Golf Instruction: Online or In Person

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you currently taking golf lessons? If so, are they online or in-person? For anyone taking online lessons, have you found them to be as effective as in-person instruction?

Not personally taken lessons (haven't ever gone down that path) but I know @93civiccpe is working with his coach through online stuff and has been pretty successful!

i'm in-person right now. i think with the right setup you can totally do online, BUT i think it should be via zoom or facetime. personally i need real-time feedback to tell me what i'm doing wrong and how to fix it, and also to be able to ask questions during the session.

Following to see how it works for others.

I take in-person lessons whenever I can. That's the most effective.

That said, an online lesson is preferable to trying to go-it-alone or working strictly from YouTube videos.

In person for me. Im not sure id like online at all. I need him to be there, analyzing little flaws and correcting realtime. We dont just work on full swings. We do short game, putting, chipping, half swings, contact etc. He has specific aids that are immensely affective. Like a contraption you physically step into that works on each persons plane. PVC pipe that has a pool noodle on the end of it that he holds and stands behind me to get something into place at the top end of my backswing that i need to physically stay underneath to be on plane and get deep enough during my backswing.

I just dont think these types of tools or aids hit home......at home. Thats just me. Ohh, not to mention a grass tee, grass short game area, short game course (9 holes), Huge indoor putting and short game area.

I am very curious to read thoughts from those that have done the online lessons. I can't see how they would be very effective unless you are working one on one and sending video to the instructor of your swings.

In person with video updates/messages.

I've only had one lesson in my life. I do spend quite a bit of time online looking at various tips/drills/instruction.

I think if you have a fairly solid understanding of the golf swing, and especially understand your own faults and tendencies, you will be able to get more out of online instruction. I wouldn't necessarily recommend much of it to a beginner (other than online instructions aimed at beginners).

Am taking them, and doing it in person. I could see doing it online, but I think I would need some specific things to be in place for it to work.

Not personally taken lessons (haven't ever gone down that path) but I know @93civiccpe is working with his coach through online stuff and has been pretty successful!
Since the winter time I've been working with a coach in the UK. I send him videos of my swing through the Skillest app and usually within a day I get videos back from the instructor walking me through the swing and what drills he wants me working on. At least once a month we do a live lesson using zoom where I set up a tripod at the range for my cell phone and use ear buds to talk with him. It is crazy how effective the lessons have been!

Since the winter time I've been working with a coach in the UK. I send him videos of my swing through the Skillest app and usually within a day I get videos back from the instructor walking me through the swing and what drills he wants me working on. At least once a month we do a live lesson using zoom where I set up a tripod at the range for my cell phone and use ear buds to talk with him. It is crazy how effective the lessons have been!
I knew they were working well for you! Can't wait to see ya play in a month!

For the lessons I have had in the past, I have always done in-person - I just don't see how effective an online lesson can be personally
If they work for someone else, great, but they are not for me

In person every time. My instructor is completely old school, and doesn't even use launch monitor data. He relies on watching the ball flight and the body movements to be able to tell what's going on and he's absolutely on the money every time. I get how online could work for the basic mechanics etc, but has to be in person for me.

I have done in-person with local instructors. I like that I can have impromptu check-ins. Never tried online. I am an experiential learner and expect online would not work as well for me. That said, I am looking to shake up my putting — sure can’t hurt 😆 — and everything is on the table ranging from online lessons to a lobotomy. ;)

Back