Good or bad course

Other than that I am philosophical about it. Courses provide different kinds of challenges. If I don't like those challenges, that's my problem.

Well said.

My home course is struggling with a couple leagues that habitually don’t repair divots on the green.

The greens keeper went firm and fast on the greens this season, and they feel more like a Scottsdale course than a St. Louis course now, but you’re way less likely to leave a divot - as a result the greens are in much better shape.

Several of the guys are complaining about them now: “I can’t hold these greens!”

Well, ok, hit a different shot then. I hit 9i pin high into 9 green and it rolled off the back. So I hit PW 5 yards short of 10 green and it rolled on.

Personally I like the challenge that different conditions present. That’s part of what makes the game fun.

Incidentally I feel like a Venn diagram of People Who Don’t Fix Their Divots and People Who Complain About Firm Greens would probably show lots of overlap.

When the holes are just straight and bland. Courses obviously have restrictions with landscaping based on elevation changes in the area and or trees, etc, but the layout of holes can be unique. Mix that in with varying levels of rough cuts, bunkers, and water hazards, thats enough to make a course decent. Adding in unique features of elevation or landscaping makes courses all the better though in my opinion.

There is a Palmer course in my area. It is in an extremely flat area. But they did a good job of pushing dirt around so that you almost never have a flat lie. That makes it more interesting than it may be otherwise.

from a design standpoint; a subtle challenge is best. Nobody wants boring, but I also don't want gimmick holes. i want a course with holes that ask for a variety of shots and reward you with opportunities when you make them. Sometimes that risk/reward may take a few rounds to really reveal itself. If the course is overly penal, then there that challenge of decision making and shot placement is removed.

Poor maintenance is number one for me. I play at some municipals I know don't have much of a budget, but they still do a really good job with keeping the course in nice shape.

Next would be the attitude of the staff. I can't stand courses who act like they're doing you a favor to let you play there and are generally grumpy.

Back