Golf will No Longer Accept Call in or Email Input

They should go back and give Lexi the trophy!

Thank goodness.

What am I supposed to do with my life now?

So long overdue!!

Fantastic, they shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

Good. That was some BS!!

Hate it, it just opens the door for players to claim ignorance like Lexi and get away with it.

The best way to avoid the call-in infraction is to simply follow the rules.

Golf is like no other sport, it's unique, so all these people crying about it being the same as others are way off IMO.

But I'm alone on this, most people think it's the way to go so it is the right thing to do, but I disagree with it.

Thank goodness. It's time!

personally, I'm disappointed.... I was hoping that the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL would adopt such a system to keep players honest.... I was hoping I could dial into a couple NFL games yesterday and call penalties I saw which weren't called :angry:

Never understood this rule in the first place, but glad its gone!

Glad this is finally happening.

Better late than never!

Can’t believe it’s taken this long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About time.

Hate it, it just opens the door for players to claim ignorance like Lexi and get away with it.

Golf is like no other sport, it's unique, so all these people crying about it being the same as others are way off IMO.

But I'm alone on this, most people think it's the way to go so it is the right thing to do, but I disagree with it.

The problem is only about 14 people on a day have tv coverage so Yahweh are under more scrutiny than the rest of the field. It's up to the player and their playing partner(s) to protect the field. If they want to use tv coverage for video confirmation on a rules question I'm ok with that but it should be something that a player is sky about and not some one at home trying to influence a tournament.

So I would consider us, THP, as being some of the most educated golf fans out there. That being said, did anyone ever figure out how you could actually call the USGA and get an audience with a rules official during a tournament?

The problem is only about 14 people on a day have tv coverage so Yahweh are under more scrutiny than the rest of the field. It's up to the player and their playing partner(s) to protect the field. If they want to use tv coverage for video confirmation on a rules question I'm ok with that but it should be something that a player is sky about and not some one at home trying to influence a tournament.

I said it as well, but emart gives the same point - that not every player is on TV so it is not a level playing field. If every single shot of every player was shown from an angle that made it obvious there was an infraction then fair enough, but it isn't and therefore I don't agree with people being able to do this

What happens if someone has a bet on a particular event and scours the footage looking for something to try and influence the result? Or has a distinct hatred for a particular player (which we all know happens even from comments on this forum) and trys to ruin an event for them

So I would consider us, THP, as being some of the most educated golf fans out there. That being said, did anyone ever figure out how you could actually call the USGA and get an audience with a rules official during a tournament?

I still don't think it ever happened. I think the officials just used it as a way reflect the blame for enforcing something away from themselves. Who has access to golf officials on a Sunday afternoon? Just does not seem plausible to me.

I'm shocked that the USGA has made a common sense decision and they are implementing it without waiting 18 months. I sure hope this is a trend for them!

I still say we should shame the person who blew the whistle on Lexi.

It was not just TV that can be called in, fans on the field watching players could call in infractions as well, so those players not on TV were watched a bit.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens now, because fans can still post infractions for the world to see, I wonder if players will start to cheat more often knowing the stakes and how they can get away with it if no officials are around.

I also find it interesting that this all came about because of Lexi- who some think cheated, some feel she knew that she moved the ball- from an LPGA event, which many of us enjoy but let's face it, it's just the LPGA, not all that popular, but yet after a real honest mistake by Tiger Woods at a major event that was called in they never came close to changing this rule, I guess people just feel bad for the girl and not the guy.

When I first learned that they even took such calls, I found it laughable and demeaning to the PGA Tour from a respect standpoint.

Successes, mistakes, rulings, justified or in error should all stay inside the ropes as it does with all other major competitive sports. Prior, it was as if viewers were deputized to police an event. Tantamount to the PGA admitting they were incapable to effectively do so on their own.

They are incapable, unless they have cameras and officials on every stroke, who wants that?

This is golf, not football, it's different.

And there seems to be this implication that fans "policing" in the past were catching infractions that shouldn't be, as if the player is doing nothing wrong and the call in was just being picky about the rules. That's dumb.

Responsibilty shifts (as it should be) to the paid officials and other players to protect the field. It's big money now one stroke more. Especially the guys that aren't on camera and are down the list and just trying to make the cut, finish high enough get more sponsor's exemptions etc.

I read recently (I think it was after the Lexi incident ) that marking a ball 1/4 to 1/2 inch differently for presumed advantage was common knowledge to be practiced by some players on the tours. Why aren't other players calling them on it?

They are incapable, unless they have cameras and officials on every stroke, who wants that?

This is golf, not football, it's different.

And there seems to be this implication that fans "policing" in the past were catching infractions that shouldn't be, as if the player is doing nothing wrong and the call in was just being picky about the rules. That's dumb.
SMH_definition.jpg

Back