Golf Trip Travel: Driving vs Flying

OITW

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough this year to have a couple of golf trips go forward even with the crazy that has been 2020.

One of them we drove, the other one I flew. Both experiences had their positives and negatives.

However, I did enjoy the driving experience more than the flying experience and I think if we do the same or a similar trip next year I will drive. I also think that if it makes sense and I'm able to do it, I will probably lean toward driving in the future than flying.

On the flip side, I know that driving to certain locations for a golf trip isn't logistically feasible, so I will continue to fly for those trips.

What say you THP, do you prefer to fly or drive for your golf trips?

I prefer do drive if you can make it in less than 10 hours. It’s so liberating to be on your own time and you can bring as much gear with you as you want.

If time and money weren't an issue I would 100% drive every time. I really enjoy driving, especially somewhere new and then you don't have to worry about lost luggage, missing connecting flights, dealing with a rental car, etc.

I always prefer driving. I cannot even begin to count up the miles I've driven for work over the last 27 years (my dad put me into a truck with a trailer on it shortly after I got my license. It's more comfortable and you have more options. Plus, I'm a bit on the rounded side of in shape (read very much round, not so much in shape) so it's nice to have a bit of extra room and the ability to stop and walk if I start to get stiff from sitting. Clearly flying works better if you're going across country but anything less than 8 hours driving is probably faster in a car once you figure in getting to the airport early, connecting flights if you have them and collecting luggage, getting a rental car and what have you.

Besides, there is still a ton of the country I haven't seen and I'd really like to see it all. What better way than to drive?

I fly a lot for work....well not in 2020. I bring my golf clubs on a business trip but for a true golf trip with the boys, I prefer to drive. Like @Carolina Dundee said you are on your own time and you can bring as much gear with you as you want. Plus driving to a golf trip with your boys is probably the best part of the trip.

Depends on the distance and how long the trip is. If I can drive it in less than Delta can get me there, I will. Hopefully, as I try to get on the road, I don't forget my luggage at the house.

Anything over 6 hours is usually a fly for me but I guess it depends on how much time I have. Driving solo is kind of boring in which case I'd rather fly..

It depends. If it's a couple of hours, I'll drive. If it's across the country, I'll fly.

Much prefer to drive but that definitely limits destination courses.

Anything over 6 hours is usually a fly for me but I guess it depends on how much time I have. Driving solo is kind of boring in which case I'd rather fly..
6 hours is usually my limit on driving for something like that.

If it is within 6 hours, I am driving. If it is 8, I am on the fence. More than that, unless I have others with me, I am likely flying.

I don’t like flying much and prefer driving over sitting in airports waiting to move.

So far my golf trips have been to California and Arizona during vacation so I have flown but, once I retire, I will have no qualms about driving anywhere to golf.

I used to fly but the seats in planes have gotten so small in coach I just can’t be even get a little bit comfortable. I like having my own vehicle, having my own schedule, carrying as much as I want and usually saving some money too.

Anything over 10-12. Fly.

I love driving, and having that alone time. But as I get older, the long pushes just aren't worth it anymore.

My limit for me would be one day. If the destination is within one day's drive, I would consider driving.

Drive for me. Have no plans to get on a plane any time soon.

Headed to Myrtle on Sunday and will be driving.

I made 2 trips to similar area locations, first one I drove (8 hours of drive, about 9 when stops were included each way) and for the 2nd one I flew.... going up wasn't bad, but coming back after playing a lot of golf and drinking a lot of alcohol over 3-4 days with not nearly as much sleep as I should have gotten, the flying was so much better.

Depends on the cost of everything, including the cost of time.

If flying is an option and the flight takes less time than driving (including arrival time to airport and time to wait on bags), then I'm flying. I absolutely hate driving.

Looking at a Riviera Maya trip next year. Travel friends have vip access to golf course, so it will be first time flying with clubs... a little nervous but people are doing it every day... well, they used to... :rolleyes:

Live look at you and @KY Golfer

He decision to drive or fly had nothing to do with me. And neither he nor I will be doubling up on a motorcycle anytime soon. Well unless he likes sidecars. LOL!!!

Usually in the 6-8 hour window I'll drive if it involves at least a few days stay. Anything more I'm flying.

Locally, I'll drive up and back in the same day if it's 2-3 hours or less.

I drive all over AZ to play golf. 2 hours one way to play with the Tucson boys. For a golf trip.....I used to fly so much for work that all the single trips wore on me. Now the idea of flying with friends to go play golf sounds great. The exception would be a Vegas or San Diego golf trip. that might involve driving.

I just got back from a trip where we flew. We talked about trying to do the next one by road, but it’s a serious commitment from here time-wise. I enjoy both flying and driving for different reasons, so I’ll say mix it up. If it’s within 6 or so hours, I’d drive.

It also depends on the trip. Is the plan to stop at many courses on the way? Maybe then driving would make more sense.

Back