Golf Shafts: Does price reflect quality and performance in your mind?

:UST:Proforce V2 at what, $60 - $70 .... if it fits for you, it is every bit as good, if not better, than a $300 shaft.

There was a Golf Spy article I think it was that addressed shafts and marketing and some major companies potentially be more shady and others more trustworthy in what their stock options are...which gets very confusing really quickly.

Bottom line, I'm probably skeptical that a $400 price tag vice a $100 tag ALWAYS result in a better product. What I might be inclined to believe is that the quality control in not only the manufacturing process of the construction but ALSO the QC of the base materials would be more strict, resulting in a more consistent delivery of "as advertised" characteristics.

I've not been so lucky to go to the custom shaft design that some of you have, but I have worked with and been educated on advanced composite design and layup on fighter aircraft. There are so many variables in quality and thickness of the various fibrous materials, the resins they're incorporated with, the dwell, temp, atomospheric pressure during curing, that it's difficult to believe QC on a mass produced shaft could match that of a more custom build.

On the flip side, I'm also a skeptic and don't always trust "salesman", so in the end, I would only be able to trust in results and numbers. Where is Bryson when you need him?

Does a higher price always equate to a better product? No. Should the consumer expect better technology, better materials and higher quality control when paying a premium price? Definitely.

For probably the majority of golfers, golf is a vanity sport when it comes to equipment. They "need" to play what the tour players are playing because their buddies or even the random single will see what's in their bag. The golf version of "keeping up with the Jones's" if you will. Just check out the secondary market for "tour" products and the prices that the items go for. As an aside, I still wonder how so many sellers can have the same "one off" product? :unsure:

A few years ago there was a new shaft company, formed by some leaders in their various fields of expertise, and they were bringing new high tech materials to golf shafts for the very first time. Their shaft hit the market at, IIRC, a fairly premium price point. Based on the in-depth interviews here on THP of the designers outlining everything that went into the production, the price was understandable.

Over the years, THPer's have had very knowledgeable shaft designers explain what goes into the design of a shaft, the chance to personally interact with leaders in the field, and even "roll their own" shafts. Therefore, I believe we're better educated so as to not fall into the big name or higher price always = better mentality.

I think a shaft is like a suit. Sure there is a difference between a really expensive custom tailored suit and a nice brand name department store suit, but for the vast majority of us that difference is not worth the cost.

... You get what you pay for is always true. Sometime that cost maybe covers prestige and of course that is tangible for some. The thing for most is, at what point are those diminishing returns. I'll use the $250 Rogue Black 95 as an example. I played the shaft and loved its feel and performance. I receiver a $599 Rogue Black Tour 110 for review and was pleasantry surprised at how much smoother and consistent it was. While I did not hit it any farther, it was tighter in dispersion and the feel was like the difference between a cast cb and a solid forged MB. Now, the big question is, was it worth the difference in price? I am just guessing but would estimate it was 5 yds tighter and most of the time that makes very little difference in fairways hit or my score. Feel was considerably better and for an extra $100 along with there dispersion I personally would pay the difference. But $350 more? Not a chance. Add to that I have an excellent feel and some have little feel or simply don't care and would find zero difference between the two. The last point I would make is the more premium the shaft which usually equates to cost, the higher the chance that buying a second shaft for a wood or another driver, you will find it close to identical, where one cheaper shaft may work for you while a second shaft may be a little different.

... So for most I think paying a premium for a shaft that only provides a 5-10% increase in feel and or performance at 50% to 100% higher cost it would be no, although those that don't care about price and have money to burn might gladly pay the difference. And I think that sums up most shafts.

Last edited:
In the past year I’ve owned a Tensei Orange Pro that I think retails for around $350. And a Diamond Tour FGS plus that cost $17 shipped. Gamed the $17 cause it worked better.

Currently gaming the PX Even
Flow Green made for shaft and driving the ball better than ever.

Sadly, I do equate more expensive ro better in regards to shafts. But, I don't think I would ever pay more than $150 for one shaft.

For some reason I've never really connected higher cost of golf shafts with a better product. Maybe because it doesn't seem like that's discussed so much. I guess I figure if I'm upgrading shafts it's going to cost a decent amount but have no idea what the price difference would be.

