Golf-specific workout program

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
During the winter months around these parts, not much golfing going on. There's a few indoor simulators you can go to for a price and there is an indoor driving range in a bubble dome where it always feels like its only 10 degrees warmer inside than outside. Instead I started looking to maybe focus on fitness and such over the winter months.

Queue the main question: Has anyone signed up for/taken a golf specific training program and how effective do you feel it was?

Their is a local place that I just recently realized is part of a 5 location chain that offers up what they call "Golfnetics" which is a play on their big self-themed work out program called "Bionetics" which is really nothing more than marketing slang for 'sport-centric workouts'. Essentially they plan a focused workout plan on the most important muscle groups for your golf swing and focus on building repetitive muscle strength ( low and slow ) vs bulk max weight training. They also focus on flexibility in partnership with the strength training. In fact, one of their key metrics for success is increase in flexibility AND increase in strength vs sacrificing one for another. They measure keep flexibility regions ( shoulder turn, head turn, hip motion flexibility, knee strength, etc ) to get a baseline and the goal is to increase that flexibility through the workouts.

What say you THP? Real thing given the new world of professional golf or another work out center trying to cash in? I am debating giving it a try for 10 weeks just to see if the improvements are real.

Golfnetics by Athletic Apex

I was doing Fit for Golf until Covid hit and I stopped going to the gym. I thought it was a pretty good program at $12 a month. I am still paying for it and frankly should probably stop because I am not going to the gym and need to find something that works from home.

I was doing Fit for Golf until Covid hit and I stopped going to the gym. I thought it was a pretty good program at $12 a month. I am still paying for it and frankly should probably stop because I am not going to the gym and need to find something that works from home.

^^^ This

you can buy stuff off of amazon and do the workout at home. I do some mods

I know a few members here have used DDP Yoga as well and have had success.

Jennifer Fleischer is a contributor to the golf magazines and also has her own golf specific fitness website - however last i checked it was a wait-list

Not golf specific per say but I try to focus on core and flexibility.

Last edited:
Not golf specific per day but I try to focus on core and flexibility.
This. I do mine at home. I do have a decent home gym. I keep resistance bands in my work bag and often do rotational movements while at work using the bands. I like compound movements and resistance bands.

Sports physician trained and now after recovering several injuries working out hard after 25 lb weight loss. Intense interval type core training, some machine work, and pulley work to simulate swing. Starting cycling classes soon, and doing rowing now. Dec-Feb plan to hit weights hard and get speed sticks - gaming for SS increase to easily back over 100 at 63 now usually mid to occasional high 90s.
I belonged to a country club Stricker member and used same trainer who used similar type workouts.

I think it sounds like a sham. Golf "specific" workouts are dumb in my book. Train the body to be stronger by lifting weights, free weights at that. Focus on the golf specific stuff with a club in your hand. My recipe is lift free weights, check out startingstrength.com. I think something like over speed training is a great idea as well, but that's a golf specific as I'd get. Focus on big compound body movements, they hit all the muscles, not just some silly concept like just the golf ones. Paging @blugold

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think it sounds like a sham. Golf "specific" workouts are dumb in my book. Train the body to be stronger by lifting weights, free weights at that. Focus on the golf specific stuff with a club in your hand. My recipe is lift free weights, check out startingstrength.com. I think something like over speed training is a great idea as well, but that's a golf specific as I'd get. Focus on big compound body movements, they hit all the muscles, not just some silly concept like just the golf ones. Paging @blugold

I think there are some things that train rotational strength, explosiveness and flexibility that help with golf. I agree it needs to be a balanced plan and things like squats, deadlifts, lunges etc build a good base of strength but there are things you can combine them with that will help with increasing swing speed and protecting the body.

Yeah. Muscle is good. I wish I didn't start out back when the wisdom was to worry about being musclebound. That was so stupid in hindsight, but there we were.

Core strength and flexibility are my two primary areas of focus during the off-season

I’ve been doing personal training with a guy who works with a lot of golfers and is quite the stick himself. He actually knows Mike from Fit for Golf, and he works in a lot of similar exercises. Every workout includes strength training (deadlifts, various versions of squats, etc.), explosive work (jumps and MB throws/slams), and mobility exercises. And every single exercise engages your core. Core strength/stability and hip mobility are key for me—I’ve had a bad back for years and fight an early extension that may be subconsciously related to protecting my back. I’m Actually pumped for the offseason work on this program.

^^^ This

you can buy stuff off of amazon and do the workout at home. I do some mods

I know a few members here have used DDP Yoga as well and have had success.

Jennifer Fleischer is a contributor to the golf magazines and also has her own golf specific fitness website - however last i checked it was a wait-list

Yeah, DDP Yoga rocks, especially in combination with something training strength/speed, like SuperSpeed.

Protein shakes and eggs 💪

Starting a workout program is not dumb in any sense. Maybe calling it golf specific is non sense. Most if not all of the workout I’ve seen include all of the compound movements as part of the routine. Usually they just put more emphasis on balance and core work than some other routines.

I’ve been doing personal training with a guy who works with a lot of golfers and is quite the stick himself. He actually knows Mike from Fit for Golf, and he works in a lot of similar exercises. Every workout includes strength training (deadlifts, various versions of squats, etc.), explosive work (jumps and MB throws/slams), and mobility exercises. And every single exercise engages your core. Core strength/stability and hip mobility are key for me—I’ve had a bad back for years and fight an early extension that may be subconsciously related to protecting my back. I’m Actually pumped for the offseason work on this program.

