Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

Interesting concept; like @Canadan and @wubears71 I'm not sure I ever see myself using it, but that's beside the point.

I'm sure Golf Pride has taken this into consideration, but is there any chance that the continued clockwise rotation of the grip by a left-handed golfer could cause the tension system to loosen over time? Obviously the tightening system can only active in one of the two directions, so I would imagine they would make it so that the counter-clockwise movement by a righty would serve to tighten the grip if anything....

Also, I applaud GP for putting these out at a price point of $10, although I also know that means they'll be about $18-20 by the time they reach the Canadian market.

Interesting concept; like @Canadan and @wubears71 I'm not sure I ever see myself using it, but that's beside the point.

I'm sure Golf Pride has taken this into consideration, but is there any chance that the continued clockwise rotation of the grip by a left-handed golfer could cause the tension system to loosen over time? Obviously the tightening system can only active in one of the two directions, so I would imagine they would make it so that the counter-clockwise movement by a righty would serve to tighten the grip if anything....

Also, I applaud GP for putting these out at a price point of $10, although I also know that means they'll be about $18-20 by the time they reach the Canadian market.

Once the grip is locked in you cannot twist the grip to loosen it, you have to first use the tool to loosen the knob at the butt of the grip before you twist the grip itself to remove. So there should be no issue for left-handers in terms of naturally loosening the grip through normal use.

So, we can talk about these grips now?

Well, all righty then...

I was selected to try these grips out as well and let me tell you, it really IS as easy as the other THP’ers are saying to install and remove these grips.

Remove the old grip, grip tape, and adhesive.
Install the horn into the end of the new grip.
Slide it on the club shaft.
Make sure it’s seated on the club.
Remove the horn, turn it over, and twist it in the end of the grip.
Squeeze the end of the grip a little bit, listen for the ratchet sounds, and tighten a bit more.
DONE.

I didn’t notice any weight difference between a set of new cheap grips I put on my son’s clubs and these, or the ones I took off of my clubs to make way for these.

There is no need to worry, “do I have enough solvent”... I had that happen with my son’s clubs when I regripped them.I didn’t have enough solvent and the grip got stuck half on and half off. Thankfully I was able to remove it without damage. It was the first time I had ever regripped a set of clubs. Everyone said use mineral spirits. I used Xylol instead. Same thing to me... nope. Not enough working time. But that was then (in February this year) and I didn’t know about Concept Helix.

Now, it’s as easy to regrip a club as falling out of a boat. Into the water.😄

it was so easy, I did my 3w, 7i and AW.
Then I was showing my son about it and he removed the AW grip and reinstalled it in minutes. He had never regripped a club ever. We did this in my kitchen.

I literally can’t wait until these grips are released and I can buy a full set.
I can’t wait until they come in different textures.
I can’t wait until they come in different colors.
I want them on my clubs.

What is below is pure speculation. I don’t know if these grips will be released in different textures or colors, but if they are, the below is possible.

I want to be able to change my grips because it’s raining.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my shoes.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my shirt.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my bag.
I want to be able to change my grips to match my playing partners grips.
I want to be able to change my grips because that’s the color scripting for the THP event of the day!! @JB see what I did there?

So many possibilities exist with these and these grips are awesome!!! And I want more!😁

Can these new grips get stuck or are they fool proof?

What is the cost factor of these vs going to golf galaxy and having them put on a Tour Velvet for 5 for the grip and 3 for the install? Once, you get the tool, then is it cost effective?

So stoked for this new tech. It’s amazing it’s taken this long to figure this out but good on Golf Pride for making it happen.

As someone who has never regripped my own clubs before, this definitely has my attention! Great write up @Molten and great feedback from all the testers! A bunch of awesome information! Hopefully other grip materials will be able to be used in the future but this is a great start and I may pick up a few after hearing how easy it is!

What is the cost factor of these vs going to golf galaxy and having them put on a Tour Velvet for 5 for the grip and 3 for the install? Once, you get the tool, then is it cost effective?

At 10 a grip, it'll always be cheaper going the route you described. But, you have to factor in the time, gas, and delay in turnaround as well. You can be out the door ready in about 2 minutes. You're waiting at least 30-45min using solvent.

