Golf Tech and Your Game?

Yes, range finders are more accurate than GPS, as long as you can see what you're shooting. That's the one advantage GPS has, you don't need line of sight to your target.
Cheers.

I'll stick with GPS as it's still more accurate than my distance control!!

I carry a Nikon image-stabilized rangefinder and that's it.

Does it count if I go out in the back yard and use my iPhone to video my swing once in a while?

I use a gps watch, laser rangefinder, Bluetooth speaker or headphones and sometimes video.

RF and free, often sketchy, iPhone GPS app.

I carry a Nikon image-stabilized rangefinder and that's it.

Does it count if I go out in the back yard and use my iPhone to video my swing once in a while?
What do you think of the image-stabilization? I would love that for my shaky hands but balked at the cost. I love the image stabilization on my long lenses for my SLR camera.

What do you think of the image-stabilization? I would love that for my shaky hands but balked at the cost. I love the image stabilization on my long lenses for my SLR camera.
Would not even consider a rangefinder without it now. Just so much quicker and easier to be sure I am getting the exact target I want.

I use a laser 90% of the time and use the golf cart GPS as secondary to that.

Video/trackman I use during lessons with my instructor. Outside of that, golf to me is distracting enough - I dont need more gadgets....

Hand me down Callaway rangefinder- from @tucsoncacti who won a new one here on THP, and Arccos. Wasn’t sure if I’d like Arccos, but it is definitely worth the subscription fee, IMO.

I use my Garmin S62 GPS watch during the round

My previous instructor used GCQuad but moved to Trackman, and the pros at my home club use Trackman

Garmin watch . For distance measurement only , nothing more than that, prefer Keeping the game simple , no speakers / music etc

Have had usage of high end shot measurement devices when , purchasing new clubs or comparative to incumbent club.

that’s it🙂

Garmin watch . For distance measurement only , nothing more than that, prefer Keeping the game simple , no speakers / music etc

Have had usage of high end shot measurement devices when , purchasing new clubs or comparative to incumbent club.

that’s it🙂
Yeah, why haven't we seen more posts on speakers? Sure see them out on the course.

14yo range finder ( Bushnell 1600 ) and Golfshot GPS. That’s it.

I use monitors to figure out what I want to try on course, where I rangefinder, use gps tracking, and take some video. Been trying to wear a gps watch more lately too. I use the gps tracking data and stats A LOT to sniff out recent and long term tendecies looking for things in approach and skills to work on/change, and analyze video for things that are and aren't working for me as well. I also use gps apps to scout layouts, hazards, and greens to get an idea what it'll be like playing somewhere and gameplan for it from anything to specific shots, what to avoid, or what clubs to bring.

Yeah, why haven't we seen more posts on speakers? Sure see them out on the course.
I have to say , I have only encountered , that twice on course , and was by groups who were , learning the game and very slow, play rate..
Have little tolerance for music on course , not a fan . Happy to have after game as loud as you like , although may not be my preference in music style , just not on course )

I have always used a range finder but have been using GPS the last few round since my rangefinder broke and I kind of like it. I find myself not trusting it sometimes but seeing the yardages to hazards and front and back of the green is great.

The place I take lessons has a launch monitor and and my coach takes videos of my swing. I have found the video to be the most helpful part of the lesson as far as tech goes.

I use monitors to figure out what I want to try on course, where I rangefinder, use gps tracking, and take some video. Been trying to wear a gps watch more lately too. I use the gps tracking data and stats A LOT to sniff out recent and long term tendecies looking for things in approach and skills to work on/change, and analyze video for things that are and aren't working for me as well. I also use gps apps to scout layouts, hazards, and greens to get an idea what it'll be like playing somewhere and gameplan for it from anything to specific shots, what to avoid, or what clubs to bring.
Easy to have information overload. I rely primarily on my rangefinder. But I’m finding my Arccos caddy is surprisingly accurate for club selection the more rounds I add to the app. Would be difficult to implement it using multiple sets of clubs, however.

Easy to have information overload. I rely primarily on my rangefinder. But I’m finding my Arccos caddy is surprisingly accurate for club selection the more rounds I add to the app. Would be difficult to implement it using multiple sets of clubs, however.
I could see that. I do well with a lot of information. Keeps my mind busy. Also just kind of helps me eliminate all doubt before the swing.

Honestly, the only reason arccos never got a decent go from me was the amount of different clubs I play. Seemed like a bad fit for that reason. Most of the irons I play now are similar enough it wouldn't be much of an issue anymore. I prefer the proximity charts and other metrics of others too though.

Yeah, Arccos is not a great fit for someone who plays multiple sets of clubs. That being said- you play enough that after a couple of months you would have enough info to make some informed decisions. I would make the investment in the grips with integrated sensors- and that would be a pretty big investment with someone with as many clubs as you play. If you don’t mind the financial investment- and you can get grips you like with integrated sensors, I would try it for a year- just to see if you like it. You play enough that multiple subscriptions might be an option. Maybe contact their customer support and see what your options are. You can’t be the only golfer using multiple sets of clubs- maybe they will work a deal with you.

Edit: Might even be a learning experience for ARCCOS to integrate multiple sets of clubs.

Last edited:
Voice caddie at the range and home net. Rangefinder on the course, and I just added a shotscope v3, anxious to use that.

Apple Watch and the SwingU app is what I’ve been using. I just got some Arccos sensors from ping but I haven’t had the opportunity to put them in play yet. I’m very interested to how it turns out.

I have to say , I have only encountered , that twice on course , and was by groups who were , learning the game and very slow, play rate..
Have little tolerance for music on course , not a fan . Happy to have after game as loud as you like , although may not be my preference in music style , just not on course )
Let me clarify. I see a lot of players with speakers out on the course. However, a vast majority of them play them at such a low level only they can hear them. Others ask the other players in their group if they mind. Very few blast them without regard for those around them.

I also see a lot of folks on the range with earbuds. Again, it doesn't create a problem for others around them...unless you are trying to get their attention!

So, while I am seeing it a lot, the vast majority are using them respectfully.

I’ve come to like using a rangefinder and GPS. I range the pin and check green numbers to aim between the two numbers closer to the friendlier miss. Swing Caddie 100 on the range to keep up with carry numbers since bunkers fronting the green is a thing. Phone for scoring and stat keeping. Arccos sensors on hand to try as a replacement to Game Golf. I might like tech a little.

I use a GPS watch that records my full swing shots (but not which club) scores and number of putts. I’ll use a rangefinder at times, a PRGR launch monitor at home to monitor my swing speed. I will at different times record my swing on my iPhone while hitting into my net.

Back