Golfing In The Fall

Love the cooler temps, but frost delays are the worst!

I enjoy the cooler temperatures and I am less likely to sweat during the round. I dislike the extra leaves all over the place and if possible will try to play courses that are a little more open. I joke with my friends that each time we play in that weather I am going to bring my leaf blower, but can't bring myself to do it!

I like how the greens can get faster and the overall course conditions improve. I used to like the cooler weather but
not as much anymore.

I hate aerated greens, won't play on them. Looking for balls in the leaves sucks too.

When I was young I couldn't wait for fall golf. The older I get, the warmer I want(need) it to be.

I enjoy the cooler temperatures and I am less likely to sweat during the round. I dislike the extra leaves all over the place and if possible will try to play courses that are a little more open. I joke with my friends that each time we play in that weather I am going to bring my leaf blower, but can't bring myself to do it!

I'm sure the course would frown on that.

I sweat like a priest at choir practice :ROFLMAO:

A bit off topic. Do any of you switch to a lower compression ball for cooler temps?
I’m seeing more “soft” balls with vivid matte colors. Thinking about trying one.
People do this but i never understood it. Imo you should play the same ball with the exception of being concerned for losing a lot of them in the leaves and therefore may want to use a cheaper option. As for compression? Imo if you need and benefit from using a softer ball in the cooler weather then you also need one in the warmer weather.

For me I play chromesoft and use to play e6. Either way are both softer core balls anyway. But I have seen nor can find any real proof that intentionally using softer ball in the cold is more beneficial nor that it doesnt lose as much (relatively speaking) distance as its harder cousins because either ball get cold and are affected the same anyway. Plus (by changing balls) your changing the characteristics of the ball you normally play. Imo you shouldn't do this just because its cold out. There is no hard factual evidence (that i know of) on any of this theory that we should change to lower compression. It seems more a placebo affect than anything else. If you truly beleive you benefit from a softer ball in the cold, then you should also benefit in the warm too. Unless there is factual proof otherwise (which i do not yet know about).

Absolutely love golfing in the fall. The biggest negative to me is that the sun goes down too early!!!

I love the scenery, especially at my home course with various coloured trees, but the downside is when those leaves start to drop and you can have problems finding your ball in the fairway or rough

Definitely the leaves, and it’s already starting.

Love the weather but I hate the guy dragging the huge leaf blower around the fairways. I guess I will follow him in search of all the lost balls :p

I find the best part of it is, the courses around here aren't as busy, the worst is, with midwest weather the cold and wind can come out of nowhere while you're out there playing!

Absolutely love Fall golf in my area. Yea sometimes the leaves are a pain but a good tradeoff with cooler temps (I somehow play better in pants, no idea why, maybe cuz I'm not focused on my boney surgically repaired knees?!) Hard to get 18 in after work with it getting darker out but I can blow off an afternoon at work and get home by dinner. Enjoy! :cool:

One of my courses has a lot of wild turkeys... Those things are vicious, if you hit your ball by them better off just dropping a new one

I love the weather, but it’s so hard looking for balls. Also hate when the greens have leaves on them. I actually bring a small ridgid cordless blower with me to clear a lane for my ball if the green has crap on it.

I am looking forward to playing just about every weekend here in Dallas area this fall. Several species of our trees in the area may don't lose leaves until late in winter, so shuldn't make things too bad if looking for balls.

Not many times that it gets too cold to be outdoors for a spell. :golf:

I enjoy the cooler temps, but hate trying to find my ball under one of the many stray leaves.

Love the cool weather of the fall, and not sweating on the course :cool:

Not a fan of having to find my ball in the leaves, and the early sunset which limits late afternoon/twilight rounds.

Depending on where you are at here in Utah it can go from Summer to Winter within a week! But on the occasion that we get a nice Fall, I'm in line with everyone else....looking for a ball in the leaves is the worst!

I love the fall golf. I'm heading up to the cabin Friday morning for a boys golf weekend with 3 buddies. We'll play 72+ holes in 3 days and the weather looks perfect with mid 70's. Here are a few pics from a couple of years ago of the same fall golf trip. The second and third pictures are of the 223 yard (246 from the back tees) par 3 15th where the guy in the American shorts made a HIO the first time he played that hole 12 years ago.

rView attachment 8908526View attachment 8908527View attachment 8908528 some pictures
Haha I only saw the last picture and I thought that was John Daly!

My option is that fall or spring is the best time to golf. My home course does a good job of keeping the leaves cleaned up and for the most part it is out of the wind. So you have the cool morning and it not be blazing hot before you finish your round.

People do this but i never understood it. Imo you should play the same ball with the exception of being concerned for losing a lot of them in the leaves and therefore may want to use a cheaper option. As for compression? Imo if you need and benefit from using a softer ball in the cooler weather then you also need one in the warmer weather.

For me I play chromesoft and use to play e6. Either way are both softer core balls anyway. But I have seen nor can find any real proof that intentionally using softer ball in the cold is more beneficial nor that it doesnt lose as much (relatively speaking) distance as its harder cousins because either ball get cold and are affected the same anyway. Plus (by changing balls) your changing the characteristics of the ball you normally play. Imo you shouldn't do this just because its cold out. There is no hard factual evidence (that i know of) on any of this theory that we should change to lower compression. It seems more a placebo affect than anything else. If you truly beleive you benefit from a softer ball in the cold, then you should also benefit in the warm too. Unless there is factual proof otherwise (which i do not yet know about).

My instinct is to play the same ball. Thanks for your thoughts.

I actually enjoy walking 9-hole rounds in the fall when the weather is cooler. Some of the courses that I play have quite a long walk between holes. The heat has been brutal here in the south for most of September so a cool-down will be a welcome change.

I love fall golf. I prefer the moderate temps and it's not nearly as windy up here in the fall as it is in the spring and early summer. Also, our club does a pretty good job of blowing the leaves off the fairways and greens.

fall golf for me means losing balls under leaves, hitting out of puddles, and plugging balls into greens

The best thing, fall weather.

The worse thing. fall weather.

Fall weather here can be so perfect. 15C with the sun out, no humidity, and a slight breeze.

It can also be -3, snowing, and blowing 80kph.

Back