Golf the Noun vs Golf the Verb

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I had no idea this was such a hot topic hahaha!

Are you aware that there is ONE right way to refer to golf? Based on some of the information I have read, you are not a serious golfer if you proclaim to be "going golfing" - Rather, you must define your activity as "playing golf"

Were you aware? Do you have a passion for how you define your golf?

Are you aware that there is ONE right way to refer to golf? Based on some of the information I have read, you are not a serious golfer if you proclaim to be "going golfing" - Rather, you must define your activity as "playing golf"

I knew that many traditionalists/purists use golf as a noun, not a verb. As an attorney, it is drummed into you that every word matters and you can let it become a problem in dealing with others. Therefore, I try not to get hung up on the use of words that do not truly have significance in the way they are used. Live and let live.

Last edited:
I will admit that it sounds a bit off to say "going golfing" vs "playing golf" but it's all just "sportsing" anyway...

Who knew this was such a big deal? :oops:

Here's how I break it down:

"Play a round of golf" - Used when specifically talking about creating a 4 some for a tee time at a specific course
"Play golf" - how I describe it to non-golfers as to what I do on Saturdays ( and other days as needed )
"Go golfing" - Can describe organizing a "round of golf" with other golfers or going to the driving range or to show up and play with randoms. It encompasses a large group of activities related to the game of golf.

I use both pretty interchangeably. If that means I’m not a serious golfer, I can live with that ;)

It is hilarious you bring this up at this moment. I kept seeing these T-Shirts and could not figure out the joke.. 🤦‍♂️

let-s-go-golfing-play-golf-shirt-Shirt.jpg

I am now aware! And will use the "correct" term since I am a "serious" golfer lol

Never knew that. I'm probably guilty of using the "wrong" way, but then again never thought about it.

The english language is full of pitfalls, multiple spellings, multiple pronunciations, etc...

I just want to "golf" my ball !!

Playing golf or going golfing, it's all golf to me..

The english language is full of pitfalls, multiple spellings, multiple pronunciations, etc...

I just want to "golf" my ball !!

Here, hear, hair to you to, two, too. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think it's so much about how serious a player you are, but more about how serious you are about your grammar.

Golf, quite simply, is not a verb.

Seriously?? You didn't know that!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did this all come about because on the last off course discussion @HipCheck corrected you I think. It was subtle and quick, but I caught it.

Looks like I use both, like, all the time. o_O

It is hilarious you bring this up at this moment. I kept seeing these T-Shirts and could not figure out the joke.. 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 8947296

I am now aware! And will use the "correct" term since I am a "serious" golfer lol
The randomness of the capitalization on this shirt is far more offensive than the word "golfing."

I don't think it's so much about how serious a player you are, but more about how serious you are about your grammar.

Golf, quite simply, is not a verb.

:rolleyes: Sure it is.

Seriously?? You didn't know that!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did this all come about because on the last off course discussion @HipCheck corrected you I think. It was subtle and quick, but I caught it.
I think we should debate it for the podcast tomorrow.

I am a serious golfer and go golfing all the time!!

I believe all word forms of golf, like the "F" word (which I tend to use a lot while golfing), are generally acceptable across the board :cool:

I believe the word forms of golf, like the "F" word (which I tend to use a lot while PLAYING GOLF), is generally acceptable across the board :cool:

FIFY

While I think playing golf is correct. I don't care with I hear golfing. I am not that kind of grammar Nazi.. Say it and play it how you want. Lets just have a good time.

1591288701761.png

Use it however you like. Some folks will think you're a goober if you do it improperly. You'll be goobering.

I also loathe "officing."

Back