Golf Travel: Driver/Fairway/Hybrid Heads on or off?

Driver/Fairway/Hybrid Heads on or off?

• Total voters

OITW

Reaction score
For a while I used a stiff arm and traveled with the heads on and everything was fine. Read a lot about people taking the heads off and packing them in the travel bag or carry-on.

Ran into some issues with TSA on one of my last trips where I tried to bring the heads through security in my carry-on. Went back to packing them in the travel case with the stiff arm

Please take the poll above.

What does everyone do when traveling?

TSA What Can I Bring?

You'll notice the asterisk at the bottom. LAME

Driver is off.

Fairway and hybrids can stay on.

Use Stiff Arm.

You can't pack heads in carry on anymore? Weird.

I always take them off put back in headcovers and place inside the bag

You can't pack heads in carry on anymore? Weird.

I always take them off put back in headcovers and place inside the bag

It's up to the discretion of the officer - my understanding is full golf club ie head and shaft - but apparently boss/chief says heads are a no no

I leave the heads on and use a Stiff Arm. No issues so far.

Remove heads when possible, did store them in my carry on bag, but that was mainly due to embargo dates and comfort. Maybe from now on I would store in headcover and place in a pocket in golf bag if there is an issue moving forward.

I take the heads off and such, just because it's one less thing I have to worry about.

I take the heads off if they come off. Put them in the head covers and put them in the bag somewhere. Then I take the shafts and turn them upside down so the butt end is up. Then I take all the clubs and shafts and put them in the center holes of the bag that way if the bag takes a side hit the shafts have some sort of cushion. I also put my shoes up top towards to help cushion a blow.

I will take off what can be removed and put those in their headcovers and tuck in travel bag. The ones that can't be removed i wrap towels around.

If the heads can be removed, I remove them, put them in the headcover and put them in the pockets of the golf bag. I still use a stiff arm and towels for everything else.

I don't use stiff arm because I've had issues in the past with soft bags even with reinforcing structure like a stiff arm. I went hard case and leave everything on. Only thing I do is add iron head covers along with the driver/fairway head covers to avoid shaft damage/iron head damage. I also wrap a towl in between the shafts to absorb shock.

I take the heads off, put them in their covers and stash them in the bag pockets.

In my hard case, I leave them on. Soft case, take them off.

I always remove the heads and put them in my carry on. The bag gets inspected because they look odd on X-ray, but never an issue after they open my bag up and see its just heads.

On. I don’t care that much anymore, sheer laziness.

I take mine off and pack them in the side pocket of my golf bag. I rarely have them with me on my carry on or backpack.

I haven't traveled with golf clubs in about 15 years. I never had any issues before, but I appreciate reading everyone's opinions and experiences with traveling with clubs. I'm going to have to get a padded travel cover and a stiff arm device apparently.

Driver head comes off and goes in my carry on back pack. Fairways stay on because they're fixed but I use a Stiff Arm as well.

I use a hardcase but will stay take off the driver head. My FWs are non adjustable.

My “soft” travel cover is for staff bags and has great protection on top. I will still remove the driver head and put it in the headcover in the big pocket of my bag. The 3 wood is glued and I am not too worried about my hybrid.

Heads off and stored in headcover and placed in the golf bag. There will be no club snapping while traveling.

I take them all off, wrap each individually with bubble wrap, then wrap them in my 2 golf towels and pack them with the bag. I always take the shafts and put them adapter down in the bag. I've never had an issue. (and iron covers on the irons..)

I am yet to fly with golf clubs. When I do, then off with their heads!

I wrap my heads in towels but also remove my driver head, so far worked for me. I use a Srixon Travel Bag Soft Sided

Back