jvbart

2022 Quest Cup with Edel Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It looks like there is going to be some rain for my round tomorrow. Living in San Diego I have never actually played a round in the rain. Does anyone have advice for how some light rain or a wet ball will effect distance, spin and ball flight? Anything else to adjust for when playing in the rain versus normal dry conditions? Thanks!!!

Course conditions vary in the rain obviously, but:
-Wet balls basically make every shot a flier lie, but they'll land soft.
-On wet greens your low chips will skid and bite late or not at all.
-High pitches will land softer usually.

Bring a couple extra dry towels to dry your grips.

Take extra gloves for sure. Chips will run out more than normal. Putts will be slower.

Have fun, enjoy golf the way it was meant to be played..
If its really wet you may be lucky enough to have the course to yourself..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have fun, enjoy golf the way it was meant to be played..
If its really wet you may be lucky enough to have the course to yourself..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I’m hoping so, people in San Diego are notoriously fickle with a slight bit of rain so we may get an open course which will be a nice change from the summer blitz.

Extra gloves, and towels. Have plastic bag handy to slip over your golf bag to keep it as dry as possible. Keep your golf grips as dry as possible, for as long as possible.

I have sometimes switched to gloves with a rubber surface on the palm side of my hands. I have also worn cooking mittens over my golf gloves in between shots to keep my gloves dry.

An umbrella is not a bad idea.

Also, unless you are an accomplished ball striker, if the turf gets to wet, seriously think about using more metal woods than irons. Choke down/up, and use different length swings for the distances required. Metal woods won't dig into the wet turf as easily as an iron. Fewer fatties

If you still plan to use your irons, think "thin to win" on your ball striking.

Think putter first on those close chip shots off the green. Again, fewer fatties.

The stimp on wet greens is going to run slower than normal. Adjust accordingly.

Plan on the round taking little longer than normal due to more bad shots.

We're 200 days with no measurable rain in my area. I'd play in a flash flood if I get the chance. Something different.

Some people might disagree, but I love rain gloves. Makes a huge difference. Don’t even have to wear both (typically come in a pair), can just wear one on your typical glove hand. But it’s made a big difference for me in rainy rounds.

Rain gloves are the answer, it makes it so you don't really need to worry about keeping things dry as much. FootJoy are quote good.

Aside from that, lots of towels, I club up and swing easier in the rain because your handle on the club may not be as good. Be patient and enjoy.

Extra towels are a must. If you need to bring multiple clubs with you for a shot (highly probable if it's CPO), bring a towel with you to lay your grips on while hitting. If you're playing on Bermuda grass it gets slightly slicker when wet, so watch your footing. Wet sand in the bunkers is heavier.

Foot-Joy Rain gloves, they get better the wetter it gets...I find myself wiping the wet grass when it's iffy.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Rain Gloves, Umbrella, Xtra Towels.

Grip down slightly, play ball a tiny bit back from your usual position and adjust as you go

Wow awesome tips thanks everyone. Hopefully the pro shop has rain gloves. I’m actually excited to play a round in the rain, should be fun to try something different.

waterproof windbreaker, put a towel in your bag pocket to dry your grips and suffer well ;)

It looks like there is going to be some rain for my round tomorrow. Living in San Diego I have never actually played a round in the rain. Does anyone have advice for how some light rain or a wet ball will effect distance, spin and ball flight? Anything else to adjust for when playing in the rain versus normal dry conditions? Thanks!!!

I’m Scottish and still live in Scotland. Umbrella up, hang your towels from inside the umbrella if you have a trolley with an umbrella holder. Keep your grips dry. If the rain is heavy, make sure you have a couple of spare gloves and change when they start to lose feel or grip.

High pitches will land softer depending how receptive your greens are. Chip and runs may or may not behave how you want them, depending on how you play. The ball might skid or it might bite. It becomes a far, far more challenging game in the wind and rain, but I find it more enjoyable.

Drives don’t travel as far in the rain either, although depending on spin, they can travel on greasy fairways.

The rough is harder to play out of in the rain.

Don’t just keep your grips dry. Keep your grooves dry too. They won’t grab onto the ball as much in the wet.

Enjoy it. Rain is the norm for us here.

Last edited:
Rain gloves are the answer, it makes it so you don't really need to worry about keeping things dry as much. FootJoy are quote good.

Aside from that, lots of towels, I club up and swing easier in the rain because your handle on the club may not be as good. Be patient and enjoy.

I wear the Mizuno ones and they are great for the old Scottish rain, which is usually between heavy and torrential.

You’re also looking to clip the ball off the turf rather than compress the ball into the ground. It’s still ball first but you’re talking about taking the ball a couple of mm later than usual. That’ll save you a few shots.

It’s harder, but it’s better, in the rain.

As multiple have said, rain gloves & umbrella.

I don't wear golf gloves, so even the best rain gloves cause me to lose the feel of the club.

For the no glove players on here, I picked up a tip from reading a Tom Watson article from in one of the golf magazines many years ago about using a handkerchief. I tried it and it worked beautifully. I have kept a thin "hanky" cut in half in my bag ever since.

The feel is much better than a glove and it's within the rules..

Thanks to this thread, I realised I didn't actually have any rain gloves, rectified that by buying a Pair of Footjoy raingrip gloves

...Living in San Diego I have never actually played a round in the rain...
I can hear the laughter from the folks in the British Isles as I sit here reading this.

Definitely agree with extra towels and thin to win on iron shots. Clubs chunk in the wet soft fairways

I can hear the laughter from the folks in the British Isles as I sit here reading this.

It would be nice to play a round where it doesn’t rain

Back