Golf this summer - Forced to walk? OR single riders only?

We only have one local course that forces you to ride, so I'm interested to see what they do as the course would destroy you to walk it given the elevation changes. If they have to give everyone their own cart, it's really going to cut down the number of rounds per day that they can offer.

For myself, I walk 95% of the time, so no changes for me out there.

No walking here in the summer. Not many people are going to hoof it when it's 110 degrees and no shade on the course.
Yeah screw that ..... I didn't have the best of luck the last time I was in Arizona :eek:

I walk 99% of my rounds, so the cart thing isn't really an issue for me.

Was discussing this with a few people. I'm thinking social distancing is going to extend through the summer in most areas meaning unless you live in the same house you won't be riding in a cart with your buddies for a round. Is it time to invest in a push cart? Will courses charge more for single riders?

I bought a Sun Mountain 2.5+ for myself and my son as I plan on waking exclusively this season.

Great bag and even with a full set of clubs light enough to carry for our typical 9 hole rounds. We rarely play 18 and I expect once courses open here in Michigan they will be jammed so 5+ hour rounds will be the norm for 18 holes.

Rather play 9 holes more often than a long, slow round of 18.

Taking a cart when the course is jammed makes you feel like you are waiting longer than walking between shots plus get a little exercise in at the same time.

I'll be walking all summer. I find it keeps my body lose and focus better than riding carts anyways. Carts were being allowed up this way with 1 rider per and with them getting sanitized after each round. The cost for that was killing clubs that already had limited usage and limited revenue options ( i.e. no liquor/beer sales, no food sales, no add one sales - pro shop/driving range/cart costs )

Walk and carry is my first choice. A pull cart is my second. Depends on the course, the layout, how much walking is involved and how many holes I’m playing.

Played yesterday at 3:45 PM with Mrs. Reject. We hoofed it, other 3 guys had their own carts. City course has cut tee times by half to encourage distancing. Young kid #2 left after 9 holes (about 60 strokes). Young kid #1 left after #11....we finished back 9 in an hour and a half which is highly unusual for this course!

i'm seeing a lot of "single riders only" at some course web pages...if that's the case, i'll walk if I am in a group...once the triple digit heat rolls in, i'll probably succumb to the cart a few times when by myself.

Makes sense with gas use alone let alone wear and tear on the carts. Have you noticed rounds taking longer or has the opposite happened?
rounds are much faster with single riders, everyone goes to own ball.

the social distancing will probably hang around for a while... even though you'll be out of sight of the clubhouse someone will call in and report you if you're too close.

I'll walk... I need the exercise.

Our course allows carts (single only), and they are cleaned after each use. That being said, I just don’t trust the cleaning so I’m going to keep walking. I enjoy walking anyway, so I don’t really mind at all. You can’t bring your own push carts to my course, so I’ve been carrying. Not sure if this will change or not.

So far here in AZ, most all of the courses are making everyone ride single at no charge. If you are in same household, then you can double up. I have heard of one course that said they would charge $15 extra for single cart. (they may not have actually charged it) But that is definitely the exception here. Kudos to the golf courses for doing the stand up thing and promoting social distancing through this.

single person to a cart. Not only does pace of play vastly improve from two people in a cart but it doesnt even compare to those walking.

Was discussing this with a few people. I'm thinking social distancing is going to extend through the summer in most areas meaning unless you live in the same house you won't be riding in a cart with your buddies for a round. Is it time to invest in a push cart? Will courses charge more for single riders?

The courses are not charging more for single riders in carts, at least in my experience. It’s becoming difficult to find push carts, so you might want to get on that one. There are some in my area that will allow only walking and it’s helping my fitness, LOL.

I get the monthly newsletter for a course near me... they said everyone riding a cart was full price whether they were playing or not.

The courses are not charging more for single riders in carts, at least in my experience. It’s becoming difficult to find push carts, so you might want to get on that one. There are some in my area that will allow only walking and it’s helping my fitness, LOL.
Well after spending a couple hundred on a mat I’m not sure I want to spend the same on a push cart just yet. I can carry for the time being if needed

I walk here in the UK anyway, so it wouldn't change anything for me - only decision I need to make is do I push or carry

I have a push cart with the ewheels unit so I've been walking a bunch anyways

Our club opens today and encourages walking but allows single riders or two from the same family in a cart. Carts are not available to go to the range which is a few hundred yards away and the practice green and short game practice area is closed. FWIW, I walk all my rounds at my home club unless I'm playing 36 I sometimes grab a cart for the second round.

No walking here in the summer. Not many people are going to hoof it when it's 110 degrees and no shade on the course.

Get ready....First 100F day in the forcast for Sunday. Cheaper golf season is almost upon us!

Been wondering this myself. There are several courses that we usually play that are walking only. Having been nothing but a rider all the time, walking 18 while carrying was pretty rough for me. I'm sure it gets better as you do it more often, but after about 11 holes I was ready to walk to the clubhouse. Does pushing/pulling a cart make it that much easier?

We started off as one person per cart. Then we closed and when we reopened, it's walking only unless you own your own cart. I love walking our course though so whatever happens this summer won't really change how I go out there :)

At my home course, we currently have a one-to-a-cart rule, but, the course isn't charging extra for it. I have my own cart, so generally am alone in it anyway. You can also walk the course is desired.

My course isn't particularly walker friendly since there's a long bridge that runs along a road that gets you from the 9th tee to its green, and back for 17. Very few walkers because of that and that the heat. Will be curious what happens when it opens back up.

Been wondering this myself. There are several courses that we usually play that are walking only. Having been nothing but a rider all the time, walking 18 while carrying was pretty rough for me. I'm sure it gets better as you do it more often, but after about 11 holes I was ready to walk to the clubhouse. Does pushing/pulling a cart make it that much easier?
I wouldn't know since I've never used a push cart but I would imagine not having to carry would be a lot easier...and great exercise either way

Back