Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I ordered a few golf shafts over the weekend, and while doing research was very surprised at how much some of them cost. I got to thinking and wondered whether golf shafts are like wine: you can get a great bottle of wine for $200, but you can also get a great bottle for $20. In this case, I opted for the $20 bottle, lol.

I just wonder as amateurs, how much difference that $300 shaft will make in our game versus an $80 shaft?

Anywhere you click here in the community will undoubtedly lead to a great shaft convo. I think shafts are a huge deal, and its fun to try and tinker with all kinds.

I have an affinity to great shafts after the THP Project X hand crafted event. I received a lot of education and a new appreciation for them.

To your point, whatever works best for the price you can afford is the trick. I believe there is a huge difference in quality and performance.

Anywhere you click here in the community will undoubtedly lead to a great shaft convo. I think shafts are a huge deal, and its fun to try and tinker with all kinds.

I have an affinity to great shafts after the THP Project X hand crafted event. I received a lot of education and a new appreciation for them.

To your point, whatever works best for the price you can afford is the trick. I believe there is a huge difference in quality and performance.

Perhaps you are right. But I can understand this for the accomplished golfer, but I am not so sure about the bogey golfer. I have a friend on the LPGA Tour and she has the Tour AD shafts in her driver/woods, and the SteelFibers in her irons and wedges...of course she didn't pay for her equipment, PXG did, lol.

I have seen shafts for $1000, and I can't see how a shaft that expensive is THAT much better than its less expensive brethren.

I totally get it. For me, its the difference between a bargain shaft versus a 200-300 dollar shaft. The high end of my favorite shafts that work for me are in that range. After that point, sorry - not happening.

Shafts matter a lot, some, and not at all.

I think shafts make more of a difference in performance to THPers more than most golfers. Simply because most THPers play/practice/care more than most golfers.

You get what you pay for. For me, fitting into shafts for driver & 3W made a huge difference.

You get what you pay for. For me, fitting into shafts for driver & 3W made a huge difference.

I agree, to a point though. Does that mean we should go out and purchase golf shafts anywhere from $300+ to $1000? And, does that mean golf shafts priced in the $80 to $150 range are no good? Folks who manufacture the latter can't produce crap products or no one would buy them.

I agree, to a point though. Does that mean we should go out and purchase golf shafts anywhere from $300+ to $1000? And, does that mean golf shafts priced in the $80 to $150 range are no good? Folks who manufacture the latter can't produce crap products or no one would buy them.

To answer, I guess YES. Depending on your game and your goals. My stock M5 shaft was truly garbage. My fitter put me into a customized shaft with the appropriate flex and kick point... and viola!

There’s a huge market for Chilis and Applebee’s, it’s great and yummy, and fills you up. And it’s cheap. No issues there. But there’s also a market for fine dining, quality food, and exceptional steak and fresh fish. Like shafts, both types of restaurants get the job done... but it’s up to you how you want to eat and spend.

To answer, I guess YES. Depending on your game and your goals. My stock M5 shaft was truly garbage. My fitter put me into a customized shaft with the appropriate flex and kick point... and viola!

There’s a huge market for Chilis and Applebee’s, it’s great and yummy, and fills you up. And it’s cheap. No issues there. But there’s also a market for fine dining, quality food, and exceptional steak and fresh fish. Like shafts, both types of restaurants get the job done... but it’s up to you how you want to eat and spend.

I think it is also a matter of affordability. Premium shafts are just not in my budget. I also think the quality of shafts provided by OEMs is getting better as well...along with more stock options.

I think all that matters about a shaft is that it fits you. And there's probably something across price ranges that does. OEMs are now usually putting previous iterations of shafts in (you see this a lot with the Tensei series) as stock, which is a nice way to go.

I think all that matters about a shaft is that it fits you. And there's probably something across price ranges that does. OEMs are now usually putting previous iterations of shafts in (you see this a lot with the Tensei series) as stock, which is a nice way to go.
Yes, we have a lot more options today.

"Fitting" is the key word you said. Thankfully, you can be fit into shafts that work for you in just about any price range.

I see the market exists for higher end shafts. I'm certain that they will help someone's game improve. I'm certain that a properly fit shaft is a good idea for every golfer.

