Golf in the rain: how much worse?

goalie

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
So, I got out early today, and put up a 43 on the first nine. It started raining on the 9th, and started heavily raining on the 11th.

I ended up shooting 43/51 94. I was having trouble with clubs slipping in my grip on full swings. Putting got worse.

I'm not sure how much was me being me and how much was conditions.

How much worse do you guys usually play in heavy rain?

On a positive note, I kept my cigar lit, so there's that.

Last edited:
If raining that hard I'm out. I will play in some rain but not hard rain. Usually have to club up to keep yardages.

no lightning, I play. no matter how bad.

If I stay, definitely worse. I played through the rain 3 or 4 weeks ago because I was chasing an all time score, but missed a couple putts to finish. Soft conditions can help sometimes, but wet, and changing, never do. It's tough.

That's because there's no bad weather, just bad clothing/gear choices. 😎

Exactly, just ask my nasty wide brim bucket hat!

With the right clothing (including potentially rain gloves) I used to be a good mudder. I would like it when in a tournament the weather was bad because I knew it didn’t impact me much. If you can’t hold onto the club you can’t play though. Good grips lots of towels an umbrella and potentially rain gloves all help in the bad weather.

Heavy rains out here usually are associated with gusty winds, thunder, and lightening. I don't play in those conditions.

I have always accepted the fact, that as the weather deteriorated, so would my golf game. How much my game suffers coincides with the severity of the weather.

I can easily play 8-10 strokes higher in wetter conditions. If it's just a steady drizzle, that's not to bad on my score. It just becomes more a matter of club delection.

Where I see my game suffer the most is on wet greens. So wet, that the rolling ball puts up a rooster tail behind it. This becomes a "roll & hope" putt for me.

It's all about being a caddy to yourself. Put dry towels under the umbrella, keep the umbrella with you for as long as you can, hand it off to someone else that's not hitting, keep a number of gloves in your bag to change out, take it off between shots & also put that under the umbrella. It's all about being prepared for it. (y)

It's all about being a caddy to yourself. Put dry towels under the umbrella, keep the umbrella with you for as long as you can, hand it off to someone else that's not hitting, keep a number of gloves in your bag to change out, take it off between shots & also put that under the umbrella. It's all about being prepared for it. (y)
That would have interfered with keeping my cigar lit.

A man's gotta have priorities, and I'm not a heathen!!!!

Depends on course and company. There's been some times I have come back to the clubhouse because the course was great, Firestone South and a few other UBS that included an invite come to mind.

When weather is approaching or hits, you want to "hurry" to get done and bad things can happen. Tempo? Gone.
I just don't enjoy playing in the rain at all and avoid it if possible. Can do it for a club champ or match or whatever, but don't like it.

Really don't like playing in the rain. That said, I don't really have any rain gear (and playing in the rain isn't something that really happens in Vegas). The few times a heavy rain has come up while playing, I was miserable.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm just wondering (hoping) that the back nine was mostly the rain.

Rain makes golf much more difficult. Without rain gloves it is practically impossible for me to not have clubs slip out of my hand. I find myself more focused on my grip, etc than actually golfing.

chiefing that cigar, you got that goin for ya!

The problem is at this time of year rain is usually accompanied by thunder and lightning around here. Afternoon thunderstorms are pretty common in these hot and humid days. The rest of the year I can handle light rain, but when it starts to pour I'm heading to the club house.

Easily 8-10 strokes difference for me if I am unprepared. Now, if I know it is going to rain, I will pack my rain jacket/pants and take extra towels and do whatever possible to stay dry. Then the difference is about 4-5 strokes for me.... The main thing for me is just not to think about it and take 1-2 clubs extra every time depending on how heavy it is raining.

I'm another one for I won't tee off if its raining hard, but I will continue to play if it starts whilst out on the course, and then evaluate once the first 9 has been finished.

I don't particularly like playing in the rain, but I wouldn't say I play any worse. The hardest thing for me is keeping my glasses clear when I am not wearing contact lenses

The exception to that is if its a club competition, then I'm teeing off no matter what

I don’t mind playing in the rain. I walk with a push cart and keep my umbrella and waterproofs in my bag at all times. My favourite piece of rain kit: FJ RainGrip gloves.

Scores don’t usually suffer that much. Maybe a couple strokes... unless the greens look more like a pond. Then I’m just out for fun, and I know my score is gone.

I won't go play if it's already raining. Our most frequent rains are summer thunderstorms during the monsoon, which develop seemingly out of nowhere and involve lots of wind, thunder, lightning and quick, heavy downpours. I'll stay out and play if we get caught out in the rain as long as there's no lightning nearby, since the rain is warm and not entirely uncomfortable. But sure, it can affect your game. You don't get as much roll on wet fairways, greens slow down, the air is heavier and you lose carry, grips get slippery, footing isn't as sure, etc.

Cold winter rain? Forget it, I'll be indoors with my jammies and fuzzy slippers on, sipping a cup of hot coffee and watching the rain through the windows.

If there's no wind and it's just a light rain it won't bother me. Rain gloves. If there's wind I'm out of there. It isn't fun when I can't see and I'm getting soaked.

I typically don’t carry rain gear outside of rain gloves. I also shot one of my best rounds in a steady rain so I don’t think it impacts my game too much unless we’re talking heavy wind and rain.

I typically don’t carry rain gear outside of rain gloves. I also shot one of my best rounds in a steady rain so I don’t think it impacts my game too much unless we’re talking heavy wind and rain.
I just carry a light water-resistant (not waterproof) quarter zip in my bag, as rain isn't something we have to deal with that often. I usually don't even bother with it in the summer thunderstorms, so it doesn't get much use.

Back