No, but I'm pretty ignorant on shafts though. I only know about the popular ones. I'm sure there is a difference in the quality of materials and manufacturing process, but like most things I always assume you're mostly paying for branding and prestige.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I have seen inexpensive shafts perform very well for great players. I play the shafts that I have because they perform at a high level for me and have a good feel to them, while they are higher priced, the performance for my game justifies it.

My view of quality and performance are definitely not synonymous. If I pay a higher price, I have an expectation of higher quality, fit and finish and consistent tolerances. I'm not saying these always hold true but I still have those expectations.

Performance seems to be more individualized. Just because it's higher quality has not proven to always perform better for me, so I don't expect price to buy performance.

:UST:Proforce V2 at what, $60 - $70 .... if it fits for you, it is every bit as good, if not better, than a $300 shaft.

That's how I tend to look at it. You could probably say that about something like an Aldila NV I'd imagine (no direct experience with either however.)

i am definitely victim time pricing perception. fortunately education from px and thp has helped me understand that many (but not all) of the expensive materials are meant to withstand heavy loads, and that’s not something my swing delivers. some of my favorite shafts have been stock, or middle of the line. rarely have i loved a very expensive shaft.

I want to say no with caveats........ Don't like saying that but I will elaborate. As a club builder (hobbyist) over 25 years, I have tried, tested way too many high dollar shafts for the return on investment I experienced. What I have learned is that for me, I look at companies like Golf Works and other fitters/repair shops and what brands they consistently carry over x# of years. I personally prefer brands like Graffaloy, Fujikura, Xcaliber, Aldila and several more for say my driver, fairway woods. But within each of those companies I mentioned can be extreme price differences between shaft models. IMO, those companies and others have quality products. My experience with both my own golf swing and most amateurs that I have fit , they do not see visible differences (positive) between the most expensive and a moderate priced shaft model.
Where I have experienced differences is in the extreme cheap/lower price models regarding performance (not necessarily in the brands mentioned above). Imo, the very low cost model shafts are often designed for extreme flexibility regarding things like tip trimming and weights/torque ratings. Its not hard, but time consuming to dial in necessary specs for those type shafts (the very low price models). I think of those low price shafts as a great test shaft but kinda a one size fits all and sometimes they do fit and sometimes the tradeoffs one has to accept is worrisome (i.e. tip trim so much that flex is correct but shaft weight is too light, etc). The more expensive models seem to dial in closer to multiple specs one needs which would better fit the golfer (not the most expensive model, the moderate price models are fine imo). That is my experience both as a consumer and club builder. I do appreciate reading about the technology and design improvements in golf shafts and reading forums where people post their spin numbers, etc. Its just I have to ask myself does my swing really benefit from a 300 vs 79.99 golf shaft in my driver? I don't but I am sure many low hdcp and elite players do.

Well, based on what I heard last week at the small batch event, there definitely are shafts at much different price points that have nearly identical playing characteristics. Sometimes, the extra expense is justified by a little “pixie dust” added to the materials, but in reality, the shafts are almost the same shaft.

Last edited:
I generally equate price of shafts with an assumed level of quality materials and construction but not necessarily performance potential (for me).

Like clubs, there's some great gear out there that just doesn't work for me. Doesn't mean it's not a great piece of equipment, just that it's not right for me. Conversely, I've played cheaper stuff that's worked tremendously.

I'm mostly averse to paying retail for anything golf and that's especially true for shafts. An expensive shaft and it's positive reviews may grab my attention, but it'll never grab my money until I can get it for a couple/few hundred less.

I haven’t found there’s necessarily a correlation and cost for me. All about profile and feel.

I think in some cases, especially with irons, expensive materials and processes let them create profiles you couldn’t otherwise, so there is some “there” there. But absolutely not a hard and fast rule.

Please tell me we’re not going to see an influx of Instagram brands touting their “bespoke” shafts in the next year.

As someone who loves their 1 of 1 golf shaft, I wouldn’t mind this being an option...

No, it just means it’s the latest model. Most can be had new for half the price once the next big thing is released (from the same OEM).

If I were in the market to buy a new shaft by itself I’d more than likely go with UST because they have something for everyone and typically at much lower prices than the competition.

