Golf Membership: What Does It Mean To You?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I know not everyone here is members at a golf course, but I've had lots of chats lately about playing local or isolating to a single spot.

Makes me curious how the THP crew feels about it. If you're a member somewhere, why and what does it mean for you?

Only way to access the best course within 90 minutes.
Only way to get a sub 4 hour round in.
Can pop in for a quick last minute 9 in the evening most days.

Besides the golf, several social and family positives as well.

Right now for me it means playing most of my golf at the same public course and saving money through quantity of rounds played. After some consideration, I opted for the more expensive, but far more fun golf course.

Ideally in the future it means joining a club and playing most of my golf there. Meeting other members and making lifelong friends. Eating there with my wife and attending social functions at the club. Using the pool and gym and other amenities offered and watching our kids grow up with their friends there. Yea, that would be the dream!

I remember having a junior membership as a kid at a local course and thought it was the coolest thing. If I could get there, I could golf. We also had a weekend membership at where we'd go for weekends during the summer, but I always played with my family so it didn't really feel any different.

When we got to the US, I guess I didn't really realize what I had - full access to a great club designed by a great man. It wasn't until after college, even on the legacy membership rates, that I began to appreciate the value of having that membership.

Fast forward to today, and my thoughts are this; I love being a member of a golf course. I love inviting people to play my golf course and having regular buddies who can group up to get a round or two in each week. I know it comes at a committed price each month, but I think it's worth the value to enjoy a consistent experience even if I don't agree with everything they say.

Only way to access the best course within 90 minutes.
Only way to get a sub 4 hour round in.
Can pop in for a quick last minute 9 in the evening most days.

Besides the golf, several social and family positives as well.
pace of play is a BIG reason for me.

we took issue with a four hour round (and by we I mean my group not me haha) a week ago, and I had to catch our mindset to say "boys, anywhere else we're not even through 12 holes yet" haha

It means I get to play as much golf as I want, pretty much whenever I want. To me that's the most important perk of my membership. I very rarely use the pool, I have a pool at home. I occasionally use the fitness center, but I have a membership at a gym closer to home that's a lot bigger and has more/better equipment. I'm not much into the social aspect as far as member mixers, parties, etc., but I do like the food in the dining room and eat there fairly regularly.

I don't mind playing the same course most of the time. I like the course, like the people I play with, like the overall laid back vibe of the club, and like that it's a close and easy drive from home.

I’m a bit different in that I wouldn’t join of course strictly for golf or to be a money saver, etc. I want the dining to be very good and I want there to be other social activities. I’d also want the membership base to be people that I like to be around. The last one being something you don’t really know going in. But there is a sense of pride being a member of the club that goes along with my passion for the game

I live just off the 12th hole so ... convenient, easy access; great course that stays in excellent condition; great atmosphere, food, fellowship, etc.

pace of play is a BIG reason for me.

we took issue with a four hour round (and by we I mean my group not me haha) a week ago, and I had to catch our mindset to say "boys, anywhere else we're not even through 12 holes yet" haha

I'll be getting pushed all round and I look down and I've been on pace for a sub 3 hour round, lol.

I agree with @JB the membership plays a big role in my decision to join. Sure there are plenty of clubs in the world where, if invited, I wouldn't care if I ever spoke to another member, but until those come calling, the social aspect of the club is paramount.

I was always fearful that joining a specific club would restrict my movement in a sense, especially when there are great public tracks in an hours drive or less. But when I find myself in a golf deficient area, a club membership is a no-brainer.

In terms of what it means to me, it just means more golf whenever I want it. Pop into the club for a drink and all of the sudden it is "oh hey, I have time for a quick round. Why not?"

Convenience - proximity (I wouldn't join one that wasn't close), pace, availability, getting to give feedback/take part, practice facility access, familiarity and camaraderie, ease of social aspects - wife isn't as gregarious as I am. It comes harder to her. Honestly getting her out, and out
golfing more, is a big part for me. If she likes the pool, even better.

I'm also a huge fan of not being in my wallet all the time. Start the year/any monthlies/etc and be done. Just tell me what I owe.

Last edited:
I am currently not a member of any courses. I have been. Removing the social aspect of it completely and viewing from a golf only perspective, I grew tired of playing the same course. The practice facilities were great as well. But I don’t need a full golf membership for that really unless we are talking high end exclusive. I enjoy a different course every week. Even if it was a Top 50 course I would grow tired of it.

Now there might be one in Georgia I would not grow tired of. Maybe one on the West Coast known for its cypress trees and ocean views I could play every week and be happy. 🙂

I've now been a member at my local for two years. I picked this course over the other because of location and atmosphere. I want to have a place to play golf, but also hang around for a beverage with likeminded members.

I love that I'm so close, and the flexibility in knowing that I can play 9, 18 or any number of holes if the weather turns.

I love that I'm so close, and the flexibility in knowing that I can play 9, 18 or any number of holes if the weather turns.

That sums it up quite well for me too.

My favorite course within an hour's drive (and second place isn't even close) happens to be a private club. Fortunately I'm able to be a member and play there whenever I like. That's the reason for my membership.

