Golf or Marraige?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peace Out.

KMAC

I can't fathom choosing golf over my woman. I guess you are in a tough predicament my man. Good luck to you.

Just think to yourself, WWTD (what would tiger do)

TC

Gotta choose the wife man as long as you still love her. A happy wife and golf 3 times a week probably sounds dang good too almost everyone on this site.

Why does it have to be golf or the wife? Play golf with your wife. If she doesn't play and says she doesn't want to, ask her to please give it a try. That it would mean a lot to share your passion with her. Join a club that has couples leagues or ladies clubs. At my club they have ladies lessons where a group of women have a group lesson then play five holes. Usually while drinking. They have a blast. The semi-private club I belong to has a great group of couples that share a passion for golf. Men's and lady's clubs run concurrently on Saturday mornings. About half the men have wives that play in the lady's club. On Sundays, they generally have a couples event. It's really great, and while the course can sometimes leave a little to be desired, the couples atmosphere is great.

Then give up a round or two with your buddies and play with her. Also find something other than golf you both can be passionate about. Cooking is awesome. Take some classes, learn to make some fantastic meals together. Go to plays, join some book clubs. A meal and a movie once a week sounds boring as hell to me.

Sounds like your wife is a little lost. Kids are gone and she feels like she's "away" from home. That's too bad. My wife and I had our 14 year old daughter when I was 36. We golf as a family which is fantastic. When she is grown I hope my wife and I are able to travel and play a ton of golf together.

Good luck to you.

Kevin

Gotta choose the wife man as long as you still love her. A happy wife and golf 3 times a week probably sounds dang good too almost everyone on this site.

If she still loves him why does he have to stop golf? Because she asked first? It's not like his golf playing came out of nowhere.

I skimmed, but I can only give you my perspective. I pretty much gave up golf and only played a few times a year. I didn't pick it up until around the age of 50.

Believe it or not. I have a friend who, with his wife, go to garage sales EVERY fricking weekend as their hobby. Don't ask me to explain, I have no clue!

The hobby is popular on the show Hoarders.

The issue is not golf.

People change....situations change. While a commitment to marriage is supposed to be absolute that is rarely the case and is likely unrealistic to begin with. Some creatures of this earth mate for life but homo sapiens have turned out to be somewhat more complicated than that. Many many more relationships are predicated on a set of dynamics that a marriage just may not survive if changed. You raise the kids, I have the career is one of them. We both have careers and our marriage looks more like a long string of heavy dates than a traditional marriage is another of them. There are almost as many answers to the question as there are couples out there.

The commitment of marriage suggests that if my spouse's cup becomes half empty at some point I will be there to fill it for him or her but we really do not know if we are able to do that or even willing to do that until the time comes that we are called upon to do that. It is a beautiful thing when it happens that way and you can almost always tell a couple that has lived through that hailstorm from another but having it work out that way is far from caste in the stone we tend to think a marriage should be built upon.

The OP is not even talking about golf here. He is talking about his 0.3 handicap, something that can be wiped out in the instant of a car accident and soon to be wiped out by age anyway.

While I am not trying to be harsh here, I am going to suggest that the OP has already been living his life to some extent separate from the commitment that marriage represents and they may both have for all I know. Now the bill is due. There is already some emotional distance between the two of you or we would not be talking about 0.3 handicaps. I am not being critical here. That is just the way it is.

The only piece of advice I can give you is this. At the very least you both deserve and have earned honesty and emotional maturity from your mate. Give each other that much. If you emerge together then you will really have something and I am willing to bet it will change forever what your marriage means to both of you. If you don't then regardless of what has happened up to this point, it just was not to be and as strange as it might seem, moving on might be the best thing for both of you. While you can make the case that a marriage is a series of trials, few of them stand out as suggestive of separation and this one clearly has.

As I stated above you can almost always tell when a couple has gone through their trial by fire and have come through it together. Contrary to popular belief the marriage is not consummated on the wedding night. That is too easy. It is consummated the day they come through that experience of trial and have remained together.

Skimmed.

Look, it's quite simple. Your wife is unique as is mine. Yeah, there are days I yearn for my 20s when I was single, making money, and living alone. However, when I stepped up to the plate and said those vows I was/am bound to my word. Like the golf swing, hit the basics. I am for eternity linked to my wife as she is to me. The vows we spoke to each other MEAN something. Hit the basics.

IMO this ain't about golf.

Last edited:
i like something else more than golf...join a CC so she can meet some other people...

Hey wait a minute! My dad's name is Zimmy!

With no kids in the home, and no career outside the home, she naturally has latched back on to me. It makes me feel awful to admit, but I don't like it.

If I could do it all over again, I'd marry her again in a heart beat.

Z, you are seriously messed up in the head and need counseling, preferably from a minister.

I tried to find a better video with this song but this is the only one I could find. I love this song. It makes you really think.

kenny chesney dubbed over a japanese cartoon. that is easily the wildest thing i'm going to see today. kudos.

This thread is really depressing. I don't even know where to start really.

This thread is really depressing. I don't even know where to start really.

Honestly, this thread made me look at my own relationship with my wife and think about how wonderful she really is and how much I love her. I brought her home flowers last night just because of this thread. :)

Honestly, this thread made me look at my own relationship with my wife and think about how wonderful she really is and how much I love her. I brought her home flowers last night just because of this thread. :)

Awesome!

Good thing my wife doesn't read this haha!

Honestly, this thread made me look at my own relationship with my wife and think about how wonderful she really is and how much I love her. :)

I couldn't agree more, I found a good one and I'm grateful to have her..

I was thinking last night if it came down to golf or KellyBo, I would have to drop golf and then just watch her play all the time :D

I was thinking last night if it came down to golf or KellyBo, I would have to drop golf and then just watch her play all the time :D

Forget that, you would be her caddy!

[FONT=&quot]I try not to judge or evaluate other people’s relationships. If you’re adults and it works for you guys, who am I to impose my beliefs on you? So Zimmy, best of luck to you, your wife, and your family.

On a side note - I wonder how many folks read the forum with a tinge of guilt with the time spent away from loved ones. Golfing can require an exorbitant amount of time each week to practice and play. It can be a fine line between having me time and being selfish. [/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back