Golf next Friday?

Didn't want to read any responses B4 reply so my Knee Jerk is: Asking today I'm assuming it's the 3rd, ask me tomorrow (Mon) I'd assume the 10th. I realize the weeks technically start on Sunday per a wall calendar but Sunday just fits better at the end of a week ... after all it's considered part of the 'weekend'.
My real answer would be both anyway - I'd play the 3rd and the 10th, weather permitting.

"Are you asking about the 3rd or the 10th?" would be my response.

The next Friday would be the third, next Friday would be the tenth. My brain isn't right just by reading what I typed.

Next Friday would be December 10 to me.

I've run into this confusion also.
My thinking is "next Friday," is the coming Friday. But it is confusing.

It's the next Friday on the calendar...all other answers are wrong. Golfing 12/3

Hmmmm...Defining the word NEXT:

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a time or season) coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking.
    "we'll go next year"
  2. 2.
    coming immediately after the present one in order, rank, or space.
    "the woman in the next room"
adverb
  1. 1.
    on the first or soonest occasion after the present; immediately afterwards.
    "he wondered what would happen next"

2. 2.
    following in the specified order.
    "Jo was the next oldest after Martin"
noun
  1. the next person or thing.
    "the week after next"

Let's test this.. Hey @BigDill, you want to golf next Friday? I totally won't misunderstand you and be somewhere else when you thought I meant at that specific time.

Why not just ask, "Do you want to go play a round this coming Friday?" That would be so much easier. :ROFLMAO:

Let's test this.. Hey @BigDill, you want to golf next Friday? I totally won't misunderstand you and be somewhere else when you thought I meant at that specific time.
Haha. I will be at the old dominion concert next Friday (December 10). But I am going to make some time to get the crew together. After this week I will have more time to focus.

Haha. I will be at the old dominion concert next Friday (December 10). But I am going to make some time to get the crew together. After this week I will have more time to focus.

Oh. Yeah you should probably not read any posts I make 12/10-12/12.

Today I would assume the 3rd. Tomorrow I would assume the 10th

That simple statement, has gone into a full on debate of interpretation within my friend circle, so why not come to you guys as judge and jury...;)

If I asked you TODAY, Sunday 11/28, "Golf next Friday?" What date am I asking you to play on?

RULES:
1. You can't look anything up, I am not interested in what Urban Dictionary says or any other dictionary. I want your knee jerk reaction in how YOU interpret it.
2. Don't let the rest of the answers below influence you.

Well, the next Friday is December 3.

But I'd confirm it - "You're talking' Dec 3, right?"

I've heard this discussion before ... but clear communication is correct communication - confirm the date.

12/3. Enjoy the round!

To me - we're playing this coming Friday. But I get the "next Friday" thinking. I'm just a hopeful and plus if we don't actually play, my wife has already planned for me to be gone and thus I get to play anyways. 🤷‍♂️

This reminds me of a person in my life who talks using pronouns all the time without ever indicating their name. Or this person will talk about three families and switch to pronouns without any indication of WHICH family or family member they are now talking about. Drives me nuts!

I’m showing up December 2nd, hoping to avoid the drama, and go out as a single? 🤣

The 3rd because the 10th is Friday week.

Dec 10.

"This Friday" and "Next Friday" have 7 days between them.

If we’re on a road trip, you clearly knew the rules of bathroom engagement. Why did you break the rules? You get to hold it until the rest of us have to stop, or we get there. Whichever comes first.

So go easy on the beer in the car?

Back