An added bonus is that there are plenty of other members I enjoy playing golf with. But I suspect at a lot of public or semi-private courses I'd be able to find people I liked playing with so that many not be entirely unique. It has certainly worked out perfectly for me in that respect, though.

I couldn't care less about the other aspects of membership. If they shut down the dining room, drained the pool and closed the tennis courts I'd be just as happy being a member as I am now.

The differences in pace of play between public and private courses is not as pronounced as it was 15-20 years ago. There's plenty of slow play everywhere now.

P.S. One other difference is my club is among the ever-diminishing number of courses where I can play without using a golf cart. It sure seems like the day is coming where walking golf is only allowed at fairly expensive private clubs or the very cheapest municipal ones. The majority of courses in between require use of golf carts either all the time or at certain (desirable) times. That's a pity.

That sums it up quite well for me too.
But you can quit after 7 or 9 or 11 or 16 holes at any golf course, can't you?

I've never understood that being pitched as an advantage of belonging to a private club.

If paying an 18-hole public green fee then quitting after 12 holes is so awful, how about paying dues at a private club for a whole month then only play golf once or not at all?

...I love that I'm so close, and the flexibility in knowing that I can play 9, 18 or any number of holes if the weather turns.
That part is nice too. There are some days when the weather sucks and I wouldn't go somewhere and pay money to play in it - but at my club it's not costing me anything (beyond my normal dues I'm paying anyway) and it's no big deal if I bail out after 4 or 5 holes. I can go out and just play a few holes in the late afternoon if the mood strikes me, and if I don't feel like playing alone I can almost always find somebody who'll go out and smack the ball around for a bit.

I've never understood that being pitched as an advantage of belonging to a private club.

If paying an 18-hole public green fee then quitting after 12 holes is so awful, how about paying dues at a private club for a whole month then only play golf once or not at all?
If I didn't play enough to make the cost worthwhile, I wouldn't have a membership. I golf at least 3-4 days a week, so I get my money's worth - if I only golfed a couple times a month, the cost per round would be ridiculous and I don't use the other amenities enough to make it worth it. So it is an advantage that I'm not paying for 18 holes when I only want to play 4, or 7, or 12.

It's funny because paying for a membership is money spent regardless, so the feeling of "I can just play 6-7 holes" feels different.

....but I totally get the feeling

It's funny because paying for a membership is money spent regardless, so the feeling of "I can just play 6-7 holes" feels different.

....but I totally get the feeling
I must be just weird. It's like big portions at restaurants. When I'm not hungry I quit eating, even if it means leaving food on the plate I've already paid for.

My late father, god rest, would never have done that in a million years. If he paid for it, he wasn't going to leave before he'd eaten every bite! Maybe some people are like that with golf.

Not a member

The only course worth joining near me is prohibitively expensive and my price per round would not work out but the social aspect would be very good with it being 10 minutes from my house.

I like being able to play multiple courses now without feeling bad that I should be playing my club.

I've got too many other expensive hobbies I enjoy (mountain biking, photography, etc) to make getting a membership somewhere worth it. If I had one, I'd feel obligated to spend all my time there and I'm just not ready to settle down with one hobby quite yet. Maybe someday, but today is not that day.

Also, it's super fun to try different courses and play as a single and match up with random people. I've been paired with everyone from CEOs to my neighbour from across the street (completely random!).

Course condition consistency and a range where you can actually work on all facets of your game without going too broke.

People also make or break it. I remember being a member of another course and some of the people were just awful. Get in to a place where you can just shoot the breeze with anyone and the golf feels secondary, and that’s pretty cool.

I must be just weird. It's like big portions at restaurants. When I'm not hungry I quit eating, even if it means leaving food on the plate I've already paid for.

My late father, god rest, would never have done that in a million years. If he paid for it, he wasn't going to leave before he'd eaten every bite! Maybe some people are like that with golf.

I think it’s also different if you have a family and everyone is a member of the club. Maybe your significant other can play tennis, or use the pool, or fitness center, or enjoys the meals at the restaurant, or whatever other amenities are available. Others have said it too, it’s not just about the golf, it’s about everyhting else that comes with the membership. So depending on what you are using it for, just playing 6 or 7 holes may not seem like it makes financial sense, but when other members of your family are getting use from the membership, then the cost starts to make more sense.

The nearest club like you all refer to here is strictly reserved for people who live in a specific town and are part of that town's association, and (by my standards) it's quite pricey. That being said, if I qualified and money wasn't an issue I could absolutely see the appeal of having access to quality golf on your choice of two courses, quality dining, tennis, pool, fitness center etc. I've been a member at two courses in my life and neither of them were anything more than golf courses with a clubhouse, no other amenities. The first, as mentioned by @Canadan, was a junior membership at 18 years old that I thought was the cat's meow. $200 for the summer on a course that hosted the CT Senior Open and the only restriction was I had to wait until 1PM to play on weekends. Best money I ever spent. The other membership was for an awesome course and I made darn sure to get my money's worth.

Back