syndicate559

Sweet Trajectory
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.6
For the past few months, I've had a worsening condition in my right elbow. It's on the inside (whereas tennis elbow is on the outside to my knowledge) right on the pointy part of the elbow and the pain will extend into the forearm at times. I'm pretty sure golf is what caused it and that's definitely when it flares up and hurts the most. Basically, from the first swing on, my arm is killing me. OTC pain killers and ice have had some effect, but not much. I've checked out articles and watched videos that give treatment advice (including some massage techniques). I even went through a stretch where I only picked my clubs up once in a 5-week span, but even the rest didn't make a difference. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it's certainly not better. What really sucks is I've lost at least a full club of distance just from being weaker in that arm and not able to swing as hard and the soreness and stiffness during a round is causing me a lot of trouble at times.

Has anyone dealt with this in the past? If so, were you able to conquer it without major medical intervention? I've been reluctant to go to the doctor, because I don't want to be told not to play golf. But I'm starting to think maybe I should so I can get a cortisone shot or something. Any input from those with a similar experience would be hugely appreciated.

I had something similar and it may be what you are referring to however I never got a medical confirmation. All I know is it was a pain in the arse er enter side of the elbow and hurt for like two or three weeks. I took ibuprofen and iced it down in the evenings and it finally went away on it's own. Good luck buddy as it's a very uncomfortable ailment to deal with!

I also just recently had something like this for the first time ever. It was exactly as you described and in the same spot. I just tried to rest it and got one of those arm bands for tennis elbow and positioned it a bit lower. Worked like a charm and allowed me to actually still hit balls.

I am dealing with it right now and I am using a theraband and something called the tyler twist. It has worked well so far and has definitely made my elbow less painful. What it does is provide eccentric exercises to lengthen the muscle.

I had a similar condition last year. I assumed it was golfer's elbow and tried to treat it myself, but as soon as I'd start swinging a club again the pain would return. I finally went to an orthopedist, and it turned out that I had a bone spur that was impinging the tricep tendon. No amount of physical therapy or exercises was ever going to improve it. So I had surgery to remove the bone spur - very easy recovery, and I haven't had a bit of trouble with the elbow since.

Good luck

I went through it a couple of years ago and mine was bad enough that I actually quit playing for the rest of the summer on my own. My son was playing golf with all of MY buddies!! He can beat most of us anyway. I did the stretches on youtube that you can find, went to a chiropractor and he did the muscle pulse thing and some stretches and we did some accupuncture and it got better quickly!! Good luck because it does suck.

I've been fighting something similar all year and finally sought treatment. I was managing it with a tennis elbow brace and pain meds before a round, but recently had some active release technique treatments and so far have been pain free. ART is basically targeted deep tissue massage focusing on removing scar tissue from over use. Got one more treatment in a few weeks, but three rounds in and no pain so I'm pretty happy.

I am dealing with it right now and I am using a theraband and something called the tyler twist. It has worked well so far and has definitely made my elbow less painful. What it does is provide eccentric exercises to lengthen the muscle.

Interesting. Which band (tension) are you using and how did you go about deciding which was the correct one for your needs?

I've been fighting something similar all year and finally sought treatment. I was managing it with a tennis elbow brace and pain meds before a round, but recently had some active release technique treatments and so far have been pain free. ART is basically targeted deep tissue massage focusing on removing scar tissue from over use. Got one more treatment in a few weeks, but three rounds in and no pain so I'm pretty happy.

sounds like another interesting option to look into. See, I knew it would be a good idea to bring it up here!

I've been through it too and it's been over a year and it still bothers me from time to time, the worst nagging injury I've ever had. My doc said to lay off for a few months when it happened and naturally I thought I knew better than he did and just tore it up even worse, take a little time and let it heal up, it will heal quicker and better in the long run.

I had tennis elbow for a while before I fixed my swing up and when it would bother me my chiropractor would do some stretching of the tendons the hurt like heck when he was doing it but along with using ice the relief was complete in a few weeks.
I imagine the same would apply to golfers elbow.

