golfballs.com queston

pilot25

Reaction score
Handicap
The idea of getting, on a ball, what golfballs.com does is compelling. Does anyone know if it affects the performance of the ball. Doesn't look like its just a ink job but looks like a professional coating.

It shouldn’t.

It shouldn’t.

I wonder if the titleist custom balls are printed during the time when the logo and numbers are put on vs golfballs.com being after manufacturing. i know inking up a ball is no big deal but to add to the coating to make a nice custom glossy print, I'm not so sure.

I wonder if the titleist custom balls are printed during the time when the logo and numbers are put on vs golfballs.com being after manufacturing. i know inking up a ball is no big deal but to add to the coating to make a nice custom glossy print, I'm not so sure.

If you are unsure, its very easy to test. Grab a launch monitor and hit some short controlled chips. If no access is there, go to a golf store that has them and use your own balls. You will see the numbers and can compare. If you have access, you can do this on the course as well with longer clubs. We have done this many times at THP as each of our writers is equipped with a launch monitor and we use the GC Quad in our office.

I've bought some custom stuff there before and I didn't see a difference playing a regular ball or a customized ball.

The alignment stuff and the custom logos can wear off after awhile, so caveat emptor on that part..

The alignment stuff and the custom logos can wear off after awhile, so caveat emptor on that part..

I guess it, obviously, cannot be baked into the cover like Titleist would do it with their custom logos.

I don't even know why I would even think about it. Ball is going into the woods fairly quickly anyway.

As others have said, it is a professionally printed ink stamping. Not under the clearcoat like a factory personalization (at least Titleist's factory personalization).

So the good news is it can't possibly affect the performance of the ball in any way. The bad news is, it's just ink on top of the clearcoat.

No experience with exactly how GB.com does it but a year ago I took advantage of one of the offers for free customization from a major OEM; (buy 3 dozen get 4 dozen free customization). I think they just printed the text over the clear coat because it was in no way at all durable. First round with the new balls and I notice 2/3 of my custom text was already missing when I teed it up on the 7th hole. Found most of the missing text stuck to the face of my 8 iron, I had hit that club just once, approach to hole #5. Played the rest of the round with another ball from that offer and all but one letter of my customization was still on the ball at the end. Disappointing, especially because I planned to give half the balls to my little brother as a gift (we share the same 1st initial). Hopefully the GB.com process is of better quality.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'll be sticking to drawing a line on it.

I personally had no issues with the personalization I received from golfballs.com. However, I didn't test the balls on trackman, GC quad, or the like.

-Bishop

Side note: I'm using a stash of QStar Tour from golfballs.com with my given name stamped in red. A week or so ago I didn't quite carry a hazard. My friend, who is amazing finding "lost" balls, found the original after I had already hit my penalty shot. He asked "are you playing Srixon?". I said "yes, with my name on it in red." He then commented that I didn't have any dots etc. on it for identification.

So I guess personalization isn't foolproof. lol

if a tiny sticker like Golfdotz is USGA compliant, a little bit of printed ink should be a non issue.

edit: I guess golfdotz aren't really a sticker but it is a transferrable ink. Same concept I guess as ball customization.

Back