Golf in the rain: how much worse?

Hard to say how much worse I play in the rain because I usually quit when it starts. I'll finish the hole I'm on and maybe play one more just to see if it's a passing shower. But if it keeps up for more than 20 minutes or so I walk in. Just don't enjoy anything about playing in the rain.

If equipped to play in it (waterproofs, rain gloves, etc.) I haven't really noticed it effecting my scores. Normally just adjust club selection and keep on playing. Unless there is lightning of course.

I’m out if it’s anything more then a brief drizzle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the running joke in the group I usually play in is that if it starts raining I go from a 6 to a +2 in the rain. Dunnow why but if rain starts coming down I will play better for some off the wall reason.

I will not play in the rain. Maybe a little sprinkle, or a quick 5 minute shower, but once "drops" start to fall I'm heading off the course.

If raining that hard I'm out. I will play in some rain but not hard rain. Usually have to club up to keep yardages.

I hate playing in the rain! We'll usually go hide out under a tree or something and hope that it passes. Smart phones with weather radar help make a decision.

Honestly play better or the same assuming no wind issues. My driver goes straight when the face is wet and wedge shots stop on a dime from 45 yards.

I enjoy playing in the rain, but can’t say I’ve played in heavy rain, I’m in California.

I’d say around 5 strokes worse for me depending on how cold and bad it’s raining. Straight down might be a little better than coming in sideways.

To me, hardest part is adjusting distances on the fly. The rain makes all the greens and fairways softer, so there is little to no run out. Plus the greens slow down hugely, so pace of putts is an issue. Rough is likely to get a bit stickier as well, and it becomes easier to hit the irons a bit fat. Other than that, no problems at all :LOL:

More of my rounds are played in the rain than not, so it doesn't phase me as long as I'm warm and in the right clothes.

Depends on the rain. I played one time and putting had a rooster tail behind the ball. No matter how hard you hit it, it only went a tiny distance. Finally had to stop and call it a day. Got soaked so try to avoid it after that experience.

Light rain won’t effect my score much. Add a couple strokes maybe. Rain gloves a must for sure. Hardest part for me is seeing as I wear glasses. Drizzle stick umbrellas for clubs is a must for me.

Last October in South Carolina for AmTour Tournament hit by tropical form day two. Was well prepared with foul weather gear, or so I thought. Three hour downpour shortly after we began the round. Big winds too. Nobody was dry under their rain gear. They canceled the day after about 13 holes as course was flooding. My group was ticked as we only had five holes to go...lol. We spent more time laughing at the conditions than mad at the weather. Poured water from our shoes back at the car. Scores were up, but not really as much as you’d expect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back