Golf Side Kick - Course Strategy

I have not watched this video specifically, but do find his videos engaging and refreshing, and stop by the channel from time to time. I think he has a lot of good points, many of which I use in some way or another even if not first learned from him. Positive shot selection, being decisive about swing feels and visualizing target/good miss/NO-FLY zones, hitting "stress-free" high percentage shots, and thinking your way around the course while playing YOUR game, are all themes that he emphasizes, and greatly benefit anyone.

Great channel IMO.

Good point. I think we grow up in the game watching the pros and rounds with the boys which leads to were supposed to play a certain way, instead of what works best with certain capabilities. My mind set has always been hit it as far as possible, instead of straight - which might mean clubbing down. I guess if you duff a shorter club, it could backfire. It's certainly worth experimenting with. He has a fun delivery and plays exotic courses, which makes the videos fun to watch.

I've used some of his strategies to help my scoring

I sort of do what the video guy recommends. I avoid trouble spots on the course as much as possible. I pick landing areas away from trouble, which usually gives me a cleaner, next shot. Hitting a larger landing areas, is much easier than hitting a spectfic, smaller target.

Also another thing I was taught to do, was to practice specific golf shots. Stuff like uneven lies, forced carries, shots from the rough, shots from bunkers, thin lies, and of course, those easier shots from good lies.

It's easy to figure out your normal trouble lies, and good lies. Just note the type of shot conditions you encounter, after the tee shot, and before you put the ball on the green. Do this for a few rounds. You will see your personal pattern of next shots develope, and them devote practice time in those areas. .

It's all about the more shots the golfer has in his/her bag, the better their scoring will be.

I was also taught to own a good, consistent flop/lob shot. This shot has saved me many, many strokes, over the years.

My biggest improvement has been to stop thinking about the mechanics of the swing and focus more on how I want to hit the ball. Either nice and smooth or with a good firm strike. These concepts are much easier to get going with than working out the mechanics one at a time till I find a swing that day. I have found little tricks that help with poor ballflight too. If I am slicing it a bit just strengthening my grip or moving the ball a bit forward in my stance will often fix that pretty quickly and doing the opposite for a pull hook.

Never saw this guy but he's GREAT!!! Thanks Carolina Golfer, I have never seen this before!!!

I posted elsewhere a compilation of pro swings in slo-motion that shows a wide variety of back swings. Some take the club outside, others inside. Some pick up the club, others have a one-piece takeaway. Some have "textbook" flat left wrist positions at the top, some don't. Some lay the club off, others are more steep. Couples practically lifts the club without any hip movement.

The only common denominator is impact position. My point is the back swing is not something to focus upon any more than understanding where the club is at the top, then gathering, or sequencing wherever the club is at "your top" into a position to mirror the pro's impact position.

IMO the #1 killer in golf is not accepting your own swing and trying to mimic someone else's swing.

Ok, here's the video so folks don't think I'm BS'ing.

Matt really has some great tips. Enjoy his vlogs

I quite enjoy his videos and general approach to the game.

I’ve definitely taken some of his advice to the course and my scores dropped. But mostly, he’s entertaining in his presentation and I find it refreshing.

Back