Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

I like the concept, but not being able to use these with my ShotScope tags is a major drawback.

So, we can talk about these grips now?

Well, all righty then...

I was selected to try these grips out as well and let me tell you, it really IS as easy as the other THP’ers are saying to install and remove these grips.

Remove the old grip, grip tape, and adhesive.
Install the horn into the end of the new grip.
Slide it on the club shaft.
Make sure it’s seated on the club.
Remove the horn, turn it over, and twist it in the end of the grip.
Squeeze the end of the grip a little bit, listen for the ratchet sounds, and tighten a bit more.
DONE.

I didn’t notice any weight difference between a set of new cheap grips I put on my son’s clubs and these, or the ones I took off of my clubs to make way for these.

There is no need to worry, “do I have enough solvent”... I had that happen with my son’s clubs when I regripped them.I didn’t have enough solvent and the grip got stuck half on and half off. Thankfully I was able to remove it without damage. It was the first time I had ever regripped a set of clubs. Everyone said use mineral spirits. I used Xylol instead. Same thing to me... nope. Not enough working time. But that was then (in February this year) and I didn’t know about Concept Helix.

Now, it’s as easy to regrip a club as falling out of a boat. Into the water.😄

it was so easy, I did my 3w, 7i and AW.
Then I was showing my son about it and he removed the AW grip and reinstalled it in minutes. He had never regripped a club ever. We did this in my kitchen.

I literally can’t wait until these grips are released and I can buy a full set.
I can’t wait until they come in different textures.
I can’t wait until they come in different colors.
I want them on my clubs.

What is below is pure speculation. I don’t know if these grips will be released in different textures or colors, but if they are, the below is possible.

I want to be able to change my grips because it’s raining.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my shoes.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my shirt.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my bag.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my playing partners grips.
I want to be able to change my grips because that’s the color scripting for the THP event of the day!! @JB see what I did there?

So many possibilities exist with these and these grips are awesome!!! And I want more!😁

There has always been talk about the downside of blowing on grips (slipping, etc). What is the advantage of this other than you don’t have to have an air compressor?

Huh. I like idea. Helpful write up. Very clear and thorough.

My only internet golfer hesitations are wanting tape wraps for dialing in fit/feel and the white cap at the top. I know with Arccos sensors I did not like the cap feel. But these are almost too interesting to not try. I will grab a couple and explore. Installation looks slick. 👍

I like the concept, but not being able to use these with my ShotScope tags is a major drawback.
This was my main drawback too

A couple more questions on this.

do we know what the tension system itself is? I tried looking around for it and didn’t see it mentioned in detail anywhere. From the video it almost appears like tension wire (I’m thinking FJ BOA or Puma DISC),

any concerns with over tightening? Or losing tension over time?
I didn’t see any issues with over tightening and I got mine about as tight as I could using just my hands. The videos from GP show that it is possible to over tighten a grip but the fix it just loosen the end cap and re tighten. No rush of ruining the grip as far as I can tell

Awesome Write-up Gary.

8 minutes for a first timer! Wow that’s awesome. I saw this in person as @Bcape9 had them on a couple of clubs when we played a few weeks ago.

Love everything about these except the non Cobra Connect compatibility

There has always been talk about the downside of blowing on grips (slipping, etc). What is the advantage of this other than you don’t have to have an air compressor?
Once you get them on, you twist the top with the horn, and twist the bottom of the grip, and that locks it on the club.

I like the sound of this. I have been changing my own grips for a while and it can be a pain sometimes. Is the removal process is as simple as the in the installation?

Yes

Eight minutes for removal sounds like a lot of fun for someone who has never tried this before! I have an older set of clubs that I will definitely try this out on. Taking my clubs once a year to the PGA superstore near me and dropping them off so they can change the grips has never been a big deal and the installation fee was pretty reasonable for the convenience. Plus, it would give me time to try new putters on their putting green while I waited. However, having the opportunity to do this at my own home sounds like a lot more fun to me. I’m interested to see how the grip feels. Great review and I’m looking forward to see what the other forum members have to say about it.
It is super easy and I did it while watching TV. I could have changed most of my bag in the time it would have taken me to drive somewhere so this is huge for me. The worst part is the tape removal in my eyes but that could also be a thing of the past soon

I was a lucky one to be a tester and I was 50/50 on the product. Yes for a first time installer i took my time doing the installs but IMO the grip itself reminded me of the Black Widow grips. They were very thin and slick. Also I had a problem of getting the tool far enough into the grip to do the install, but I put a little oil on the tool for the next 2 grips. Yes it is an interesting concept but I just didnt like the grip that they chose to use for it.

