring break is :ROFLMAO:

But, yeah looks like I'll be around. Want to play anywhere specific?
No, I am open.

we should be here and if I am, I’m in. Considering we don’t want him driving all over Houston maybe something in friendswood makes sense
Gotta be some decent courses in the league city area!

Back