That's what this program seems to be. In essence its a core strength/stability program with a focus on flexibility in the spine, hips and shoulders. You have all the 'normal' workout routines but then they get modified a bit to work out specific groups of muscles/actions.

For example, theres standard leg press and one leg press as part of the routine, however do the one leg presses at a 45 degree externally rotated angle to the hip to work the external flexors/glutes. With the traditional fly press, instead of going lateral across your chest, you are starting in a elbow-bend position with the hand/forearm rotated at a 45 degree angle inwards to work on the lower shoulder/back and not just across the pectorals. Stuff like that.

So its less 'golf specific' as it is 'core strength and flexibility' but with the exercises focusing on the muscles most used in the golf swing.

Starting a workout program is not dumb in any sense. Maybe calling it golf specific is non sense. Most if not all of the workout I’ve seen include all of the compound movements as part of the routine. Usually they just put more emphasis on balance and core work than some other routines.

Agreed. This is similar. Compound motions focusing on joint flexibility and core strength. The compound motions however are those used in the golf swing which makes it a more golf-centered workout.

I signed up tor

1. trainfuly.com -- around $39. Began a few months ago. Stretching, loosening up golf muscles, etc.

2. https://superspeedgolf.com. I began using SuperSpeed training recently and also using Superspeed C

3. Cardio on a Concept Rower

4. Moderate Weights and Kettlebells

Working from home, I try to do quick cardio during breaks and lifting a bit. In the afternoon, it's trainfuly and more cardio, and then Superspeed.

I signed up tor

1. trainfuly.com -- around $39. Began a few months ago. Stretching, loosening up golf muscles, etc.

2. https://superspeedgolf.com. I began using SuperSpeed training recently and also using Superspeed C

3. Cardio on a Concept Rower

4. Moderate Weights and Kettlebells

Working from home, I try to do quick cardio during breaks and lifting a bit. In the afternoon, it's trainfuly and more cardio, and then Superspeed.

Do you need the gym for trainfuly?

Do you need the gym for trainfuly?

No. Just some space in your family room or an extra bedroom. They have a small shopping list of items linked that you can buy on Amazon.

Starting a workout program isn't dumb at all. Starting and doing one that doesn't yield results is dumb. And I'm sorry to say that what a majority of people do in the gym doesn't yield results and they end up doing the same exact thing for months or even years, never progressing.

Focus on getting stronger with big lifts, everything will get stronger, that's training the body to get strong. Then practice the golf stuff, overspeed training would be the best choice in my opinion.

Here's a video about training vs. practice. It's only like 8 minutes, but you can skip to the 5 minute mark if you only want to hear about golf.

Yeah, I agree. I need to temper my thoughts on this topic because I can come across a little heavy handed.

{Sport} Specific workouts are a sham business plan perpetrated by people exploiting the general population. That goes for all sports, not just golf.

I am a big believer in the "Two Factor Model For Sports Performance." Train to get stronger with general training protocols. Specifically apply that strength through drills, practice and play of the sport. That includes golf. Getting strong with big lifts done to a full range of motion will get a person stronger, more flexible, improve balance, and increase coordination. Then go play and practice golf. It's not complicated, but people expect complicated. I've worked with plenty of golfers who just got marginally stronger squatting, pressing, deadlifting, and bench pressing. Gained 15-20 yards on every club. I never had them do banded rotational nonsense or bosu ball whoopty-dos.

Whatever. Want to gain distance? Add 150lbs to your squat, 200lbs to your deadlift, 75lbs to your bench press, and 40lbs to your press.

I used to do Joey D Golf and plan to start it back up

I bought the package for around $100 which includes the DVD (beginner and normal workout), large and small fitness balls and the fitness band that attaches to a door.

It takes about 20-25 min 3 days a week and since starting it 2 years ago haven’t been back to the chiropractor (lower back).

Good amount of core and balance work which I needed.

My only gripe is they never offered any other advanced videos. I reached out to them and their next step was personalized video training which seemed pricey.

Starting a workout program isn't dumb at all. Starting and doing one that doesn't yield results is dumb. And I'm sorry to say that what a majority of people do in the gym doesn't yield results and they end up doing the same exact thing for months or even years, never progressing.

Focus on getting stronger with big lifts, everything will get stronger, that's training the body to get strong. Then practice the golf stuff, overspeed training would be the best choice in my opinion.

Here's a video about training vs. practice. It's only like 8 minutes, but you can skip to the 5 minute mark if you only want to hear about golf.

Think you forgot the video. ;)

Yeah, I agree. I need to temper my thoughts on this topic because I can come across a little heavy handed.

{Sport} Specific workouts are a sham business plan perpetrated by people exploiting the general population. That goes for all sports, not just golf.

I am a big believer in the "Two Factor Model For Sports Performance." Train to get stronger with general training protocols. Specifically apply that strength through drills, practice and play of the sport. That includes golf. Getting strong with big lifts done to a full range of motion will get a person stronger, more flexible, improve balance, and increase coordination. Then go play and practice golf. It's not complicated, but people expect complicated. I've worked with plenty of golfers who just got marginally stronger squatting, pressing, deadlifting, and bench pressing. Gained 15-20 yards on every club. I never had them do banded rotational nonsense or bosu ball whoopty-dos.

Whatever. Want to gain distance? Add 150lbs to your squat, 200lbs to your deadlift, 75lbs to your bench press, and 40lbs to your press.
Why do people make it so hard? Squatting and deadlift I guess. Those rubber bands are just so much easier. I was hoping Bryson getting big would put this non- lifting golf soecific approach to rest. Must just be his exploitation of the equipment rules.

Back