Good running shoe with lots of cushion

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Can someone recommend a good running shoe with extra cushion? I had a broken toe that never healed properly and need lots of cushion. Any suggestions? Skechers arch fit?

Last edited:
IMHO NIkes have the best cushion and an extra insert could be added. With a broken toe would it be better to cut up an old pair?

I’ve had Saucony Triumph 18s which are awesome. But I tried these and they’re better.

Over the last 18 months I’ve begun to run a 5k on my treadmill 3 times a week, mostly.
I have used 2 shoes

Adidas ultra boost 19
Nike Pegasus 37

i can slip the adidas on i think the nikes may be slightly more comfortable. I’ve only had the Nikes for about 2 months. I rotate them now.

if you put the Nike app on your phone and buy direct after becoming some kind of a member, they can be returned no questions asked. So at least you test.

Another vote for ASICS... I'd say Nike has the least cushioning depending on which model you get.

My next running shoe is the Hoka one one clifton. Look at all of that padding.
1626998958606.png

There are a lot but it depends on what works for you. I second every recommended shoe so far but Nike, my big and wide feet do not do well in a Nike shoe historically.

I've run marathons, Spartan races and CrossFit in about 30 different kinds of shoes ... This is pre broken back and 5 knee surgeries so take it with a grain of salt this was 10+ years ago.

Go to a specialty store, that's your absolute best bet. It's like a custom fitting but for your running shoes, expect to pay a premium though like 200 give or take. Maybe 150 but you get the drift.

adidas - ultra boost series or supernova series. I have a pair of supernova glides that I use as everyday shoes and I like them.

asics gel kayano - this series has been around forever. I know a couple people that really like them.

Brooks Ghost series - My favorite is the Ghost series. I have the Ghost 6 but I think they're up to 13 or 14 now.

I love my Brooks Ghost.

But another vote for Hoko for you.

New Balance!!!

I run strictly in Mizunos. Pricey, but amazing comfort.

Also, I would say it depends on your mass. Some shoes are better for light, some for heavy.

I'm 155lbs. Absolutely hate Nike, they're garbage as a running shoe.

My son runs 5 miles daily and loves his Brooks Ghost. I love my Adidas Ultraboost. The cushion is amazing.

Wow, didn't know about all of these options, thx for sharing!

Visit the Hoka One One website while you're looking ...

I also have wide feet. The Nikes i suggested actually for me! I was shocked. But i had the free return so i wasn’t concerned.

I’ve noticed nearly all the nurses I’ve seen over the last few years wear hoka too on their feet all day must be good shoes.

I’ve noticed nearly all the nurses I’ve seen over the last few years wear hoka too on their feet all day must be good shoes.
Lots of nurses also wears Crocs! That's the last group of people I will ever take fashion advice from. Hah

But yes, a lot of them do wear very comfortable shoes.

No sir, it was not a fashion decision or statement - strictly about the feel of the shoe! I admit I had a pair of crocs - 2 actually, received a second pair.

1 neither ever left my property.
2 when my plantar was at its absolute worst they were spectacular.
3 now I just wear flip flops from teva, they have great cushioning.

I don't think the OP was as worried about style as he/she was about comfort!

But, as they say - point taken!

I had knee issues and HOKA ONE - the Clifton is a good shoe. Lots of cushion but still stable. HOKA has more midfoot cushion than any shoe - just look at it. I've been wearing them for 5 yrs. At first, I wore the original, which had too much cushion, if you can believe it. But the Clifton works for me.

Last edited:
Yeah HOKA shoes are like running on a cloud lol. I personally don't prefer quite that level of cushion, I like it to be cushioned but with a bit more firmness for stability's sake. I run longer distances (5 miles or more) in Brooks Glycerins.

Hoka One One is definitely a good one to look at if you want lots of cushion. I'm a big fan of Altra, but I like zero drop shoes and also like their wide footbed.

My next running shoe is the Hoka one one clifton. Look at all of that padding.
View attachment 9018051
I bought this exact shoe and sent it back after 1 run. Wasn’t a fan. The Clifton is better IMO, and has more cushion. Great looking shoe though.
Go with the Endorphin Pro if you’re an avid runner. Or the Endorphin Speed to save a little money!

Back