This was a really fun project to test! Having never previously changed grips, I had no issues installing, removing, and reinstalling the helix grip. In over a month since install playing every week, I haven’t had any issues with the grips in my 3w, 4h, or SW. Unfortunately, I won’t be installing these in every club because I’m hooked on Arccos, but it’s such a cool concept! $9.99 is a fantastic price! I thought they would retail higher. I am curious if there is a significant benefit for experienced grip installers, though.

I had a tag that I had cut off the screw on for another club, I used some 3M 4200 adhesive and attached it to my driver grip.

Just after I bought all the tools to do my grips the "old" way!! Looks like a pretty cool idea!
Only issue is the removal of old tape, still gonna need those stinky chemicals....

Just after I bought all the tools to do my grips the "old" way!! Looks like a pretty cool idea!
Only issue is the removal of old tape, still gonna need those stinky chemicals....

Only the first time though...

any concerns with over tightening? Or losing tension over time?
I put one on my 50* wedge and use it a lot and have not noticed any issues at all. Have never had to retighten teh grip at all.

I was one of the lucky testers for this. Have never changed grips in my entire life. The process was super quick. On the first one I took my time on, but after putting it on and removing it a couple of times it was only about a minute.

I only game’d them 1.5 times so in terms of performance I’m interested to see where it goes. They worked well while using them but I could see them not staying on easily if it was a botched installation. The ones we had were very cushiony and not what I’m used to from golf pride. I wonder what other options there will be going forward. However, the idea that grips could be switched in the parking lot if it is rainy or super humid in a matter of seconds is awesome and should be the future of golf grips.

I was lucky enough to be one of the testers for these grips and I was blown away at how easy it was to put them on and take them off minus taking the old tape off. I am not usually good with things like this as I am always afraid that I will screw it up some how, but the process was easy and actually enjoyable. The grips felt great. This is really going to be a game changer when it comes to re-gripping clubs IMHO.

This seems SUPER promising! Love when we get some new innovative tech in the golf world. These seem to be a major step forward in the grip world, but does GP expect them to have good marketability? I think there is a certain small % of golfers who change their grip regularly (its not even every THP'er), other than that people fall into the very infrequent or the "you can change a grip?" category. Obviously to spend the $$ on R&D GP expects this to provide a return, I'm just interested to see how quickly this becomes main stream.

I was a lucky one to be a tester and I was 50/50 on the product. Yes for a first time installer i took my time doing the installs but IMO the grip itself reminded me of the Black Widow grips. They were very thin and slick. Also I had a problem of getting the tool far enough into the grip to do the install, but I put a little oil on the tool for the next 2 grips. Yes it is an interesting concept but I just didnt like the grip that they chose to use for it.
I'm in agreement about the grip itself. I like the MCC grip, in midsize, so I would prefer that material. But when talking about the Helix technology, i found it to work great, and didnt encounter the issue of the horn not going on the grip far enough.

I didn't use any chemicals to get the old tape off and my clubs where all a year old when I removed the tape. Just get a hair dryer and heat it up to loosen the glue and it will peal right off. Once you do that go to the cupboard and grab so Extra Virgin Olive oil and a wash cloth, put some (2 table spoons of oil) on the washcloth and rub the tape residue and it will come right off. Then just use some rubbing alcohol and to remove the oil and your done. Was super easy and I have never done grips before in my life.

Interesting concept. I like the ease to switch grips and this makes changing grips way easier than the traditional way. I would want to see more options available as I am not sure the current offering would be my choice given the tour velvet has not been a grip I have liked in the past.

This seems SUPER promising! Love when we get some new innovative tech in the golf world. These seem to be a major step forward in the grip world, but does GP expect them to have good marketability? I think there is a certain small % of golfers who change their grip regularly (its not even every THP'er), other than that people fall into the very infrequent or the "you can change a grip?" category. Obviously to spend the $$ on R&D GP expects this to provide a return, I'm just interested to see how quickly this becomes main stream.

Its more than people think, but if people didnt have to deal with tools necessary, it would definitely increase.
I know @JDax and @e1iterate can give an estimate in how many grips they did at Dicks when they worked there. Its way more than people think.

Grip can’t explode like a grip installed with an air compressor.

You’re also not damaging the grip this way.

According to Golf Pride (and most other grip companies used on tour) if you use a cord for example, high pressure air can cause deformation and even ripping of the individual cords. It is one of the biggest reasons it is not done at the highest level this way.

Compound that with the idea that not needing to be next to a tank to change your grips and this alleviates both issues.

Back