I also just recently had something like this for the first time ever. It was exactly as you described and in the same spot. I just tried to rest it and got one of those arm bands for tennis elbow and positioned it a bit lower. Worked like a charm and allowed me to actually still hit balls.

I ordered one of those today and I'm hoping it provides some significant help.

I ordered one of those today and I'm hoping it provides some significant help.
Its surprisingly how much pain it took away for me. I could swing freely and its almost as if my elbow felt fine, then bam I'd take it off and instantly be reminded its still there haha fantastic little things.

Another vote for the theraband. I also switched to graphite shafts in my irons.

I have through a bout with it, and do some flare ups from time to time because of golf and the workouts I do. The Thera-band bar and brace are a good start. I also had a chiropractor do a Graston technique on to break up the scar tissue that had built up. This seemed to help almost immediately. Good luck with it!

Interesting. Which band (tension) are you using and how did you go about deciding which was the correct one for your needs?

I ended up getting the green and the blue. I have been using the green one. Just decided the red was too light

I went through this last year and ended up having a cortisone injection...somewhat uncomfortable and physiotherapy....it worked but I needed to rest it to let the cortisone do its thing. Rest ICE and physio my friend I am afraid...good luck

Eddie
I was dealing with something similar last year for me it just took a few weeks of rest and making sure i streched it out prior to start of a round and ice after the round

I went through this last year and ended up having a cortisone injection...somewhat uncomfortable and physiotherapy....it worked but I needed to rest it to let the cortisone do its thing. Rest ICE and physio my friend I am afraid...good luck

I had the same but my Dr. also gave me a prescription for Voltaren gel and it really works. I even cheat every now and then and will use it on my knees if they start to ache a little bit. I hate taking pills even OTC stuff so this being a topical was a huge plus for me.

Golfers elbow...

So, the last few weeks, I have had pain in my back elbow, ranging from pretty significant, to relatively mild.
It progressed over the last few weeks, to when I turn my hand my elbow pops, not usually any pain associated with the popping but concerned me.

So, Off to the doctor I go.... He tells me I have "Golfers Elbow" which basically is a tendon strain.
I was told to start an anti-inflammatory regime, Ice, Rest, and more than likely the discomfort will subside.

I was further told as long as I dont play 6 rounds per week, But one or two in the weekend I shouldn't do any further damage.

Has anyone ever dealt with this?

It is a little disheartening listening to my elbow crack anytime I move my hand.

Yes, definitely. RICE worked for me. Just let it calm down to the point of not having pain then ease your way back into golf. Your body will tell you what you can and can't do.

Looks like alot of us have similar issue and either self medicate and some are smart enough to get treatment. I have been using the KT tape(similar to what Michelle Wie uses on her legs). Depending on whcih one you get prices ranges from $14-20. Their website has instructions on how to use. I use the tape when i play and sometimes during the week when i am not practicing/playing. That along with ibuprofen keeps the pain minimal to non existent.

The problem I had may not be the same as your problem, but I'll chime in anyway.

I play a lot of golf, and, several years ago, my left elbow (I play right handed) and the area below it started bothering me and kept bothering me. I tried sleeves, bands, etc., but what finally 'cured' the problem was switching to graphite shafts in my irons.

...Has anyone dealt with this in the past? If so, were you able to conquer it without major medical intervention?

I should update my situation as well. Since making the original post, I got one of the tennis elbow bands (Band-It) and have been using that as close to the tip of the elbow as possible. It helps a TON with pain while on the course. The pressure it puts on the tendons really allows the muscles to relax. Aleve continues to help. It still hurts after I play, but not as much the next day. I saw my chiropractor last week, due to my neck and lower back being really out of whack, but since others had mentioned it here, I asked him about it. He did some stuff with my wrist and checked various things. Basically, gave my arm/elbow and adjustment and it helped a lot. Of course, after playing over the weekend and a little this week since the visit, the pain has kind of gone back to where it was, but at least I've found some different ways to get relief.

CJ, I haven't had any popping in my elbow, but definitely a lot of pain.

Back