Golf Lies: Which Give You the Most Trouble?

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
At my course, the 18th hole plays down hill towards the water with a carry over the water to the green. If you hit your drive more than 250yds in the fairway, you are left with a downhill lie to an elevate green. I'm sure it's mental, but I have split the fairway on this Par 4 hole and still ended up bogey or double more times than I can remember. The downhill lie (which also tapers right) to an elevate green gets in my head more times than not, especially on windy days.

What lies do you struggle with most?

Ball below your feet on a sidehill. Ball should go right, somehow I pull it dead left :rolleyes: OR bad words happen

Definitely downhill for me. Those are challenging for we who have a shallow angle of attack.

Ball below your feet on a sidehill. Ball should go right, somehow I pull it dead left :rolleyes: OR bad words happen
Those are especially challenging in deep rough, at least for me.

Ball above my feet on a downslope.

Hard pan or mushy-wet chips/pitchs ( 20-50 yards ).

The lie you’re describing. Downhill from back to front foot. I always seem to catch the ball fat or just thin it. I had a really frustrating one of those on thanksgiving. My plan is to move the ball back in my stance and take practice swings to accustom myself to the lie before hitting the ball. We will see how that goes.

I would like to say flat lies because I rarely get a flat lie on one of the courses I play. But kidding aside, the downhill, sidehill lie with the ball below my feet gives me the most trouble.

Haha! This is me. I struggled on which lie to lead with but this was a close second. I think I overcompensate or something, but the fade lie is going left for me.

At the Hideaway, I can't remember how many swings I had to take with the ball above my feet. I've since learned how to play that lie after two days of embarrassing myself. :banghead::ROFLMAO:

Either uphill or downhill lies....I’m fine with the ball being above or below my feet. Don’t know what it is but I can’t figure out where to put the ball at in my stance and I just hate it lol.

for me this lie is the shankalottamus

Downhill lies, whether on the fairway, or around the green, always give me issues. Around the green and chances are I come to short, or now have a shot from the other side of the green....

Side hill, ball below my feet.

everything mentioned above...and the occasional clean lie on the fairway ;)

Downhill with the ball below my feet is the worst for me. I struggle getting a good alignment on this type of stance.

i think for me it's the gnarly bermuda rough lie that i have to hit more than 150 yards. i just don't have the hand/forearm strength to gouge it out. second is the short-sided greenside lie, into the grain, pitching to an elevated green surface. it's a disaster.

Anything with the ball below my feet. Above my feet I am fine, but below can be a very unpredictable situation.

ball below feet - usually careens straight right and generally there is woods / water/ a ton of unfriendly stuff in that direction.

i think for me it's the gnarly bermuda rough lie that i have to hit more than 150 yards. i just don't have the hand/forearm strength to gouge it out. second is the short-sided greenside lie, into the grain, pitching to an elevated green surface. it's a disaster.

That just sounds stressful.

Ball above my feet is my least favorite. I struggle with directional control sometimes drawing like it should, sometimes blocking it to right field.

Downhill with the ball below my feet is the worst for me. I struggle getting a good alignment on this type of stance.

Do you feel like the club you’re using can either lessen or worsen the struggle. A downhill lie with my wedges seems more difficult than a downhill lie with my 5i.

First tee EVERY time I play with a THP’er for the first time.

It has been decreed from somewhere high up that I shall top every single one of those. I don’t even fight it anymore. It is what it is.

Back