Golfing with Pigeon Toes

interlooper

Wishing I was golfing now
Reaction score
Handicap
Shout out to all you pigeon-toed golfers! You got it: I am slightly pigeon-toed. It is not really all that noticeable, unless I had a few to drink or am really tired. Nonetheless, I am wondering what, if anything, other pigeon-toed players change in their swing? I make a few slight adjustments, which I can detail later.

Also, do you think that being pigeon-toed gives you an advantage or otherwise helps with your swing? More balance? More leverage? As you likely know, MANY of the greatest athletes ever are pigeon toed (e.g., Jordan, Manning, Kobe Bryant). And many of the fastest sprinters ever have been pigeon toed.

Pigeon toed, yes. Advantage in golf, no. Messes with aim, follow-through and balance on the swing.

Setup finally started working when I toed out slightly... Really helps cut down the slices.

Pigeon toed, yes. Advantage in golf, no. Messes with aim, follow-through and balance on the swing.

Setup finally started working when I toed out slightly... Really helps cut down the slices.

With setup, I found that flaring out my back foot caused way too many problems. If I were to get in an athletic stance in bball or soccer, my feet would be square (or even slightly in). If I flar my back foot out, against my natural athletic stance, my knees will be even more flared out. Hard for me to post up on the back leg like that.

I only flare (though that's an overstatement) mine from abt 12 o'clock to 11 o'clock. It doesn't stress my knees at all. If I go any further it's very uncomfortable.

There are different degrees of pitgeon-toedness, of course, and my left foot is pretty bad. I have fought teachers for years who want me to flare out my left foot for woods and long irons. If my left foot is square, it actually IS flared open. I've got all the hip movement I need at that point. I usually line up with both of my feet perpendicular to the target line, and that works pretty well for me. But, once I have set up, and shft my weight around a little, and my right foot has a mind of its own. I never know what position it is in.

I don't think being pigeon toed is either an advantage or a disadvantage in golf. But then, I don't know how to golf any other way.

There are different degrees of pitgeon-toedness, of course, and my left foot is pretty bad. I have fought teachers for years who want me to flare out my left foot for woods and long irons. If my left foot is square, it actually IS flared open. I've got all the hip movement I need at that point. I usually line up with both of my feet perpendicular to the target line, and that works pretty well for me. But, once I have set up, and shft my weight around a little, and my right foot has a mind of its own. I never know what position it is in.

I don't think being pigeon toed is either an advantage or a disadvantage in golf. But then, I don't know how to golf any other way.

Yeah, I flare out my left foot but my right foot is square or even a bit in.

A new word? I like it. I've spent too much time on a horse for that.

Back