Golf the Noun vs Golf the Verb

This is funny. Tell me verb/noun relationship of the following:
“I’m going drinking beer with my friends”
“I’m drinking a beer with my friends”

Haha! You almost got me to diagram a sentence, but I didn't like it in Mr. Cafferty's 5th Grade class and I'm not going to do it now.

this thread might be better than jacked lofts.

We just need some big time proponents to the 'say whatever the hell you want' crowd haha

this thread might be better than jacked lofts.

We just need some big time proponents to the 'say whatever the hell you want' crowd haha
But, is the loft jacked or is it jacked lofts? 🤔🤔🤔

I say, I’m going to the golf course, whenever I refer to any of it.
i tell my wife, I’m going to the golf course.
my kids ask what are you doing, I’m going to the golf course.
what are you doing after work, I’m going to the golf course.

going golfing sounds pretty weak.

Seriously?? You didn't know that!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did this all come about because on the last off course discussion @HipCheck corrected you I think. It was subtle and quick, but I caught it.

That was tongue-in-cheek. I didn't realize that Dan didn't realize why I was doing it! :p

Did you say that?
Say what? 'Golfed his ball'? I don't think so. Dan said it in the 'what golf stuff did you do today thread' yesterday I think.

Say what? 'Golfed his ball'? I don't think so. Dan said it in the 'what golf stuff did you do today thread' yesterday I think.
That’s what I’m wondering, did dan say that?

That was tongue-in-cheek. I didn't realize that Dan didn't realize why I was doing it! :p

I figured, I just thought it was funny that I caught it. It was super fast and not really a thing. Till today.

I’ve used it interchangeably and it’s never really bothered me one way or the other.

Words mean a whole lot in my line of work, but this is one instance where I’m of the opinion that the intended message is much more important than the scholastic assessment.

Besides, the very nature of language is that it evolves around its use.

When my wife asked if I’m going golfing this weekend, I let her know I planned to play many rounds of golf

This post is funny. Tell me verb/noun relationship of the following:
“I’m going drinking with my friends”
“I’m drinking with my friends”

BTW - where’s the English Majors out there?
Well, obviously "drinking" is the verb form in both of those sentences. There isn't a direct comparison here, right? There's no option to say "I'm playing drink with my friends."

I just want to point out that 'Golf the noun' sounds kinda verby.

Well, obviously "drinking" is the verb form in both of those sentences. There isn't a direct comparison here, right? There's no option to say "I'm playing drink with my friends."

BE277FE8-BD27-494D-A5AC-A457FB07DE1E.png

I'm not a going golfing guy. I go to play golf.

Dammit I said I wouldn't do this but ...

In the first sentence "going" is the verb. Drinking Beer is the action. Or something.

Dammit I said I wouldn't do this but ...

In the first sentence "going" is the verb. Drinking Beer is the action. Or something.
Verbs are the "action" words, so they are both verbs! :cool:

Back