Golf league, or not?

Golden Ferret

Reaction score
We were hoping to start leagues here in upstate NY next week, but just got word a course in a nearby area got closed down and fined for shotgun starting a 22 team league (44 guys). Whats the word on leagues in your area? What changes did you have to make?
Thx.

League was cancelled on us... Mostly because it was a work league.

We were hoping to start leagues here in upstate NY next week, but just got word a course in a nearby area got closed down and fined for shotgun starting a 22 team league (44 guys). Whats the word on leagues in your area? What changes did you have to make?
Thx.

Where are you in NY? I haven’t heard of any issues in the Albany area.

Thx.

My league is full speed ahead. 5th week is this upcoming Saturday.

Courses are back open so I believe most of the leagues are going to be rolling. I played last week and when I got off 18 a big league group was starting.

We opened leagues back up 3 weeks ago. Every man gets his own cart. It's only a 14 team league. Staggered tee times. Up until last week the clubhouse wasn't open, but WI opened those back up. Just a lot of hand washing and hand sanitizer and not pulling the flagstick.

Sounds like next week we go back to the shotgun starts.

Our league starts next Tuesday. 1 person per cart only, no pulling the flagsticks,

My home course's (Maryland) Wednesday night league started last week after being delayed about a month.

Our league finally starts on June 1.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm in NY also. My league normally starts the 1st Monday in May. We were pushed back to this past week, once carts were allowed. No issues that I've heard of.

Just found out that we are now going to wait for "Phase 4" before we start league.
Bummer.

I believe leagues around here are going strong, not sure since I'm not in a league.

Playing a Mon night men’s league here. As far as I know all leagues on my course are up and running. Standard distancing golf precautions. I was going to play another league (diff course), but that was canceled, I think.

My non-THP AZ league kept having events throughout the entire stay at home order in AZ. We did switch from shotguns to tee times and it is a testament to the league board and golf courses that things went without a hitch (10 events on 10 different courses). We stopped having CTP's as the tape measures would be touched by multiple people. We also suspended the HIO insurance. You couldn't buy any rounds after golf and celebrate so no HIO pot for you. The request was put out that we have more walkers so that has been nice. Pace has actually improved dramatically with all the walkers, 1 person per cart, no shotguns, and longer spaced tee times. As we are getting into the summer, well over 100 today, they are still asking for walkers and that will be a fun experiment.

Most courses I have played in the league have had foam in the cups with the occasional upside down cup. I don't think we ever played with a raised cup. I have not seen a rake in a long time. Here are the local rules updates for the league.

Just tried to register for next week's event and CTP's and HIO insurance is back.

WALKING IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED AT ALL EVENTS
- ALL Putts are to be holed out
- Rakes may or may not be available.
- This is now a LOCAL RULE, ONLY when no rakes are provided: Players can move a ball that comes to rest in a “disturbed area” within the bunker, up to 1 club length from where it comes to rest, staying INSIDE the bunker (no penalty). Please smooth bunkers with feet/club as best as possible after playing your shot.
- Flagsticks are to remain in the cup at all times - DO NOT REMOVE FLAGS
- Bring your own cooler, snacks, non-alcoholic beverages
- Two, 4 PERSON CARDS
per group will be distributed. ONLY ONE PERSON SCORES THE THE OFFICIAL CARD, one person scores the "attest" card. All players attest to final scores BUT do not sign (take a picture if you want a copy)
- APP: Save/close on the course at your final hole. App score as entered will be considered official (one person scores for all 4 players on the card, one other person scores on the App)
- OFFICIAL Card Scorer is to keep the hard copy 4 person card after the round in case we need clarification. You may be asked to take a picture and send to us. Do not throw out the card until results are posted.
- There are no CTP or 2nd shot proxy holes until further notice
- There will not be any NSMGA signage on the course until further notice

One league is completely shut down for the season. Another is organizing set tee times for each team for duration of the season...

My league starts this week for practice and 1st week of June for real.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The league I joined has been playing since April and going strong. We have a game Saturday. We just obey the course rules, but most courses around here are not too strict, mostly 1 per cart if that is what you want, if not, 2 per cart. All up to you.

I've run a 9 hole "after work" league for many years. This year we decided to change to a new course which has complicated things during the pandemic as the new course is not very good about communicating anything. I was half tempted to just cancel the season since the clubhouse/grill will be closed which means no post-round gathering which is a big part of the reason the league is fun. But we're going ahead, first event will be this Friday. Going to be strange....

My league started up 3 weeks ago in Idaho. I was breaking the law by crossing the state line from Washington as us Washingtonians were not welcome until last week.

My non-THP AZ league kept having events throughout the entire stay at home order in AZ. We did switch from shotguns to tee times and it is a testament to the league board and golf courses that things went without a hitch (10 events on 10 different courses). We stopped having CTP's as the tape measures would be touched by multiple people. We also suspended the HIO insurance. You couldn't buy any rounds after golf and celebrate so no HIO pot for you. The request was put out that we have more walkers so that has been nice. Pace has actually improved dramatically with all the walkers, 1 person per cart, no shotguns, and longer spaced tee times. As we are getting into the summer, well over 100 today, they are still asking for walkers and that will be a fun experiment.

Most courses I have played in the league have had foam in the cups with the occasional upside down cup. I don't think we ever played with a raised cup. I have not seen a rake in a long time. Here are the local rules updates for the league.

Just tried to register for next week's event and CTP's and HIO insurance is back.

WALKING IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED AT ALL EVENTS
- ALL Putts are to be holed out
- Rakes may or may not be available.
- This is now a LOCAL RULE, ONLY when no rakes are provided: Players can move a ball that comes to rest in a “disturbed area” within the bunker, up to 1 club length from where it comes to rest, staying INSIDE the bunker (no penalty). Please smooth bunkers with feet/club as best as possible after playing your shot.
- Flagsticks are to remain in the cup at all times - DO NOT REMOVE FLAGS
- Bring your own cooler, snacks, non-alcoholic beverages
- Two, 4 PERSON CARDS
per group will be distributed. ONLY ONE PERSON SCORES THE THE OFFICIAL CARD, one person scores the "attest" card. All players attest to final scores BUT do not sign (take a picture if you want a copy)
- APP: Save/close on the course at your final hole. App score as entered will be considered official (one person scores for all 4 players on the card, one other person scores on the App)
- OFFICIAL Card Scorer is to keep the hard copy 4 person card after the round in case we need clarification. You may be asked to take a picture and send to us. Do not throw out the card until results are posted.
- There are no CTP or 2nd shot proxy holes until further notice
- There will not be any NSMGA signage on the course until further notice
Thanks for that info, will be passing it along hoping it helps us get started.

We are working from home for the foreseeable future and just confirmed golf league for work is a go!

Talking with my wife this evening I’m joining a men’s league at the course I play. I need something to motivate me and help me focus on getting better

Talking with my wife this evening I’m joining a men’s league at the course I play. I need something to motivate me and help me focus on getting better

There’s a rumor that someone might be looking for a partner at Horseshoe this year. That might be pretty good motivation to get the game in shape!!

Back