Golf Trip Travel: Driving vs Flying

What is the longest you would go for driving? 6 hours or longer? I like to drive on road trips. If you had a couple buddies with you it would make a longer drive doable.

It depends, are they marmill Saturday MC drunk or Sunday afternoon MC drunk? :LOL:

I have only driven more than 3 hours for golf once or twice in the last 20 years. Most of my out of state golf is in Florida and although I made the drive many times in my youth, I'm not likely to drive the 1,741 miles south unless I was moving a car there for the winter.

@OITW which would you prefer haha. Just remembered getting called out for my Manhattan in a martini glass Saturday... Ill remember to get it in an old fashioned glass if we get a road trip going!

Not to many golf destinations within the 10-12 hours that I'd be willing to drive. So I'm stuck flying.

I prefer driving if possible. Logistically easier and I have friends who don’t like to travel too far to play. I can make it anywhere in New England and down to Myrtle in under 10 hours. That said, I am absolutely unopposed to some destination golf via flight.

Drive 100% of the time. I used to drive for a living and it's still something that I love to do. I've never had a good baggage experience flying with any kind of equipment.

I’m fine with both , enjoy flying as much as driving.

I like to live by the principle that if it is over 3-4 hours of driving, you fly. This assumes close proximity to an airport and direct flights only.

I’ve done a 5-6 hour drive probably a 100 times in my life so far so I’m familiar with going straight through and not needing to stop. That’s probably my cutoff unless there is a time crunch then I’d just pony the $ and fly. Haven’t flown with clubs much so never had to deal with any issues with items in the bag but that’s a nice perk with driving.

If I'm going on a trip to play golf, that means I'm not working, which means I'm on vacation, which means I don't want to work. That includes driving there if it's more than a few hours. I'll fly and let someone else do the work while I relax and do something more fun.

Did you fly or drive to Payne's Valley?
Neither. We cancelled. Boo.
Ahh dangit. I'd been wondering if you had a good time here but knew the weather wasn't all that good that weekend. We had 3 foursomes booked at Payne's Valley two days after you were supposed to play it and we were cancelled the night before(n) Golf course just took on too much rain.

As for thread topic I much prefer to drive if inside 8 hours.

Back