Sorry for the delay in my review of the Golf Pride Concept Helix grips. Today has been hectic. I want to say thank you to both Golf Pride and THP for allowing me the awesome​
chance to test these grips before they were made available to the public.
After being chosen to test and review these grips, we were sent a box that contained instructions, a "horn", and three grips. We were asked to remove our old grips from a​
wood, and iron, and a 3rd club (preferably a hybrid). The whole idea of "do it yourself" grips seemed like a great idea. I have never personally gripped a golf club before, so I was excited to try the Concept Helix out. The main premise of these grips is to allow the average golfer the ability to regrip their own clubs without taking them to a pro shop or club builder and to allow the average golfer the chance to regrip their clubs more often with less hassle. These can be installed without too many specialty tools (box cutter, heat gun or hair dryer, and solvent).
I installed the Concept Helix grips on my Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver, my Ben Hogan VKTR hybrid, and my PTx Pro 8 iron. I had just regripped my clubs 2 months earlier, so​
I was a little hesitant taking a box cutter to three basically brand new Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT grips! I cut the grips off and then used a heat gun to remove the tape. I then cleaned the shafts with acetone. Testers were given a direction sheet, and installation guide, and access to a video on installation and removal of the grips.
Using the installation tool/horn, you expand the opening of the grip and then slide it onto the shaft. This is easy and straight forward. Golf Pride gave us a grip length guide to​
make sure we didn't stretch the grips too far. Then, we had to follow a tightening sequence using to horn and then final tightening was done by twisting the grip by hand.
After installing the first grip on the driver, the rubber felt loose on the shaft. The grip was secure, but there was some space between the rubber of the grip and the graphite​
shaft. So, I took the grip off and tried the process again. The directions said to hold the shaft in one hand and to turn the tool with the other (like 30 1/2 turns I think). I found that it is easier to hold the "horn" and turn the club by the club head. Final tightening is done my turning the grip by hand, starting at the bottom, until no ratcheting was heard.
I tightened the grip until there was no more clicking and the grip felt extremely tight against the shaft. I did notice that the Z-grip tread pattern had compressed a lot​
compared to my first installation attempt. Also, for a standard grip, which I play, the grip felt bigger. Almost like a midsized grip. I completed the process on the other two clubs with no issues. I had some questions about the installation process and what the final product was supposed to feel/look like. Golf Pride including a tech number to call for any issues. I called them the next morning.
I talked to Greg, I believe, at Golf Pride. He is the engineer that developed the grip and is overseeing its testing. Really top notch guy, super helpful and very knowledgeable.​
It was funny listening to our conversation, I have a strong Southern accent and he is from the United Kingdom apparently. I asked about what the grip was supposed to look like and feel like. He asked me several questions about the installation process. What I liked and what I didn't like. I told him I found it easier to turn the club itself than the installation tool and he said that is the way he installed his as well. Also, there is a little flexibility in installation. What a 30 year old man might think is tight could be different from a 60 year old woman. So, final installation might vary from customer to customer. He asked me my thought on the design, what I want in a grip, pricepoint, etc. I asked if there were thoughts on offering the helix in a corded grip.
Thoughts on the grip....1-The concept and design are stellar! What this grip can do for the average golfer is unparalleled. It definitely changes what people think grips are​
and can be. 2-I'm not a fan of the tread pattern and feel. I am a cord guy, so this isn't my favorite. Also, with the rubber being flexible and compressible, I don't get the impression it will last as long as a traditional grip. 3- The grip feels big. It feels like a midsize grip. Greg at Golf Pride confirmed its based on the +4 lineup. 4- I think this will allow more people to regrip their clubs more often...which is a good thing. I'm looking at you @hailoffire! 5-If Golf Pride introduces more designs into the Concept Helix lineup, golfers could change grips before playing in different environments and conditions. For the Southwestern guys that played at Hammock Beach a couple weeks ago, you could potentially change your grips for those conditions. 6-Would I regrip my clubs with 13 Concept Helix grips? Honestly....no. I need a corded grip where I live and after 4/5 times on the golf course, numerous range and practice sessions, I don't like the feel of these grips and don't think they will last as long as a standard grip.
image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpeg

This is a really interesting grip system. Will likely give these a try when I have some grips that are needing replacing.

