Good Lord, Life Knock it Off

Yeah they didn’t waste much time from CAT scan to putting me under in the OR.

Again thanks to everyone for the support. I’m just glad that I didn’t severely hurt the other guy. Still waiting on the trooper to come in and cite me for failure to maintain control, just to add insult to injury. They’ve got my target going home day as Sunday, I think they’re being overly optimistic, but maybe?
Sorry to hear what youre going through. Get well soon man, and hope you get to go home soon and spend some time with your little guy!

Dang Smiter. Get well soon.
Your luck is certainly to change soon. With your attitude about it all, it has no choice but to get better.
Stay positive man (y)

This is some next level crazy sting of bad luck. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a tempered Judge in your defense of the traffic ticket.

Sorry to hear this man, but the big guy upstairs was watching over you!

I am sorry for all you are going through, buddy. You have much more positive days ahead, which I know is hard to hear right now, but you have to anchor on that and push forward. Prayers!!!!

Got a picture of the car. Not sure if it or me is more messed up but I’d call it even. AD598639-2556-4A56-BFC1-E4537AF8BDDA.jpeg

You were very lucky.

Yeah it hurt. I’m just glad my mistake didn’t hurt someone not at fault. I wish I felt better but it’ll be a forever reminder to pay more attention. At the end of the day, I’ll survive even if I haven’t been comfortable at all the past few days.

Dang Smiter! Really glad that you made it out alive. Get well soon man!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, you were very lucky. All the best.

In the theme of living dangerously, I had to order the hospital fish for lunch.... It actually wasn’t bad but I think the pile of rice must have ate most of it on its way to my room. C02899A6-E05E-405D-A03F-4FA250A47B65.jpeg

Wow, Smiter. Things will get better. I was just thinking today how filmy my windshields are and how I should clean them. No should about it after reading your posts. In spite of everything, you are a very fortunate man today.

Sorry to hear about all your misfortunes lately smiter, rest up and get better man. Hopefully things will take a turn for the better

As anyone who seen my other posts here you’ll know that life has been hard on me lately. Well yesterday afternoon it damn near ended for me.

I was driving home from work and I’ve always had a hard time driving into the sun. Makes me zone out some. Well I totally missed a truck in front of me that has stopped to turn left. First I saw him was as I was about 4ft in front of me. The speedometer on my car was stuck right around 55mph and the Ohio SHP Trooper said there were no brake marks.

Anyways, Kaboom! At first I was unable to breath, I basically broke every bone the seatbelt touched. Left Clavicle, Sternum, and a couple ribs lower right side.

I thought the car was on fire so I was somehow able to kick open the drivers door and fall out as I was in a deep ditch at about a 45* angle. I climbed up about 12ft in the ditch so that I could get on level ground. In the meantime a witness had stopped and called a squad. I asked him to reach into my passenger side floor to grab my phone as it was sitting on the passenger seat at impact (no I was not on it).

I was heading home to be there as my little guy. Was getting off the bus at my house and no one else was going to be there. I called my soon to be ex so she could go over and pick him up.

The ambulance arrived about then and I was able to get into it pretty much unassisted. I was certain my clavicle was broken, it was visible, and I highly suspected that my sternum and ribs were as well.

So I get to the hospital and get thrown into a trauma bay. There were literally 30 doctors, nurses, etc milling around. They take a quick X-ray conforming the bone breaks and rush me of to have a CAT Scan. About that point I started to feel pretty severe stomach pain and knew something was seriously wrong

The CAT Scan confirmed that I had pretty severe internal bleeding. I was rushed into emergency surgery and the next thing i knew I was waking up 14 hours later. Now I was in for the most miserable half hour of my life. The pain med they gave me as I was coming out of anesthesia doesn’t work on me. I had a ventilator in therefore couldn’t talk. They needed me to breathe on my own through it for 30 minutes first. I was tied down and could not communicate with them. I couldn’t breathe at times. The OR folks forgot to communicate to them that that particular pain med doesn’t work on me. So that was fun.

I’ve spent the rest of the day in the ICU. I’m in a ton of pain and I have about 18 inches that were opened up in my stomach. I lost over 25% of my blood so I had to have a transfusion through a wide bore in my groin. I have no idea how long I’m going to be off work. My car is totaled. There is zero chance of it being fixed. I still have full coverage but I won’t get much out of it.Hopefully it’ll at least cover the citation I’m going to be issued. With the wife issue it was going to be tough to keep my house anyways, I’ll almost certainly have to sell now with all the bills for this and all the fact that I’ll only draw half of my salary for many weeks.