A big NO for me.... I am using $79 shaft in my driver now that outperforms one that retails around $399. Both shafts are made by the same company and for the most part they are touted to produce similar results...but the reality is, the cheaper shaft just plain works. Not just for me either, my playing buddies see similar results when we compared the shafts.

So....no....more expensive doesn't mean better, for quality or results.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

With golf shafts, is cost a sign of performance potential for YOU? If it’s affordable, do you assume it won’t be as good? If it’s exotically priced do you assume it’s better? Why?

Cost doesn’t automatically mean an improvement in performance to me. The shaft still needs to fit your swing, and like @Tenputt said, sometimes it’s just pixie dust so the manufacturer can say “yep, it’s in there”.

I do believe that quality control, appropriate material usage and product knowledge play a factor here.

I’d rather buy based on company reputation than price tag alone.

I have seen inexpensive shafts perform very well for great players. I play the shafts that I have because they perform at a high level for me and have a good feel to them, while they are higher priced, the performance for my game justifies it.

... Amen! I would add shaft difference is very player dependent. When OEM's are fitting Tour players, they never have them hit more than 2 or 3 shots max with a new shaft, if they are not getting the trajectory and distance they want to see because they will begin changing their swing to get those results. They really are that good. So a $500 shaft may give a Pro 2 more yards and a 4% tighter dispersion and of course they aren't paying for the shaft anyway. But they certainly would, even for such little gain because their swings are very repeatable and their livelihood depends on razor close differences.

... So players without a very reliable swing will not see those benefits or even more obvious advantages of a shaft if they hit it left-right, high-low off the tee. And even better players with a reasonably repeatable swing hitting average drives in the 250 range may not reap the benefits with a shaft that gives them a few extra yards and a few yards tighter dispersion. There just isn't a big enough difference in performance between a $45 NV and a $285 Rogue Silver to justify that price for the majority of golfers unless you have a very repeatable swing, hit the ball 275+ off the tee and don't mind paying a premium for a small increase in performance and feel. And of course some just don't mind paying for the best even if their game doesn't support it, and nothing wrong with that!

I think a shaft is like a suit. Sure there is a difference between a really expensive custom tailored suit and a nice brand name department store suit, but for the vast majority of us that difference is not worth the cost.

Not to mention if I’m 30 lbs heavier the expensive suit isn’t going to look as good as the cheaper suit if I’m on on a diet and looking physically better.

Still comes down to the swing.

I’m going to say no. Golf shafts are still so much of a mystery. If you put two shots side by side I wouldn’t know which one was expensive and which one wasn’t.

I want to say no with caveats........ Don't like saying that but I will elaborate. As a club builder (hobbyist) over 25 years, I have tried, tested way too many high dollar shafts for the return on investment I experienced. What I have learned is that for me, I look at companies like Golf Works and other fitters/repair shops and what brands they consistently carry over x# of years. I personally prefer brands like Graffaloy, Fujikura, Xcaliber, Aldila and several more for say my driver, fairway woods. But within each of those companies I mentioned can be extreme price differences between shaft models. IMO, those companies and others have quality products. My experience with both my own golf swing and most amateurs that I have fit , they do not see visible differences (positive) between the most expensive and a moderate priced shaft model.
Where I have experienced differences is in the extreme cheap/lower price models regarding performance (not necessarily in the brands mentioned above). Imo, the very low cost model shafts are often designed for extreme flexibility regarding things like tip trimming and weights/torque ratings. Its not hard, but time consuming to dial in necessary specs for those type shafts (the very low price models). I think of those low price shafts as a great test shaft but kinda a one size fits all and sometimes they do fit and sometimes the tradeoffs one has to accept is worrisome (i.e. tip trim so much that flex is correct but shaft weight is too light, etc). The more expensive models seem to dial in closer to multiple specs one needs which would better fit the golfer (not the most expensive model, the moderate price models are fine imo). That is my experience both as a consumer and club builder. I do appreciate reading about the technology and design improvements in golf shafts and reading forums where people post their spin numbers, etc. Its just I have to ask myself does my swing really benefit from a 300 vs 79.99 golf shaft in my driver? I don't but I am sure many low hdcp and elite players do.

well said, I agree with most if not all specifically the last sentenc

I’d rather buy based on company reputation than price tag alone.

?? ?? ??

Back