Golf Leagues: Putt out or Allow Gimmies?

Nope, just putt it out.

Hole em out or then personal friendships become into question when someone gives one putt to one person and not another. Only fair way to do it in my eyes

This is my first year in a golf league in quite some time. About an hour before the league kicked off last week were all notified that there will be no gimmie putts this year and the ball needed to be holed out. Not a big deal on the putting part, however as my group noted last week, it did add time to the rounds. Anyway, I'm just curious, if you are in a league, do you allow gimmies or no?
When I sub in for our league, we rarely play without gimmes. They can get a little bit tight at the end, but since we are playing only against the other pairing in our foursome, it's our discretion.

No gimmes makes no sense to me unless it's everyone playing everyone else.

Our work league has 16 players of varying abilities, so everything is based off your handicap and a point system. The higher your handicap, the lower number of points you have to get to break even. We pay out for first-second-third based on the total adjusted score. For example, I currently need 6 points on 9 holes to break even. Winners are typically +1 or +2, but you sometimes have an outlier having a real good day getting +4 or higher. Handicaps are adjusted weekly (up or down) based on performance.

Any putt for points (bogey or better) needs to be holed out. Double or higher, gimmes are allowed.

This is my first year in a golf league in quite some time. About an hour before the league kicked off last week were all notified that there will be no gimmie putts this year and the ball needed to be holed out. Not a big deal on the putting part, however as my group noted last week, it did add time to the rounds. Anyway, I'm just curious, if you are in a league, do you allow gimmies or no?
Keep the game moving!

We do inside leather as an automatic gimme. Anything longer is at the opponent's discretion.

Our format is six sets of 3-holes and is handicapped.

That is generally how it works in our league. I would personally be in favor of putting out, but I go with the flow.

Gimmies on Par putts within 8"-10", Birdies/Eagles have to put out. We also have the No Mas Rule = DBL PAR for Score Max, Except Par 5's, 8 is MAX

That sounds reasonable. Nobody is going to give Birdie/Eagle putts! You have to make those. As for par, I know some folks who refuse to give those, but I'm undecided. I think it depends on my situation. If I, or my team, is in for par, and you're 6 inches away, I sincerely doubt that you, or you and your partner, will miss that putt, I will probably give it.

There are not and never will be gimmies allowed in the league I play in, as I will go somewhere else if they do.
We allow that in friendly games MOST of the time but if you're playing under the Rules of Golf ... Nevah!

Is there money? No gimmies!

If it is matchplay, then holes/putts can be conceded, anything else and putts must be holed

Tonights league is matchplay so there will be some putts conceded, whereas the one on Saturday is a team Stableford format so everything has to be holed unless you can't score

I've never played in a league that allowed gimmies. But a league I played in last year (not this year for me) is now mandating gimmies if the ball is within the putter head to bottom of the grip in an effort to speed up play. Sounds like the guys with the long putter shafts will get an advantage. Glad I am not playing that league this year.
I played with a guy who had a piece of yellow tape on his putter shaft. His normal group all have this at the same length from head to tape (about 18”).

I play with longstanding groups at a private club. Random draw partners then go play, everybody puts a few dollars in the pot.

When the subject comes up I always vote for putting everything out. And that's not withstanding the fact that I go through spells of being a little "mental" over 2-footers myself. I'd just rather avoid the whole thing of trying to police what's a gimme and what's not.

Generally we putt out. But sometimes the group decides on "inside the leather". I go along with whatever the game of the day is but would rather that whole idea just die.

FWIW, I don't like rolling the ball in the fairway either. But that gets outvoted every time it rains an inch or two the night before. Grrrrrrr.

My Sunday game putts everything out. My Wednesday game allows gimmes, using the modern "inside the leather" as opposed to the length of a grip. People lay their putter down to measure, some complain that they have short putters. The past two weeks, there has been discussion of going to holing everything out. I'm perfectly fine with that. Takes away any question.

I've never played in a league that allowed gimmies. But a league I played in last year (not this year for me) is now mandating gimmies if the ball is within the putter head to bottom of the grip in an effort to speed up play. Sounds like the guys with the long putter shafts will get an advantage. Glad I am not playing that league this year.
I wouldn't play in it either. That's a joke.

Ours always putts out

$$ involved? Stroke play? Putt out!
I've seen guys miss 4 inch putts.
Match Play? Different rules.

we allow gimmies up to 2 feet birdy and eagle have to be holes regardless of distance speeds up the game and we play to have fun. were not playing to millions.

Back