Align would be a nightmare on these...
I would seriously be surprised to see these with align or with any complex tread/material design.

These are just extremely cool to me. I don't think this specific setup is ideal for me - if it's based on the +4 line, I'd probably need to go undersize - but it's just a cool idea, and I love the innovation in this space. I don't mind regripping - but it's nice to be able to try something quickly and take it off if it doesn't work. Would love to see other designs with this installation procedure.

It is super easy and I did it while watching TV. I could have changed most of my bag in the time it would have taken me to drive somewhere so this is huge for me. The worst part is the tape removal in my eyes but that could also be a thing of the past soon

That’s great to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pretty cool concept but I'm curious how much interest there will be. It seems like a great option for those that don't have the supplies to regrip. I actually enjoy the traditional way and find it to be a nice way to relax but it's always good to have more options. Especially if you want to swap out a grip really quick before a round.

Seems like a cool idea but not something I'd be interested in based on the lack of ability to use Arccos. Plus I'm not sure I see the point of being able to quickly switch until there is a good variety of options to switch to.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

The more I look and read about these the more I'm intrigued. I like the idea a lot and really think I'd like these.

I really believe these are aimed at the average golfer who never regrips his clubs due to cost and convenience. Not having to take your clubs to a pro shop and leave them is a nice thing. You could put a full set of these on clubs with no tape in less than an hour, maybe 30 minutes, and be on the course with no problem. The $10 dollar price is right where I would expect these to be. My only concern is if a person uses a standard $5.00 tour velvet grip and is charged $3.00 per club installation fee, would the average golfer rather spend $8.00 per club plus time/travel to a pro shop or $10.00 for a DIY grip?

I like this concept and for someone who has not done any re gripping this could be a game changer. Also nice write up & reviews!

I had the opportunity to get my hands on a set of these. Before opening the box, I was fully prepared to phone a friend and get assistance in installing new grips. I had never done it before and had none of the tools I may need. Well, as you have seen by now, no experience needed with this new technology! Like many others, the worst part was trying to get the old tape off, mine seemed to be stuck on there really badly. That really has nothing to do with the Concept Helix grip though.

The installation itself was a breeze. I could see this starting a major shift in how many people choose to re-grip clubs. I have played a handful of rounds with the new grips and have felt no slipping or loosening of the grip, they have held up really well. Unfortunately, as an avid Arccos user, I cannot see myself using these long term. I shared that feedback with Golf Pride multiple times, and I'm not sure I can envision there being a solution. That is ok though, I love the innovation and not every product is going to fit every golfer. Really interesting product to get to test out and something I would be completely comfortable installing myself time and time again.

VERY cool and they were smart for bringing these to market at a retail price of under $10. I’m tempted to order them today but since it’s winter and there is no mid-size option yet, I will hope to see them release a variety of Helix grips and sizes by springtime. After working for 3M for most of my career, something tells me there is a type of smooth tape that work with these and allow you to build up layers on the shaft.
I always imagined companies like 3M, Corning, Dupont, etc have thousands to millions of different types of patented products just waiting for the right use case to come along.

