GolfTec vs. Golfsmith Fitting?

lemmiwinks

Mark it 8, Dude.
Reaction score
Handicap
I plan on finally getting fit for irons and wedges this off-season and am weighing my options.
My local Golfsmith has GolfTec in it.
They offer a few different fitting services.
A Golfsmith fitting which is $49.99 and the cost is free if I purchase clubs from them.
Then there is a GolfTec fitting for $125.00 but no discount, etc.
I'm not too concerned about the cost not being deducted if it means getting a much more thorough fitting.
Anyone have any experience with either of the services from Golfsmith or GolfTec?

I have a GolfTEC fitting available as part of a lesson plan I bought. I will say that like with any fitting, it depends on who is doing it.

I really like my GolfTEC coach and I'm glad I'm getting lessons from him, but he's a coach, not a club fitter. If I want a serious fitting, I'm going to one of the highly recommended fitters around here.

If you go GolfTec, be prepared for a full court press to sell you lesson packages. In our areA anyway it's over bearing sales push.

GolfTec all day everyday over any box store fitting.

I took my dad in for some numbers and the sales guy just made excuses. I ended up taking over and filling in my dad and the numbers.

I've never had this issue at Golftec.

I've had two fittings at Golftec. Both times he waved the fee when I bought the clubs through him. Both times I had a blast but by this Saturday I will be sporting a little over $2K in clubs when my driver, FW, hyrbid and new wedges come in.

Sounds like GolfTec it is.
I'll be sure to fend off the hard sell on a lessons package.

I didn't get a hard sell on lessons, he's mentioned "getting me in here for some lessons" a couple of times but that was it. I told him I was working with another pro down the road but that I may consider it in the future. Not sure I will do that. My instructor has given me some great advice and when I do it the way he's showed me I hit them well. Golftec may be more technical in their teaching practices than I would be comfortable with.

Through a little research, found this place...http://www.perfectswinggolf.com/site/
that's about an hour from me.
Listed on Golf Digests top 100 fitters.
Think I may take the trip and have it done there

I didn't get a hard sell on lessons, he's mentioned "getting me in here for some lessons" a couple of times but that was it. I told him I was working with another pro down the road but that I may consider it in the future. Not sure I will do that. My instructor has given me some great advice and when I do it the way he's showed me I hit them well. Golftec may be more technical in their teaching practices than I would be comfortable with.
In my experience, it just depends on whether they hook you up to the back harness thing or not. I've only been on it twice in 9 months of lessons. The rest of the time it's just the launch monitor and cameras, both of which are unobtrusive and really helpful--you can see in slow or stop motion what you're doing which IMO makes it a lot easier to fix.

In my experience, it just depends on whether they hook you up to the back harness thing or not. I've only been on it twice in 9 months of lessons. The rest of the time it's just the launch monitor and cameras, both of which are unobtrusive and really helpful--you can see in slow or stop motion what you're doing which IMO makes it a lot easier to fix.

The launch monitor would be nice but my instructor has the camera set up. The part about the camera I don't like is that it makes me look fat.

When I had my last fitting they had that harness thingy on somebody. I thought it was like one of those child leashes to make sure the guy didn't run out before paying.

Between the two, I would definitely say GolfTec. I went through a fitting there a few years ago (thanks to THP) and thought they did a good job. I was able to get a little bit of a price break through them as well on my purchase.

The guy at Golfsmith who tried to fit me had just retired from being a HS teacher & football coach.

Through a little research, found this place...http://www.perfectswinggolf.com/site/
that's about an hour from me.
Listed on Golf Digests top 100 fitters.
Think I may take the trip and have it done there

I think you found your winner there. If you do decide between the other two, I'd go with Golftec hands down over a Golfsmith fitting.

Back