Golf Shoe Care/Maintenance?

ShanksaloT

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
13 WHS
How do you care for your golf shoes? Are you one to replace every year so you just toss them in the trunk after? Or, are you one to hold onto your shoes longer and take better care?

When thinking about it, I tend to hold onto my golf shoes longer than most as long as the uppers don't get badly marked/scuffed up.

After every round I knock the dirt off the bottoms in the parking lot if there isn't compressed air post-round to spray them with and, using the just worn sock I wipe them down quick to get the dirt off the uppers. Once home I tend to rinse them off and use an old tooth brush to make sure no stains/dirt set in.

Since I have 4 pairs of spiked shoes I maybe replace the cleats every 2 years as I don't wear one particular pair that often that they wear down and I replace the insoles usually every 3 years.

As for storage, I have shoe trees for nearly every pair which I put in post/pre round to pull excess moisture out and keep the shoes shape.

Question for the uppers on your leather shoes - do any of you use any cream/waterproofing products?

As for transportation, I use one of my shoe bags, depending on my mood lol.

Am I crazy? Or does anyone else do shoe maintenance?

I always try to get all of the grass out of the cleats when I'm done - I keep a dollar store scrub brush in my truck to assist in this. I also use my golf towel to wipe off any dust/dirt that accumulated during the round, and then dry the uppers off. If there's something on the uppers that might set in and stain them I will clean them better once I get home. I haven't yet settled on what cleaning and treatment products I want to use, so I'm going to follow this thread for what others use.

I don't think you're crazy - shoes are expensive and like anything else you buy the better condition you keep it the longer it will last.

Heck, @JB and @Canadan have plastic protectors for their Funko Pops and I'm likely going to have them shortly too! Nothing irritates me more than trying to keep something like that and the box not being perfect. Sorry, off topic:cool:

bang the soles to get the grass out of my spikes and give them a wipe with my wet towel before they go into the trunk. then on a shoe dryer when i get home.

How do you care for your golf shoes? Are you one to replace every year so you just toss them in the trunk after? Or, are you one to hold onto your shoes longer and take better care?

When thinking about it, I tend to hold onto my golf shoes longer than most as long as the uppers don't get badly marked/scuffed up.

After every round I knock the dirt off the bottoms in the parking lot if there isn't compressed air post-round to spray them with and, using the just worn sock I wipe them down quick to get the dirt off the uppers. Once home I tend to rinse them off and use an old tooth brush to make sure no stains/dirt set in.

Since I have 4 pairs of spiked shoes I maybe replace the cleats every 2 years as I don't wear one particular pair that often that they wear down and I replace the insoles usually every 3 years.

As for storage, I have shoe trees for nearly every pair which I put in post/pre round to pull excess moisture out and keep the shoes shape.

Question for the uppers on your leather shoes - do any of you use any cream/waterproofing products?

I do if it’s actual leather. Clean with Magic Eraser and then leather conditioner that I use in my car to prevent cracking or creasing

Of course. And it's easy to do if you do it every time. I clean the soles, usually at the brushing posts at the clubhouse. Many years ago, I acquired spring loaded, cedar capped, shoe trees, that help the shoes keep their shape. If they're excessively dirty I will wipe them down, but this is usually only a concern in the early Spring, and Autumn. We went out Saturday after an overnight downpour that saw 2.5" of rain fall on that course. My shoes were trashed after that, and needed some work.

At least once, and maybe twice, a year I will haul out the "shoe care shoe box". Depends on what kind of shape my shoes are in. It's a kit I put together which has saddle soap, the proper color polishes, brushes, rags, etc. to attend to a pair of shoes. They have extended the life of all of my shoes immeasurably! I've had "waterproof" golf shoes give me totally dry feet for over 6 years by being taken care of!

bang the soles to get the grass out of my spikes and give them a wipe with my wet towel before they go into the trunk. then on a shoe dryer when i get home.
What is a shoe dryer?

Yes I have 4 pair of shoes (2 foot joy and 2 Ecco )including a pair that are approx 20 y old in very good condition .
At end of use make sure smack the soles together loose rubbish falls out let them air dry and then use lanolin spray and polish them….each pair are clean
And ready to play . Can’t stand shoes that are scuffed or not cared for

Spikeless shoes, get in truck and go home, pour glencairn of bourbon, kick off shoes in office, and whine about my round on THP.
That's my typical care routine.

I'll knock off the dirt and grass, take out the insoles and spray with antibacterial deodorizer. I also rotate out a couple pairs, but will usually burn through at least one pair during the season since I walk 99.9% of my rounds.

If they're really caked in stuff, every so often I'll toss them in the washing machine after taking out the laces and use oxi-clean.

I'll knock off the dirt and grass, take out the insoles and spray with antibacterial deodorizer. I also rotate out a couple pairs, but will usually burn through at least one pair during the season since I walk 99.9% of my rounds.

If they're really caked in stuff, every so often I'll toss them in the washing machine after taking out the laces and use oxi-clean.
Hope you use a fabric softener on those shoes for your feet 🦶 lol 😂

Always get grass off bottom before loading in truck and wipe down outers with damp towel then dry. Once I get home I occasionally will use hose and spray away all grass in cleats, wipe down again then take out insoles and let shoes & insoles dry in sun for hours. I find drying out in sun prevents smelly shoes.

Sqairz has an article on how to clean ANY golf shoe, leather, synthetic, canvas, etc., both do's and don't's. Here is the link:

Same here…magic eraser works wonders!

I do if it’s actual leather. Clean with Magic Eraser and then leather conditioner that I use in my car to prevent cracking or creasing

Back