GolfTravelDude Golf Trip Thread

It would be great to hear more details of your 2022 Scotland itinerary @GolfTravelDude - 18 rounds in 16 days sounds amazing…
2022 Scotland is the culmination of cancelled trips of 20/21 and my glutony of reach outs to Clubs with Plan B trips based on my thoughts I'd be going no matter what. So what has come together is a 4some for a week and then 8some for a second week with my THP bud and Dad joining in along the way to expand the 4some. It's quite complicated but really not. In/Out of Edinburgh...Drive up to Dornoch. Play will be Royal Dornoch, Brora, Castle Stuart, Trump, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Panmure, Kingsbarns, Dumbarnie and drop off 3 at airport. Play Elie day before 8 arrive. Then Kingsbarns, Castle, Carnoustie, Leven, New, Kingsbarns, North Berwick. 2nd week is Apt downtown St Andrews. First week we stay at 3 places 2n/3n/2n near play areas. We'll ballot Old for 3 days and some may walk up if motivated to. Final tee times are 17 rounds set up in 16 play days. Actual time is leave a Thu go home Sat two weeks later. Last night at airport hotel for all.

2022 Scotland is the culmination of cancelled trips of 20/21 and my glutony of reach outs to Clubs with Plan B trips based on my thoughts I'd be going no matter what. So what has come together is a 4some for a week and then 8some for a second week with my THP bud and Dad joining in along the way to expand the 4some. It's quite complicated but really not. In/Out of Edinburgh...Drive up to Dornoch. Play will be Royal Dornoch, Brora, Castle Stuart, Trump, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Panmure, Kingsbarns, Dumbarnie and drop off 3 at airport. Play Elie day before 8 arrive. Then Kingsbarns, Castle, Carnoustie, Leven, New, Kingsbarns, North Berwick. 2nd week is Apt downtown St Andrews. First week we stay at 3 places 2n/3n/2n near play areas. We'll ballot Old for 3 days and some may walk up if motivated to. Final tee times are 17 rounds set up in 16 play days. Actual time is leave a Thu go home Sat two weeks later. Last night at airport hotel for all.

Sounds like an awesome trip.

Sounds like an awesome trip.
Trips like this provide motivation for Fatboyslim to be prepared for walking....And having my game in shape also. Have played 11 and 6 will be new. 3 rounds at Kingsbarns is based on every person had to play it. And they offer 2nd round 1/2 price.

Trips like this provide motivation for Fatboyslim to be prepared for walking....And having my game in shape also. Have played 11 and 6 will be new. 3 rounds at Kingsbarns is based on every person had to play it. And they offer 2nd round 1/2 price.

You got around the course fine with me. I have thought about putting 20 pounds in a back pack for when I am out walking the dog to get more used to carrying the golf bag.

That sounds like the perfect holiday, I’m very jealous. I’m part of a group of golfing buddies that talk the talk but won’t commit to something like this, whereas I’d be off exploring every year. I need to take the advice you gave in an earlier post and find some guys/strangers with a similar outlook.
If you get anyone drop out, please consider dropping me a line. I’m 6 hours drive south of St Andrews (central England) but with a 7-seater Range Rover and a trailer I would make a great chauffeur! 😁

You got around the course fine with me. I have thought about putting 20 pounds in a back pack for when I am out walking the dog to get more used to carrying the golf bag.
Good idea with pack back and weights. Actually won't take long to get accustom to the weight.

Rented a condo in Naples February and March. Last year, was able to take advantage of Pacific Links deal via my club membership. Could play "affiliated" clubs for a cart fee, "reciprocal" clubs for 1/2 guest fee. This year, a number of Naples/Ft. Meyers courses either dropped out of the program or will not honor the arrangement during high season, so my options are very limited. (Will not re-up for next year) Few public courses worth playing and have played some semiprivate cubs. The best being those tracks built that will ultimately become private once they are built out. Having stated that, do you have any recommendations, or on how to work a short-term deal with any decent courses in the Naples area? Thanks much!

I'm not surprised by your dilemma. And I don't mean that negatively. Naples is a tough area. Most everything is private. And Feb/Mar is their prime time. I have two buds that live in the area who have always been my entry to play at this time. A few of the public options are big $. My fallback when in situations like yours if a side deal can't be arranged somewhere. Is Golfnow and Hot Deals last minute. Old Corkscrew if you are at north side of Naples may be an option. But Golfnow always has a decent deal.
Reach out to the clubs you played last year as reciprocal. Maybe one will cut a 2 month deal.

I'm not surprised by your dilemma. And I don't mean that negatively. Naples is a tough area. Most everything is private. And Feb/Mar is their prime time. I have two buds that live in the area who have always been my entry to play at this time. A few of the public options are big $. My fallback when in situations like yours if a side deal can't be arranged somewhere. Is Golfnow and Hot Deals last minute. Old Corkscrew if you are at north side of Naples may be an option. But Golfnow always has a decent deal.
Reach out to the clubs you played last year as reciprocal. Maybe one will cut a 2 month deal.

Thanks for the quick reply... What's the best way to approach a pro or manager of a club for a short term deal? Seems so many of the courses are owned by large corps and the local guys can't/won't? work with an individual.

Thanks for the quick reply... What's the best way to approach a pro or manager of a club for a short term deal? Seems so many of the courses are owned by large corps and the local guys can't/won't? work with an individual.
You played there last year. The hope is you created some relationship with someone. If not, not much hope. It will be the guy you connected with who might do a side deal. It has to be face to face.

You played there last year. The hope is you created some relationship with someone. If not, not much hope. It will be the guy you connected with who might do a side deal. It has to be face to face.

Got it. Thanks.

Back