Golf Membership: What Does It Mean To You?

It means Southern Sunday Brunch that I can’t have during this short diet.

E2D3A0AD-1E29-4472-8220-C433BF1E5E6E.png

It’s a convenience thing for my fam. With kids learning to play the game, we can go out and play 9 or 18 any given time, but I don’t feel guilty only playing 5 holes because the kids/fam just aren’t having it that day.

It means when league gets cancelled but the weather clears, you can get a game in as a six some playing modified alternate shot, and no one bats an eye at you.

Not a member of any club right now.

I currently have 6 courses within 30 minutes of my house, and if I expand my drive to 45 minutes i could add another 6-7. The closest is 20 minutes away so I have to commute to any of them. I like having the flexibility to play other courses. Two weeks ago I pulled into one of them and there must have been a huge event there, and I had no qualms about driving to the next.

I feel if I get a membership and any one of the clubs, I would be limiting my experience.

Older thread but common question I’m asking myself right now.

Course less than 5 minutes from my house has a membership offer. $400 for two years, tee times any time with no restrictions other than 1 tee time per day on weekends. $9 per 9 holes cart fees but offer bulk purchases at discount (10 rounds @ $7 per).

only issue is I’m not sure anyone I know plays there a ton so it would mean a lot of solo rounds. Might be a good opportunity to bring my boys with me and introduce them to the game. Not sure but it’s a serious ponder right now

It’s 5 minutes from my house and I like playing golf there.

Course less than 5 minutes from my house has a membership offer. $400 for two years, tee times any time with no restrictions other than 1 tee time per day on weekends. $9 per 9 holes cart fees but offer bulk purchases at discount (10 rounds @ $7 per).

only issue is I’m not sure anyone I know plays there a ton so it would mean a lot of solo rounds. Might be a good opportunity to bring my boys with me and introduce them to the game. Not sure but it’s a serious ponder right now
That just sounds like a great excuse to meet new people and have zero excuses to not practice a lot, to me. Add in the boys.. :love:

What are you paying for with the $400, guaranteed tee time?

I'm trying a membership that gets me discounts to a few courses, one that's 10 minutes from my house. Thinking the same as using it to play with my son and get him going. Afternoon rounds are a great deal with the membership, so gonna try a 12 month commitment and see if I get my $'s worth. Free range balls too.

What are you paying for with the $400, guaranteed tee time?

I'm trying a membership that gets me discounts to a few courses, one that's 10 minutes from my house. Thinking the same as using it to play with my son and get him going. Afternoon rounds are a great deal with the membership, so gonna try a 12 month commitment and see if I get my $'s worth. Free range balls too.
Covers greens fees. All I would pay going forward would be the cart fee

Covers greens fees. All I would pay going forward would be the cart fee
Damn that's a hell of a deal even if you end up not using it much, seems worth the price.

Around here the cost is just too great, especially being single. Individual memberships cost a few hundred under the full family membership. I’d love it for the golf but I’d have to find way more time to play and then the food/drink minimums along with not being into other things like the pool and tennis courts makes it not worth it for me currentl.

I joined because I wanted to get my kids into golf. I used to get upset when I paid a green fee and they wanted to quit after 5 or 6 holes. Now I take them and they play as many holes as they want. Or I dump them at the pool and play alone.

First I love the course I am a member of. It makes me happy every time I play there.

Besides the course I have built a good group of guys I play with. I can get a good game with a tee time I like without a ton of work.

Next up is the access. I can go play after work or on short notice. In addition we have very good practice facilities.

I love being a member of a course. I play way more golf than when I wasn’t a member. I was a member of a club for about 20 years then gave it up for about 10 years when busy with my kids. I have been a member of a differclub now for 3 years and I will be a member of a club for as long as I am able to play golf.

I joined a private club about a decade after taking the up the game because it was the only way to meet my three requirements for golf:

1) Must allow me to walk any time, any day
2) Needs to be a good course with greens that are consistently in decent condition
3) Located within a 30-40 minute drive of my house

There are some public/semi-private options within 30-40 minutes drive but the ones that allow walking are crummy courses and the decent ones don't allow walking or restrict it to certain days/times.

Of course I like a lot of other elements of the private club experience, too. Our course is outstanding, it's nice knowing lots of people who I can play with, getting tee times is easy, there's a nice practice facility, etc. But what justifies it is the basic access and not having restrictions on walking days and times.

Last edited:
We play at public courses so it’s more of a season pass type of thing rather than a membership per say. The guys I golf with like to play at different courses but I’m trying to convince them of the value of getting a season pass/ membership at one place instead due to the value and savings.

I am not a member of a club bt a member of a Men's Association at a club but that Club is an Arrcos course and i have an Arrcos membership. SO i get reduced rates and able to make reservations further out. I don't have the need for Private membership at this point in meh life as I have just so much time to play and that is okay with the mens group and the tournaments.

I have been a private Club member in the past and i loved the atmosphere and the ability to go to the club for dinner when we wanted. Pace was awesome and the folks were great for the most part. I gave that on up when i went over seas again and just have not found a club like that one that i can justify the $$$

I am on the waiting list for next year hopefully. The main aspect is to enjoy going some place to eat and be more social. However, the golf does have to be very good or I wouldn’t join.

Around here the cost is just too great, especially being single. Individual memberships cost a few hundred under the full family membership. I’d love it for the golf but I’d have to find way more time to play and then the food/drink minimums along with not being into other things like the pool and tennis courts makes it not worth it for me currentl.
If I didn't play as much as I do (3 to 4 rounds/week), my membership wouldn't be worth it. If I only played once a week, it would be costing me almost $90 per round for green fees and cart, which is $10 more expensive than even peak season green fees.

Not a member, but was playing with a friend as a guest at his club by my house (Bearpath) and at the turn, as we walk by the pool, there was a diving meet going on.

My buddies daughter was about to dive, and the announcer called out that her dad "ran off the course to see the dive"

They waved, we watched her dive, she ran to the fence around the pool and got a big hug, then off to ten.

That was the first time I realized that "the country club" lifestyle can be about a lot more than golf. Prior to that, I just thought that he overpaid for golf......

Considering a move country club is a part of that plan. Wanting a place to play and practice without having to drive 30 minutes to an hour to the course. Pool and other activities for grand kids when they come visit. Can’t say how much I would enjoy backing golf cart out of garage and having a quick 5 minute drive to the course or practice area.

It means I have 8 golf courses within 1 hours drive, all I need to do is call and get a tee time.

400 bucks for golf for 2 years seems like a steal. My course is really cheap and even that it's $300 for a year and I consider it a great deal. I need to play something like 17 rounds to break even - and even if I don't quite break even I feel like it gives me a good excuse to get to the course to get my money's worth.

If you have that in disposable income right now and think that you would play enough to cover it - I say go for it. Mine doesn't have a lot of fancy stuff or minimums but it has golf and nice people.

If it a better deal than other places and isn't the kind of place that's so packed you can't have some easy going rounds with your boys, go for it. I joined a new club earlier this year, and went with the one that included cart with the membership. I don't know as many people here, but I've met some good folks and the member guest is in a couple weeks, so that'll introduce me to a lot of other members as well.

If the tournamnet isn’t done well, or they all seem like schmucks, I can always move to the course I know more people at. If the place you're looking at can prorate a refund if they end up sucking, you can do the same thing and move somewhere else.

Back