Reaction score
Handicap
The stay-at-home order here in IL initially allowed golf courses to remain open with appropriate social distancing measures, but on the 26th the order was amended and golf courses were closed.

I played on the 19th but haven’t played since. When the weather is warm I’m either on the course or the range 5 days a week, and now - zip, nada, nuthin’. As of now the order extends thru April 30, another full month, and I would not be shocked to see it run through May.

First world problem, I know... we have plenty of food, no one is sick (knock wood) in our home and I still have my job (knock wood again) but damn, it sucks not getting out on the links. I wonder if my neighbors would get pissed if I chipped the ball from one yard to the next... hmmmm... our cul de sac actually frames up a decent little par 3 if my neighbor down at the end puts a flag in his yard...

The stay-at-home order here in IL initially allowed golf courses to remain open with appropriate social distancing measures, but on the 26th the order was amended and golf courses were closed.

I played on the 19th but haven’t played since. When the weather is warm I’m either on the course or the range 5 days a week, and now - zip, nada, nuthin’. As of now the order extends thru April 30, another full month, and I would not be shocked to see it run through May.

First world problem, I know... we have plenty of food, no one is sick (knock wood) in our home and I still have my job (knock wood again) but damn, it sucks not getting out on the links. I wonder if my neighbors would get pissed if I chipped the ball from one yard to the next... hmmmm... our cul de sac actually frames up a decent little par 3 if my neighbor down at the end puts a flag in his yard...

I think you need to get everyones email in your neighborhood and send out a message titled: URGENT. This will get their attention, and then you can proceed to explain how much golf means to you and that you are going insane. The next step will be having the course drawn out and let the neighbors know the role they will have in one of the greatest courses ever designed during a shelter in that we are having. If they allow you to use their yards, they get free green fees.

I think you need to get everyones email in your neighborhood and send out a message titled: URGENT. This will get their attention, and then you can proceed to explain how much golf means to you and that you are going insane. The next step will be having the course drawn out and let the neighbors know the role they will have in one of the greatest courses ever designed during a shelter in that we are having. If they allow you to use their yards, they get free green fees.

We started a neighborhood Facebook group to watch out for each other and stay connected. Maybe I’ll grab the Google Earth image of the neighborhood, layout a couple holes on it and post it there. My neighbor on my left is a golfer; I’ll bet he’ll support it haha

I'd back ya on that.

I'm still playing albeit far less than normally. I'm trying to use the downtime to kick start my running habit again.

We started a neighborhood Facebook group to watch out for each other and stay connected. Maybe I’ll grab the Google Earth image of the neighborhood, layout a couple holes on it and post it there. My neighbor on my left is a golfer; I’ll bet he’ll support it haha

Haha that would actually be hilarious. I am sure the community would get a kick out of it. Comic relief in these overall depressing times. Put it up to a vote!

Haha that would actually be hilarious. I am sure the community would get a kick out of it. Comic relief in these overall depressing times. Put it up to a vote!

Why do people always assume we're just trying to be funny when we suggest stuff like this?

Why do people always assume we're just trying to be funny when we suggest stuff like this?

Ha! It's one of those things where you say, "I'm just kidding..but seriously though, we are breaking ground this afternoon.. Please remove all toys and other items from your yard" :ROFLMAO:

That would be epic to have a couple holes in your lawns!

There's a couple houses in town that have their own par 3, one have 2 for a back n forth, and a couple tee boxes for each.. I knew we should have made friends with them

Ha! It's one of those things where you say, "I'm just kidding..but seriously though, we are breaking ground this afternoon.. Please remove all toys and other items from your yard" :ROFLMAO:

Exactly. Can't say you didn't warn them...

Love your idea but you're in Illinois. They'd probably demand thousands in tax revenue every month;)

As for options, I know some near you are driving over to play in MO (out past STL). My SIL's dad (Troy IL) was supposed to play somewhere in MO this morning but that might've been preempted by rain? We're also bouncing around me driving up part way to meet them one day. If I come maybe 2.5 hrs that way it would be just about an hour from where you're at. If there's a spot in the foursome I'll PM you to see if you'd want to join us. You mentioned that you're still working(y). My SIL and his dad are both flexible working from home. Are you free weekends only or flexible with some advanced notice?

