Golfball longevity

aknow

Reaction score
Handicap
How long does a new pro level ball last? Has anyone ever objectively studied this, without a prejudice toward a particular brand? For example, how many months/years sitting on the shelf before a noticeable loss in distance, green action?
Responses appreciated.

Dunno, they don't last long enough in my bag to know :ROFLMAO:

I've seen, at least on the indoor sim forums, that after a few hundred hits, they start to lose spin... I've cracked a few in sims if they've been used regularly for a year or so

Not sure but the DSG up here has 2018 balls on the shelf still, for full retail! 🙄

I saw an online video comparing a brand new Titleist ProV 1 made in 2000 compared to a new ProV 1 and on the GC Quad. The old one was only 2 yards shorter with 200 rpms less spin than the new one. Doesn‘t look like the ball lost much over 20 years of sitting in a box.

I hope not....typically I have enough golf balls in my closest to last me several years/seasons. Gotta jump on a hot deal when you see it. :)

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are we talking about buying balls that have sat on shelves for years? I can't imagine the ball goes bad if kept in a controlled environment

My favorite ball is the Srixon Z-Star XV. It is significantly more durable than many premium balls.

I've plenty of balls, new and old, that are in the 12+ years old range. Played them here and there, yardages seem very similar.

The used balls need to be checked though as I found recently (through using Skytrak) one of my Taylormade TP Red LDP balls was dead.

Zero visible issues but it was an amazing 20 to 30 yards shorter off of just 8-iron. Even the bounce test off the basement's concrete floor showed significant decrease compared to other balls as it only reached maybe 2/3 the height of the others.

Cut it open and the core was flaky, pieces fairly easily scraped off with my finger.

That being the exception (I hope), probably a water ball. I bought some used back in 2010. And then, a couple years ago, more used from England (can ya tell that in love that ball?).

Particularly with that recent purchase, if a water ball, there's no telling how long it was submerged.

I have a net in my basement. I will use one brand new ProV until it dies. After about 1000 hits, the cover is in bad shape. After approx 2000 hits, the cover will crack and it is dead.

Now go to real life; i have played 4 rounds with the same ball. Cover is in very bad shape. The dirt/sand added into the strikes (not counting rock/cartpath/tree impacts) really chews it up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 holes. Teed up a brand new one on 18th today. Hit a perfect drive but it caught a branch overhanging the fairway about 180 yds out.. The fairway. I have no clue where it went. It was my best shot the entire day. I just drove to the parking lot.

Thank you very much for the appropriate responses. This helps.

I don't play more than two rounds with the same ball. However, I play "adventurous" golf sometimes. May hit a tree or two, throw in a cart path every now and then, the other day I hit the cart exit post off my drive, etc.

Back