Having said that, I'm not willing to spend several hundred dollars for a club and have a good portion of the price being the shaft. Like you @Sean custom shafts aren't in my budget. But I also think that there are great shafts that can be had at bargain basement prices.

You're paying for high-priced exotic materials, not necessarily performance. You can buy a $500 shaft that's terrible for your swing, or a $50 shaft that fits your game perfectly, or vice versa. That's why fitters have jobs.

You can often find previous generation shafts at budget prices and still get state of the art technology. I bought an uncut project x handcrafted LZ60 shaft for $60 recently. A few years ago it was a $300+ shaft and still sells for nearly that on CPO. It didn't all of a sudden become a turd because something new came out.

Even though I can buy the expensive shafts, I tend to gravitate toward the average cost shafts because they work fine for my game. However, I do believe that weight, flex and torque make a difference for me as the data has proved it out. At 66 I don't think I am at a stage where I could really tell tons of micro differences.

As I have thought about this, for most golfers, the stock shaft offerings are like Wild Turkey 101. You have to spend a lot more for something just a little better.

But, it may be just be mental, but I feel a difference if I use a different/simpler shaft.

I also think the quality of shafts provided by OEMs is getting better as well...along with more stock options.
This is a big key. They offer a ton of great shafts in new equipment for no additional cost. The Cobra stuff this year is a great example. I went to demo the RADSPEED Drivers and the Fuji Motore X shafts are amazing. They feel every bit as good as a GD AD-DI and have a similar profile. That's a ton of value there.

There are good shafts for less than $300. What matters is fit. Finding a good fitting shaft can be tough but there are a ton of good shafts out there and recently the manufacturers are putting better stock shafts into their offerings. I would also add that there may be a shaft/club that is a tiny bit better but you need to make the decision if it is worth the expense. For example I recently did a fitting for the new Titleist TSi drivers and at the end of the fitting the Titleist rep said this club is a great fit for you but I don't think it is worth the spend over your current driver (Mavrik).

You can often find previous generation shafts at budget prices and still get state of the art technology. I bought an uncut project x handcrafted LZ60 shaft for $60 recently. A few years ago it was a $300+ shaft and still sells for nearly that on CPO. It didn't all of a sudden become a turd because something new came out.

Very true. I am big on purchasing previous years models, whether it is shafts, shoes, or what have you.

Even though I can buy the expensive shafts, I tend to gravitate toward the average cost shafts because they work fine for my game. However, I do believe that weight, flex and torque make a difference for me as the data has proved it out. At 66 I don't think I am at a stage where I could really tell tons of micro differences.

I am 65 and noticed a positive difference by going with light weight shafts.

Cost benefit analysis for golf shafts. Just as the wine example was shown....How many wine drinkers could actually tell you the difference of the $20 bottle vs the $200 bottle? A great test would be to have all of the options of golf shafts at a fitting have the exact same look....ie all are basic black....that way the ultimate best fit would be truly based on performance and not on mental logistics of preferences and marketing.

There are good shafts for less than $300. What matters is fit. Finding a good fitting shaft can be tough but there are a ton of good shafts out there and recently the manufacturers are putting better stock shafts into their offerings. I would also add that there may be a shaft/club that is a tiny bit better but you need to make the decision if it is worth the expense. For example I recently did a fitting for the new Titleist TSi drivers and at the end of the fitting the Titleist rep said this club is a great fit for you but I don't think it is worth the spend over your current driver (Mavrik).

Good for the fitter! I had a similar experience a few years ago and the fitter said my current driver was just fine.

Depends on the golfer.

A 15 handicap might not be willing to pay for a few more fairways or a few more yards per round as they don’t see the cost benefit, but a scratch or low single might be willing if those fairways and yards can mean one or two strokes per round.

Depends on the golfer.

A 15 handicap might not be willing to pay for a few more fairways or a few more yards per round as they don’t see the cost benefit, but a scratch or low single might be willing if those fairways and yards can mean one or two strokes per round.

This is a great point. For me if I can hit one or two more fairways a round it can be significant. Even with a carry distance on driver of 225 I would rather be 225 in the fairway than 235 in the rough.

Back