Good 9 hole score?

Jordanb99

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post! Remove if it is.
I started getting into golf about four weeks ago and purchased a cheap £200 set to learn with. I played my first 9 holes three weeks ago on a par 33 and had 59 strokes, last week I was aiming for 50 and ended up on 52 strokes, this week I was aiming to break 50 but I nearly broke 40 and made my first birdie (Played twice today) and I hit 41 Strokes & 43. I watch lots of tutorials and try to teach myself from them but I'm just wondering what I should be hitting at my level? I've only been on a course four times now?

Hi,

I started getting into golf about four weeks ago and purchased a cheap £200 set to learn with. I played my first 9 holes three weeks ago on a par 33 and had 59 strokes, last week I was aiming for 50 and ended up on 52 strokes, this week I was aiming to break 50 but I nearly broke 40 and made my first birdie (Played twice today) and I hit 41 Strokes & 43. I watch lots of tutorials and try to teach myself from them but I'm just wondering what I should be hitting at my level? I've only been on a course four times now?
Welcome to the forum @Jordanb99.

You're off to a great start, IMO. I think many here will suggest lessons from a good professional before poor habits are ingrained, but that's up to you of course. You seem to have some natural ability. Good luck on your journey.

Welcome to the forum @Jordanb99.

You're off to a great start, IMO. I think many here will suggest lessons from a good professional before poor habits are ingrained, but that's up to you of course. You seem to have some natural ability. Good luck on your journey.
Thank you! I was looking at having some lessons soon, there's a golf club 5 minuets from me with Pro Coaches. I love the game and all I want to do is play and I feel better than my friends who have played for some time 😆

Thank you! I was looking at having some lessons soon, there's a golf club 5 minuets from me with Pro Coaches. I love the game and all I want to do is play and I feel better than my friends who have played for some time 😆
:welcome:

Lessons are definitely the way to go. Just remember everything we do is muscle memory. We don’t think about walking we just do it because our muscles have been trained by millions of repetitions. Don’t just take a lesson and go play. Make sure you practice what you have been taught on the range often between lessons. It will take thousands of reps to make it something you don’t have to think about but it is worth it.

Hi,

Hard to know what you should be hitting as golfers are different, but from your post looks like you are doing great for only a short number of rounds! As you play some your scores will stabilize more and you will find what your scoring range is. I think you should make sure your fundamentals are good and that might require some lessons.

My first ever game was a 127 and I did not improve much at all early on. I thought I simply would not be able to play golf at what I felt was reasonable for my age and athletic ability. I stayed above 100 for quite a long time then finally buckled down and got below 100, then below 90 and most of the time now from low 80s to mid 90s depending on the day and the course. I am trying to get below 80, but wow is that hard for me!

You are off to a great start. Obviously, small sample size, but that last round suggests you have real potential. You are going to see some ups and downs on your score as you learn. So don't get discouraged if you score a low number and then can't replicate it for a while. Just keep working at improving your contact and adding to your skill set. All of us have tendencies that are specific to us. Some good, some not so good. Take notice of both and learn how to capitalize on the former and what you need to do to overcome the latter.

Make mental notes during your practice sessions and write down and keep notes what went well and how you did it -- particularly grip, stance, address, head and take away.

Good Golfing ...

Welcome! You are improving rapidly but remember that scores jump up and down. Enjoy yourself.

Yes, find a good instructor where you both communicate well. Ask questions - like "can you show me that and explain as you do?"

wow! a month of golf and 4th round and already playing 42 golf on a 9 (even if par is 33) is just incredible. Basically steps into the game and is flirting in the break 90 camp (or even under 100 camp) . I mean just wow do i suck at this game after decades and countless practice lessons etc....yet still shooting 93 most rounds and yet folks are stepping into the game yesterday and shooting similar. Its incredible how easy this game comes to a special few folks. I mean more power to you for being one the luckier ones. Good luck on your route to single digit world by next spring. Imo when one posses a gift like that hopefully you have the resources to take full advantage of being out there often as possible.

Firstly, welcome to THP!

Sounds like you’ve got some natural ability and with those score so early on you’re doing very well. When I came back to the game, like many others, I struggled to break 100 but practice and repetition helped.

Like @Desmond mentioned, your scores will fluctuate and that’s normal. I continue to push myself and improve while keeping it fun.

I think bogie golf is doing pretty good. So on your par 33, that would be 42. On a full 18 hole par 72 course, 90 is doing good.
Just as a comparison, I have been shooting 34 on my local par 30 nine hole course, but 94 on my par 72, 18 hole course.
One is well under bogie golf, and the other is just over.

Back