SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
Another post on how good the tour players are got me to thinking about technology and how much the game has avanced because of it. We have our460cc drivers, adjustable FW's, SGI and GI clubs, inserts on putters, high/low spin golf balls, GPS devices, ect. Is there an piece of equipment that has been not been affected by technology? The only thing I could come up with was the ball marker. Then I recalled seeing one that read the slope/break of the green. Not sure it was legal.

Is there anything that has remained the same over time? Or, is there a piece of equipment you think should have been left the way it was?

I feel the ball is the most advance and has changed the game the most.The new ball is the reason for hybrids.If it wasn't for the ball we could still hit 3 irons with authority.But,cause the ball spins so much less ,we can't elevate the 3 iron like we used to.With the new ball and hybrids,the long game has become much easier to play the game.

The ball is also the reason for the grooves that have now been banned.Having the ball spin less required the Oem's to reinvent the grooves to combat the newer golf balls.

Anyhow,just my thoughts.

Another post on how good the tour players are got me to thinking about technology and how much the game has avanced because of it. We have our460cc drivers, adjustable FW's, SGI and GI clubs, inserts on putters, high/low spin golf balls, GPS devices, ect. Is there an piece of equipment that has been not been affected by technology? The only thing I could come up with was the ball marker. Then I recalled seeing one that read the slope/break of the green. Not sure it was legal.

Is there anything that has remained the same over time? Or, is there a piece of equipment you think should have been left the way it was?

That ball marker is not legal.

I think for all the advancements, the putter is the one club that has remained the most unchanged. I know there are now big mallet, high MOI, belly, and long putters. But look at what the player's who win use . . . usually designs that have been around for decades.

But completely unchanged? Not that I can think of. Even tees have evolved.

Good catch Harry. I thought Sean had come up with one. Let's see if anyone can come up with anything else.

I would say everything has changed to some degree, just depends how far back you want to look. The course its self has changed in places, while other places it's much the same as 15 to 20 years ago.

I got one Harry... the cup itself has not changed...or has it?

Yeah, but it won't improve your driving by 20 yards. :)

I'm not too sure. Ever wear one of those straw hats we played 25 years ago, they were the rage, but hot as hell.

You may very well be right, Harry.

The only things I could think of regarding equipment that has not changed was the power plant. Except for the professional, the amateur golfer's swing has not changed, collectively or the masses. Not so much for the pros, but all golfers still hit the same poor shots golfers have been hitting for ever. Equipment technology may have curtailed off line dispersion distance, but a slice is still a slice, a hook a hook, shanks are shanks, and so on down the line.

I did not read all the posts in this thread. If I am being repetitive, my apologies. :D

The only things I could think of regarding equipment that has not changed was the power plant. Except for the professional, the amateur golfer's swing has not changed, collectively or the masses. Not so much for the pros, but all golfers still hit the same poor shots golfers have been hitting for ever. Equipment technology may have curtailed off line dispersion distance, but a slice is still a slice, a hook a hook, shanks are shanks, and so on down the line.

I did not read all the posts in this thread. If I am being repetitive, my apologies. :D
Well said. In that regard things are very much the same.

putter grips
they have the thing on the end so you dont have to bend over and pick up the ball

What?

What?

I know one thing - with all the changes they've made in Golf they still haven't changed some of the most nonsense rules any game has!
I really love this game. But some of the rules are just stupid!

I feel the ball is the most advance and has changed the game the most.The new ball is the reason for hybrids.If it wasn't for the ball we could still hit 3 irons with authority.But,cause the ball spins so much less ,we can't elevate the 3 iron like we used to.With the new ball and hybrids,the long game has become much easier to play the game.

The ball is also the reason for the grooves that have now been banned.Having the ball spin less required the Oem's to reinvent the grooves to combat the newer golf balls.

Anyhow,just my thoughts.

I agree that the most advance has been the ball. Although seeing a driver now compared to 40 years ago is eye opening.

I always thought that was the reason the hybrid was created as well, and I was told I was wrong. By the man that created the 1st hybrid. I asked him about this very thing at the THP Dinner in Orlando and he mentions it in the interview we just did with him for THP the Magazine. The ball was not really in his thoughts at all.

Ironically he is also the same person responsible for milling grooves because the ball spun less. So same guy and 2 different pretty amazing things.

Back