Golf Lessons Thread

I like my last instructor personality-wise. I've known him for years and he was in fact my first instructor in 2012 (that was a bad experience but another story.) When I talked to him again about lessons in 2018, I was adamant about needing help with mechanics and specifically shifting my weight properly. I explained that I can do this while practicing but often fail once I'm on the course. I'd sent him a video of my swing which he said is better than most. (I've seen my swing and it definitely is not better than most). My only condition is that he not give up on me as I'm a slow learner who cannot make changes quickly. I asked if he could help me learn to get my weight forward and his response was a confident "of course". So I payed ahead for 4 1-hour lessons.

The first lesson involved him watching as I played 5 or 6 holes and I thought this is perfect. He says the main issue is a lack of focus and pre-shot routine. I think, this isn't what we talked about but it did make sense and he's the PGA pro. (He is also very much into the mental side of golf.... accepting bad shots, etc.) In terms of mechanics, he said keep it simple, straight back straight through without stopping (I have a tendency to "hitch" at the top).

He gave me a written lesson plan and I worked hard on developing what he asked regarding the pregame routine, accepting the results and focusing on the next shot. I was excited about how the lessons were going and would include those lesson plans during rounds of golf.

Subsequent lessons involved me hitting balls on the range with him watching but offering little in the way of advice. I finally asked him about the weight shift. He showed me what he does, offered the step-through drill - which I'd tried a million times - and that was it. I continued to struggle on the course, often finishing my swing with the weight back. Still, I tried to keep up with what had been taught... exact same pre-shot routine, picture the shot, swing back and swing through, accept the results.

We go out one more time for an on-course lesson with him playing as well. I happened to be playing well that afternoon and was keeping up with him. We get to the last hole and I chunk a 7i approach. I drop another and chunk that one.

His comment? "You're not getting your weight forward".:dohanim:

I think many teaching pros (not all) just hate working with students like me. It's gotta be painful, I get that. They have seen so many students over their careers and can immediately see someone's potential. No matter how passionate an individual might be towards improvement, I think to some pros teaching students like us simply becomes a way to pay the bills.

After we shoot range days I’m 1) going to the ortho to get my arm checked out then 2) getting lessons again if I don’t have something serious wrong. I’ve found a new instructor in the area an I’m going to give him a go.

went for my second lesson yesterday...trying to incorporate the changes to my swing makes me think I have some frustrating rounds coming up :cry:

After we shoot range days I’m 1) going to the ortho to get my arm checked out then 2) getting lessons again if I don’t have something serious wrong. I’ve found a new instructor in the area an I’m going to give him a go.

What happened to your arm? I don't know if you mentioned it somewhere else. Apologize if you are repeating yourself.

I have never taken any lessons. Considering it for the first time this year.

went for my second lesson yesterday...trying to incorporate the changes to my swing makes me think I have some frustrating rounds coming up :cry:
Spend some time on the range to incorporate it as much as you can. You will be fine.

I was talking to Jen earlier and she mentioned about wanting to go up to our club tomorrow to speak to our pro about sorting some lessons - I have said it for the last year that I am happy to pay for lessons for her with a view to then getting her fitted for some new clubs, but she hasn't seemed as keen as she is now

Maybe she is getting a bit more serious about her game, but I am pleased to see her wanting to do this now

What happened to your arm? I don't know if you mentioned it somewhere else. Apologize if you are repeating yourself.

I have never taken any lessons. Considering it for the first time this year.
That’s what I’m going to the doctor to find out.

I'm looking for an affordable instructor in San Diego but don't even know where to start lol.

That’s what I’m going to the doctor to find out.

Oh so not incident that you know caused it. Well Good luck, hope they have good news.

Spend some time on the range to incorporate it as much as you can. You will be fine.

I went back yesterday afternoon for some range time to "get it right"... Walking 9 right now and it's been okay so far... Only lost a ball on a driver slice :cautious: but everything else is not as bad as I thought. We'll see if I can continue :ROFLMAO:

Waiting on the weather to get nicer to take more lessons!

I didn't take a formal lesson today, but I ran into my instructor at the start of my chipping practice today. He came over and told me I was pulling the club way inside on the takeaway. I focused a lot on more of a straight back move to start the backswing, and saw a lot of good stuff. I have struggled with that inside move in my short game for a long time, and I think it's exacerbated by a closed setup. So I also focused on more of a neutral setup, stacking my shoulders and hips and knees over my feet, and again saw some good stuff. That probably explains why sometimes I feel so out of sync and completely lost one shot, then the very next shot can feel super crisp and effortless.

My Tour Striker PlaneMate should arrive today - I'm excited to see how much this will help with those short shots. Based on other's feedback (including Rory), it should be very effective. I'll let you know ASAP.

I have the opportunity for two hours of pga professional training with trackman and indoor facility, swing evaluation, personalized practice plan, takes video / pictures and I get an additional range session indoors (1 hour).... $200? Is this something I should take advantage of?

I have the opportunity for two hours of pga professional training with trackman and indoor facility, swing evaluation, personalized practice plan, takes video / pictures and I get an additional range session indoors (1 hour).... $200? Is this something I should take advantage of?
If it's a instructor you think you can mesh with, or have seen before, it sounds like a good idea.

the swing adjustment is taking...it really helped with my pitching and chipping today.

Back