Sorry for the delay in my review of the Golf Pride Concept Helix grips. Today has been hectic. I want to say thank you to both Golf Pride and THP for allowing me the awesome​
chance to test these grips before they were made available to the public.
After being chosen to test and review these grips, we were sent a box that contained instructions, a "horn", and three grips. We were asked to remove our old grips from a​
wood, and iron, and a 3rd club (preferably a hybrid). The whole idea of "do it yourself" grips seemed like a great idea. I have never personally gripped a golf club before, so I was excited to try the Concept Helix out. The main premise of these grips is to allow the average golfer the ability to regrip their own clubs without taking them to a pro shop or club builder and to allow the average golfer the chance to regrip their clubs more often with less hassle. These can be installed without too many specialty tools (box cutter, heat gun or hair dryer, and solvent).
I installed the Concept Helix grips on my Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver, my Ben Hogan VKTR hybrid, and my PTx Pro 8 iron. I had just regripped my clubs 2 months earlier, so​
I was a little hesitant taking a box cutter to three basically brand new Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT grips! I cut the grips off and then used a heat gun to remove the tape. I then cleaned the shafts with acetone. Testers were given a direction sheet, and installation guide, and access to a video on installation and removal of the grips.
Using the installation tool/horn, you expand the opening of the grip and then slide it onto the shaft. This is easy and straight forward. Golf Pride gave us a grip length guide to​
make sure we didn't stretch the grips too far. Then, we had to follow a tightening sequence using to horn and then final tightening was done by twisting the grip by hand.
After installing the first grip on the driver, the rubber felt loose on the shaft. The grip was secure, but there was some space between the rubber of the grip and the graphite​
shaft. So, I took the grip off and tried the process again. The directions said to hold the shaft in one hand and to turn the tool with the other (like 30 1/2 turns I think). I found that it is easier to hold the "horn" and turn the club by the club head. Final tightening is done my turning the grip by hand, starting at the bottom, until no ratcheting was heard.
I tightened the grip until there was no more clicking and the grip felt extremely tight against the shaft. I did notice that the Z-grip tread pattern had compressed a lot​
compared to my first installation attempt. Also, for a standard grip, which I play, the grip felt bigger. Almost like a midsized grip. I completed the process on the other two clubs with no issues. I had some questions about the installation process and what the final product was supposed to feel/look like. Golf Pride including a tech number to call for any issues. I called them the next morning.
I talked to Greg, I believe, at Golf Pride. He is the engineer that developed the grip and is overseeing its testing. Really top notch guy, super helpful and very knowledgeable.​
It was funny listening to our conversation, I have a strong Southern accent and he is from the United Kingdom apparently. I asked about what the grip was supposed to look like and feel like. He asked me several questions about the installation process. What I liked and what I didn't like. I told him I found it easier to turn the club itself than the installation tool and he said that is the way he installed his as well. Also, there is a little flexibility in installation. What a 30 year old man might think is tight could be different from a 60 year old woman. So, final installation might vary from customer to customer. He asked me my thought on the design, what I want in a grip, pricepoint, etc. I asked if there were thoughts on offering the helix in a corded grip.
Thoughts on the grip....1-The concept and design are stellar! What this grip can do for the average golfer is unparalleled. It definitely changes what people think grips are​
and can be. 2-I'm not a fan of the tread pattern and feel. I am a cord guy, so this isn't my favorite. Also, with the rubber being flexible and compressible, I don't get the impression it will last as long as a traditional grip. 3- The grip feels big. It feels like a midsize grip. Greg at Golf Pride confirmed its based on the +4 lineup. 4- I think this will allow more people to regrip their clubs more often...which is a good thing. I'm looking at you @hailoffire! 5-If Golf Pride introduces more designs into the Concept Helix lineup, golfers could change grips before playing in different environments and conditions. For the Southwestern guys that played at Hammock Beach a couple weeks ago, you could potentially change your grips for those conditions. 6-Would I regrip my clubs with 13 Concept Helix grips? Honestly....no. I need a corded grip where I live and after 4/5 times on the golf course, numerous range and practice sessions, I don't like the feel of these grips and don't think they will last as long as a standard grip.
View attachment 8977170View attachment 8977171View attachment 8977172View attachment 8977173View attachment 8977174
Did your other grips end up looking like this? This grip looks like it was overtightened compared to the photos on the Golf Pride site.

Anybody else able to post photos of your installed grips?

.....as an avid Arccos user, I cannot see myself using these long term. I shared that feedback with Golf Pride multiple times,
As a long time user of shot tracking systems, Game Golf for several years and now ShotScope, I, too, told GP, both on the phone and in my surveys, that I would not consider using these long term until and unless compatibility with shot tracking sensors was incorporated.

Did your other grips end up looking like this? This grip looks like it was overtightened compared to the photos on the Golf Pride site.
Yes, all 3 looks like that. When I first installed the grip, the pattern wasn’t compressed like that, but the rubber felt loose on the shaft.

I currently have the Helix grip on three clubs (driver, hybrid, and wedge). The installation is very easy, especially for steel shafts. As others noted, removing the old tape is the only tedious step in the process.

The grip size falls between standard and midsize which is perfect for my mitts. I typically add three wraps of tape to a standard grip.

I'm really surprised by the price. I expected to see a higher number. Great grip and awesome technology for an affordable price.

Last edited:
Back