For golf, this is a good opportunity to work on technique improvement. Grip-posture-alignment practice in the backyard and, or, in front of a mirror etc....

I have played one round two weeks ago since coming back from California in early March. I am hitting balls at the closed range near me and shagging them but Massachusetts is now locked down through early May. I am not sure I am going to make it.

Last edited:
I am in Illinois also. I have been lucky enough to at least be able to hit a few shots. I don't have any close neighbors and my side yard is big enough to safely hit a full gap wedge or work on a little knock down pitching wedge. I can also hit full swing shots w/ my driver out into my lake....kinda tough on ball supply but I live on a course and my wife finds tons of shag balls. It does suck having a golf hole like 50 yards from your front door and not being able to play! I have also been working on chipping in the side yard and putting alignment w/ a putting mirror in the basement. I was going to order a indoor putting mat since I could use one in the winter anyway but the one I wanted would probably be close to a month before it arrives anyway.

For golf, this is a good opportunity to work on technique improvement. Grip-posture-alignment practice in the backyard and, or, in front of a mirror etc....
While always true, that's what half the country has been working on (or only able to work on) for the last 5 months already. Like those in IL.

I like the idea of a neighborhood 3 hole setup or something. I know people here with the space have been doing temporary setups in fields and one of my buddies set up a little 4-hole course in his backyard for him and his girls to play around on. Gotta do something to scratch the itch and have a little fun!

Did anyone see that golf digest put out an article and MAP displaying our particular kind of suffering? Hope it's alright to post the link. Doesn't feel like we compete with them.

As long as you don't chip out of their yard and tear up their lawn should be good to go. :)

While always true, that's what half the country has been working on (or only able to work on) for the last 5 months already. Like those in IL.

You are a scratch skill level player ?

Golf is honestly the last thing on my mind right now. My last round was almost a month ago and I just have no desire to play. Homeschooling 3 kids under 9 and attempting to do my part to not spread this virus keeps me away. I’ve kept myself busy with home projects.

For me, golf just isn’t important right now. I’ve had 2 tournaments cancelled already and I’m actually glad.

Played last Sunday in Delaware - since all PA courses are closed - for the first round of the year. I was going to make the trip down again this weekend, but now cops can pull you over in DE for just having out of state plates...so my playing days are on pause for the foreseeable future.

I've been working on my short game chipping over my driveway, but a shot with anything lower lofted than a 58* are on hold. Looking at investing in a net and potentially a Flight Scope Mevo for the time being since there's no end in sight. My guess is courses won't be fully operationally till June.

I’ve hit quite a bit in my backyard with a net but I don’t have a launch monitor so it’s hard to keep at it when you have no idea where the ball is going.

Luckily I got to play yesterday as A few of the CT courses are still allowing play.

This feels random with the potential to take an odd turn, but yes.

So you know the relevance of technique, it's become instinctual for you. All legitimate scratch skill level players know the value of constantly rehearsing their technique, and if shot making starts to flounder they go back to practicing and rehearsing the technique factors which made them successful players.
But 99% of the golf population is out there shooting score of 90 or worse. They don't know what they're doing and are usually grasping at straws such as quick fix tips or new equipment, neither of which helps at all towards building the technique foundation which will lead to consistently good golf.
So , the current worldwide shut down, just like seasonal areas annual golf shut down, is an excellent opportunity to learn and practice fundamentally sound technique. Nicklaus credited his Ohio upbringing with giving him the annual opportunity each winter to focus on technique (without the distraction of playing golf courses).

With every day gone not playing, this scenario becomes a greater and greater risk:
27089803-33A7-4DF5-944F-DA00BAD16267.gif

That would be epic to have a couple holes in your lawns!

There's a couple houses in town that have their own par 3, one have 2 for a back n forth, and a couple tee boxes for each.. I knew we should have made friends with them

I'm on about a third of an acre... I could conceivably hit chip and pitch shots out back, as long as I don't shank it, ha.

Haven’t played a round since October. The withdrawal is real. Especially since we finally got an early spring and we can’t take advantage of it. Absolutely sucks.

Back