Good Lord, Life Knock it Off

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
As anyone who seen my other posts here you’ll know that life has been hard on me lately. Well yesterday afternoon it damn near ended for me.

I was driving home from work and I’ve always had a hard time driving into the sun. Makes me zone out some. Well I totally missed a truck in front of me that has stopped to turn left. First I saw him was as I was about 4ft in front of me. The speedometer on my car was stuck right around 55mph and the Ohio SHP Trooper said there were no brake marks.

Anyways, Kaboom! At first I was unable to breath, I basically broke every bone the seatbelt touched. Left Clavicle, Sternum, and a couple ribs lower right side.

I thought the car was on fire so I was somehow able to kick open the drivers door and fall out as I was in a deep ditch at about a 45* angle. I climbed up about 12ft in the ditch so that I could get on level ground. In the meantime a witness had stopped and called a squad. I asked him to reach into my passenger side floor to grab my phone as it was sitting on the passenger seat at impact (no I was not on it).

I was heading home to be there as my little guy. Was getting off the bus at my house and no one else was going to be there. I called my soon to be ex so she could go over and pick him up.

The ambulance arrived about then and I was able to get into it pretty much unassisted. I was certain my clavicle was broken, it was visible, and I highly suspected that my sternum and ribs were as well.

So I get to the hospital and get thrown into a trauma bay. There were literally 30 doctors, nurses, etc milling around. They take a quick X-ray conforming the bone breaks and rush me of to have a CAT Scan. About that point I started to feel pretty severe stomach pain and knew something was seriously wrong

The CAT Scan confirmed that I had pretty severe internal bleeding. I was rushed into emergency surgery and the next thing i knew I was waking up 14 hours later. Now I was in for the most miserable half hour of my life. The pain med they gave me as I was coming out of anesthesia doesn’t work on me. I had a ventilator in therefore couldn’t talk. They needed me to breathe on my own through it for 30 minutes first. I was tied down and could not communicate with them. I couldn’t breathe at times. The OR folks forgot to communicate to them that that particular pain med doesn’t work on me. So that was fun.

I’ve spent the rest of the day in the ICU. I’m in a ton of pain and I have about 18 inches that were opened up in my stomach. I lost over 25% of my blood so I had to have a transfusion through a wide bore in my groin. I have no idea how long I’m going to be off work. My car is totaled. There is zero chance of it being fixed. I still have full coverage but I won’t get much out of it.Hopefully it’ll at least cover the citation I’m going to be issued. With the wife issue it was going to be tough to keep my house anyways, I’ll almost certainly have to sell now with all the bills for this and all the fact that I’ll only draw half of my salary for many weeks.

Thank god the guy I hit wasn’t hurt. I have a very strong feeling my golf season is over. Anyways life has dealt me a rough hand lately. It’s about time something breaks my way.

? Wow That’s just awful @Smiter thankfully you’re alive! Rest up and get back to 100% dude. One problem at a time.

Thank goodness you are alive and not in worse shape. Reading through your post, it could have been much, much worse. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you make a full recovery as quick as possible

You’re alive and that’s a blessing... Rest up and get well soon...

eb16c75ac76aa1362afc8c5ad2dce872.gif

It might not be going optimal, but at least you made it to fight another day...

Last edited:
Man, that’s a terrible day but you live to fight another day. Rest up and get better - better days are ahead

Glad you are alive. Worldy possesions are replaceable. Lives are not, get well soon sir. We'll all be rooting for you.

Glad you survived Smiter. Positive thoughts to you on your road to recovery. Hopefully this was the end of your bad luck.

Terrible - hope you have a quick recovery!

Smiter you will come out of this funk. Keep fighting!!

Ohh man, I am so sorry I hope you feel better soon!!

That's terrible man! I'm glad you made it through though. Something is bound to go your way eventually. Just keep fighting the good fight and be around for your son. Take it easy & recover quickly. I know I can speak for all of us here .... remember that you've got an entire community here if you ever need to reach out. We are all pulling for you!

Damn. Sorry to hear about the accident, but be thankful you are still alive! Concentrate on recovery...golf isn't going anywhere!!

Get well soon Smiter. Thoughts and prayers heading your way

Wow man, glad you're alive!
Heal up, rest up, and surely you'll see some positivity in your life soon.

Glad you are alright!

So sorry to hear that, @Smiter! You were very, very lucky and survived a terrible accident. That’s the most important thing. Take care.

Dang brother......glad you survived. Get better man, golf doesn't matter at this point.

Good grief! praying for you man

Dude really glad you survived. Hope you heal up well

Just to give a somewhat grotesque idea of what I’m dealing with....

Attachments

• E68F1986-0FCD-4605-A46D-26B1E0963B72.jpeg
    E68F1986-0FCD-4605-A46D-26B1E0963B72.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
I put it in thumbnail form so no one pukes. Thanks all for the well wishes. It goes from sternum to ding dong.

Just to give a somewhat grotesque idea of what I’m dealing with....
Wow! thats an "oh **** we've got to find the bleed" cut

Dang Smiter get better soon man, I can totally relate, i stubbed my toe in the kitchen yesterday and its still swollen a bit and a little bruised.

Ok, maybe its not a total correlation, but in all seriousness glad you're ok and on the mend. Time for a trove of good luck sir.

Wow! thats an "oh **** we've got to find the bleed" cut

Yeah they didn’t waste much time from CAT scan to putting me under in the OR.

Again thanks to everyone for the support. I’m just glad that I didn’t severely hurt the other guy. Still waiting on the trooper to come in and cite me for failure to maintain control, just to add insult to injury. They’ve got my target going home day as Sunday, I think they’re being overly optimistic, but maybe?

Back