Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf Pride’s new Concept Helix system is here to revolutionize the way you change grips.  And Golf Pride’s new installation system is as much about how it works as it is about what it lets you do.  Go ahead – forget everything you knew about changing your grips and if you didn’t know anything, no problem.  

IMG_4758.jpg

Golf Pride has been known for developing great new products and compounds and giving golfers exceptional grip options, but there has always been one messy, universal process of installing grips on your clubs.  Honestly, I never put a single thought into this process because it has just always been done this way my entire golfing life.  You buy a grip, install the grip (or pay someone to install it), and you...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
We know a ton of THPers got an early look at these and cannot wait for their feedback in this thread. Super interesting product that I have been using for a bit now in my driver.

I was lucky enough to review this product. I will post my thoughts later today. It is an absolute impressive concept!

Excellent write up. That is impressive. As a guy who has ruined a few new grips getting them stuck on the install, the Concept Helix has a lot of merit.

As a pre release tester and a absolute newbie at grip changing I was blown away with how easy this was. Hardest part was the old tape removal. Once that was done, new grip installation took about a minute from bare shaft to swinging the club. :)

Eight minutes for removal sounds like a lot of fun for someone who has never tried this before! I have an older set of clubs that I will definitely try this out on. Taking my clubs once a year to the PGA superstore near me and dropping them off so they can change the grips has never been a big deal and the installation fee was pretty reasonable for the convenience. Plus, it would give me time to try new putters on their putting green while I waited. However, having the opportunity to do this at my own home sounds like a lot more fun to me. I’m interested to see how the grip feels. Great review and I’m looking forward to see what the other forum members have to say about it.

Hmm

"Honestly, I never put a single thought into this process because it has just always been done this way my entire golfing life."

Exactly my initial response, but I can't think of any downside with this new system besides possibly cost?

Very very interesting. Tour Velvets are my go to, and these look similar (as mentioned).
I know we’re at the beginning stages of this, but I wonder how/if they would handle:
1- arccos ability/integration
2- those that prefer extra wraps/buildup under current grips

Very very interesting. Tour Velvets are my go to, and these look similar (as mentioned).
I know we’re at the beginning stages of this, but I wonder how/if they would handle:

The arccos part would be tricky and currently it does not support it.

The shaft must be clear of all tape and residue to really work. Although I will say that in my opinion this is just the beginning and while I use extra wraps under my wedges, I noticed no ill effects.

I'm not sure if any of the other testers tried this but, as a +4 user I experimented with how far on I installed the grip. Leaving it 1/2-3/4 inch short of the recommended installation length allowed me to have a little more bulk under the lower hand and was still secure on the club.

Is there a weight difference compared to say a TV of equal size?

Pretty cool new concept. Would make the concept of "grip fitting" a reality as you could buy a series of different grips ( assuming they expand the helix line to more grip designs ) and try them each back to back on the same club until you found what suits you best.

The arccos part would be tricky and currently it does not support it.

The shaft must be clear of all tape and residue to really work. Although I will say that in my opinion this is just the beginning and while I use extra wraps under my wedges, I noticed no ill effects.

guess I should have checked the link before asking, these were 2 of the 3 FAQ on the site 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I like the sound of this. I have been changing my own grips for a while and it can be a pain sometimes. Is the removal process is as simple as the in the installation?

This is really neat and I can appreciate the convenience and immediate use aspects. Not sure if the concept and design would lend itself to cord grips, but if it ever does, I will give it a try.

I'm not sure if any of the other testers tried this but, as a +4 user I experimented with how far on I installed the grip. Leaving it 1/2-3/4 inch short of the recommended installation length allowed me to have a little more bulk under the lower hand and was still secure on the club.

as a +4 user myself, this is good to hear.

Interesting concept and great writeup Gary!

I love this concept and system, and hope to see the line expand into corded grip options. This could be a real game changer.

A couple more questions on this.

do we know what the tension system itself is? I tried looking around for it and didn’t see it mentioned in detail anywhere. From the video it almost appears like tension wire (I’m thinking FJ BOA or Puma DISC),

any concerns with over tightening? Or losing tension over time?

any concerns with over tightening? Or losing tension over time?

I will defer to @Molten here, but I haven't seen any over tightening. I did think of losing tension over time or getting "torquey", but only time that happened is when I didnt tighten enough.

I have thought since I was a 16 year old doing regrips in the back room at the course I worked at that there has to be a better way. I guess finally there is.

This was a really fun, and really interesting product that I was able to test out. I'm someone who has never changed a grip before, so this was all new to me. By far the most difficult part was preparing the shaft for the Helix grip. Even taking off the old grip, and removing any tape and residue wasn't difficult, it's just that the rest of the process, once it comes to the Helix grip, was so easy.

We received 3 grips, and we were to try them on different shafts, like steel and graphite. I didn't notice a difference on either when installing or removing the Helix. Once I had the old grip cleaned off, and the shaft cleaned up, I think the first grip took about 5 or so minutes to install. Reading the instructions, following each step, was the long part of the first grip install. The 2nd grip went on a bit quicker, and by the time you know all the steps, I think you could get a new grip on and ready to play in 1 minute.

We were also tasked with removing the Helix grip. This process was also pretty straight forward and easy. Not much issue, and as long as you work the grip slowly off, I didn't have any issues.

I see the real benefit to always using the Concept Helix grips. Once you have these, you can remove and change into a new grip in 2 minutes, or so. I mean really quickly, really easily with no mess.

I was able to test these with real swings, and I didn't notice much loosening of the grips. Even if you do, you can use the horn to retighten them right on the course in between shots. So I don't see this as an issue. When I took multiple swings, and would try to retighten, it might have gone one click, maybe. But otherwise, I have no hesitations about these sliding around on the club.

Holy cow! WOW!

This is seriously incredible!

VERY cool and they were smart for bringing these to market at a retail price of under $10. I’m tempted to order them today but since it’s winter and there is no mid-size option yet, I will hope to see them release a variety of Helix grips and sizes by springtime. After working for 3M for most of my career, something tells me there is a type of smooth tape that work with these and allow you to build up layers on the shaft.

Last edited:
Almost forgot, but great write up @Molten ! From someone else who had never done this, I too felt like the perfect test subject!

Been wanting to talk about these for months. It’s a cool concept, but careful when installing with the horn. If it slips when you’re holding the club between your feet, RIP.

I would be very curious to try these with a different grip. These felt a little gummy vs what I’ve ever used in a GP grip, so there was that. Installation though seriously took just a minute or so. Not quite as fast as the solvent method, but I could change this in the parking lot and be ready for a round of golf by the time I walked my bag to the cart.

Back