Golf Leagues: Putt out or Allow Gimmies?

Don't play in a league but I'd rather see generous gimmes than people taking a minute to hit their 3-footer for 6 net 5. Getting stuck behind league play is already brutal.

Never. Scores shouldn't count if gimmies are involved. Jmo.

Now if the committee says they are allowed, then sure. Just as long as they define the maximum inches they are allowing. I' d favor 5" inches or less.

My league putts out, and I like it that way.
I never liked the idea of a 30 cap and a scratch golfer having the same gimme range - it ain't right.

Some of the guys in my league joke "that's a good". Of course, if you weren't thinking and picked up you would be DQ'd.

Some of the guys in my league joke "that's a good". Of course, if you weren't thinking and picked up you would be DQ'd.
I may or may not have been caught out with that :LOL:

First medal I ever played, so used to playing bounce games with friends that on the first hole I was about 14 inches away from the hole and just scooped the ball up with the putter and headed to the next tee. My playing partner informed me on the tee that my competition was over :LOL:

I recall in our golf group one elderly member said it’s a gimme , hole diameter away from the hole in distance on slight slope , we said no it is‘not. He putted caught edge 180 deg turn and ended up approx 1.2 metres (4 ft ) from the hole . The there of us in the group could not stand up laughing 😆 and torrent of swearing and abuse and more swearing lol.

So no gimme play the hole out , no margin of discretion , it created clarity for all

Gimmies were at the discretion of the players. Kind of a leave penny take a penny situation. Don't be a richard on shorties, but know if you make them putt it, you better know its coming back that you have to putt out later.
Gave a guy a 3 footer for a win on hole 1 of our Match Play Championship match last week. On hole 3 he made me putt one that was about 2 feet to win that hole. I made it. He then went on to leave himself 6 different 2'-3' putts the rest of the way and I made him putt them all LOL!

Never heard of gimmes restricted for match play. Conceding putts is an integral part of match play.

If it's individual match play gimmes should be allowed especially pace of play but it should be discretionary. If I put it in the pond sitting 3 and the opponent is on the green in reg, I'm likely to concede the hole.

My league allows a gimme and if Its inside the leather I am reasonably liberal with it unless its for Birdie then your putting it out and I don't care if it's a inch!!
My other thought is that its a fun league not a super competitive league and that certainly makes a difference. It's not like the course record is ever in jeopardy.

Last edited:
The league I played was match play, so gimmies were allowed.

No gimmies are “allowed” in our league. My partner and I always putt ours out regardless if it’s given or not.

However we have some very high caps in our league and quite frankly I think it’s more about fun than it is about winning. So if they are putting for 8 from a foot and a half I’ll give them that putt for self confidence and time sake

How much time can it add?

The league I'm in allows gimmies. It has caused some butthurt though.

Yep anything inside the leather is good unless its for birdie or eagle. Sometimes if the hole is already lost and its for a 6 or 7 guys will just give it as well.

In my work league, gimmies were allowed and encouraged for pace of play. My new league starts tomorrow and is 4 ball match play, so I would assume conceded putts are also allowed.

Group meeting before first league match this year. No gimmies, period. And it is interesting watching people cope with that. They miss a 2 footer the rolls round the edge and struggle to accept the outcome: "no, that was a gimme, I wasn't trying, it counts." Uh nope.

Outside of match play, which is a completely different beast, I think it is important that we all putt out into the hole. Many of those short putts can be some of the most challenging shots of the day with sneaky little breaks and such. That's part of golf. I don't get a gimme on my drive. Same for putts. Each counts as a stroke.

Didn't get to do a league this year, but have for about the past 5 years. We allowed gimmies.

Our league is hole everything out in stroke play. I do wonder if other groups do the same thing tho.

In my league there are gimmies allowed, abut the length of a putter grip. But, if your opponent is putting for score that will win the hole, you have to putt it out.

I played in one league 20 years ago and hated it because it was hardcore. The AZ THP league is a lot more fun for me and a little more relaxed. We allow conceded putts that are discretionary if it is for more than net par; finish anything for net par or better due to skins.

I've been in golf leagues where there were no gimmees, and others where "inside the leather" was conceded. Gimmee putts did make rounds go much quicker as it eliminated golfers freezing over 12" putts, or marking and re-marking their balls. Even in leagues where there were no gimmees, putts were usually conceded within 12" or so.

In my league we are allowed to concede putts for the other team, buts its match play.

At the end of the day, we are no pros.
By the rules there are no gimmies on stroke play, right?
However with a friendly format that most leagues are, less than a foot is good on my book, but I have seen people giving themselves gimmies from 15 feet away. If the rules explicitly say no gimmies, then I have no problem finishing my putts.
There will be opinions on both sides of this.

This ought to be pretty simple. Stroke play, putt 'em all out; match play, allow concessions.

My league is all about gimmies and we have to if we want to finish before dark.

Back