Thank god the guy I hit wasn’t hurt. I have a very strong feeling my golf season is over. Anyways life has dealt me a rough hand lately. It’s about time something breaks my way.

Not sure how I missed this, Smiter. I'll definitely be sending up some more prayers for you. Glad you walked... er, limped... away from it and glad that the guy you hit wasn't hurt. The car can be replaced. Golf will still be here when you recuperate and I'm sure your kids are glad you're still kickin'. Take care and reach out if there's anything I can do to help.

Still hospitalized 5 days later.... I guess that how you know you done went and got hurt good. I’ve had the worlds peppiest Nurse Practitioner that has told me every day at 7am from day 2 on that “you’re going home today” only for the Truama Doc to come in, check me out, and tell me there’s no f’in way he’s releasing me. Today was the first day that I even wanted to go home at all, and I was a little leery about it. I did make it unassisted to the 2nd nurses station (a distance we’d be happy to two putt, that’s about it) and back today (walker aided) but that kicked my ass.

I guess the best advice I can give is twofold. Don’t drive when you’re drowsy. Stop and get out every two minutes if necessary. Second, don’t try to walk off a major impact. I was in shock so feeling very little pain. Had I argued much more on where to take me or refused treatment I’d have bled out and died from this.

And for @PKorf, another cup of homemade (they say) soup. (Yes I went hospital fish two days in a row, maybe I’m just not happy being alive....:))08428D2F-A46D-4881-90DB-3B83AAC60AB5.jpeg

It’s chicken noodle and wouldn’t be too bad if they just put a little more salt in it.

Last edited:
I may be the only one that finds this humerous but it’s stripper name day at the good ol hospital. My nurses name is Destiny and nurse aids are Natalia and Summer, lol. Not surprisingly they still have yesterday up on the chart. B542F47C-ACB9-4884-BEB8-68CB83101FB6.jpeg

I may be the only one that finds this humerous but it’s stripper name day at the good ol hospital. My nurses name is Destiny and nurse aids are Natalia and Summer, lol. Not surprisingly they still have yesterday up on the chart. View attachment 8909005

I laughed at two days of "hospital fish" smiter. It just does not sound good at all. Get well soon and gtfo of the hospital!!

No mention of Nate. That could be a stripper name, too, right?

Good to hear you're okay, that sounds pretty darn scary. You probably should go buy a powerball ticket, the way your luck has been running you're definitely due for a turn to the good.

Man here's hoping for a speedy recovery. Like Parrot said, you were very lucky!!

Give an update. Some of this may be a repeat so I apologize. 10/2 is my Bday and I always go golfing with dad on my bday, so I went.....ECAD7F39-8536-46EC-BAAD-D59905D298A9.jpegBy went I mean I rode in the cart with him and gave him his putter when he was chipping. It was all I could do, but the doc urged me to push myself without going crazy. Photo is dad putting. I did get to make fun of him some since he went 44/53. I wasn’t the only one that wasn’t loving the back nine, lol.

Every day has been a little better..... until today. I woke up with morning and stretched without think. I think I broke one or more of my ribs that were mending. F that setback. I haven’t taken the heavy duty pain stuff in a week or so but I had to this morning to even get out of my recliner.

I’ve gotta be smarter, although I didn’t really think, I woke up and stretched. Can’t do that I guess.

Anyways, until today has been a little better. Fixed up my old 4x4 Trailblazer that’ll get me through winter with no issues. I blasted though 3fr of snow with it last winter, it just ain’t gonna get stuck. I hope it gets me a year or two. Cash is getting a little tight but I think I’m going to take out an equity line in the house just so I can pay off the credit cards and their ridiculous interest rates to make it through this. Not a fan of that line of thinking but I’ve gained close to 100k in equity here in 2 years. Bought at the right time, for once in my life.

Looks like I’ll come out of this fine. Hopefully a month from today I return to work. Golf is done for me until next spring and with all the trauma I may have to shorten my swing. Probably will help my game but bombs off the tee may be a thing of the past.

Anyways, thanks for all the support folks, I really appreciate it.

Good update Smiter. Glad to hear things are looking up.

Glad to hear from, Smiter. Hope things continue to improve for you.

Back