Good (tour) balls not for high handicappers?

MagicSpell

Team Hackers in 2022 Morgan Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
18 ish
Was wondering about a comment given to me at a local golf superstore. First, a little background.

I've never played serious golf though I play in our company league each year (only 9 holes a week for several months). My handicap is pretty consistent at 12-14 each year (9 hole handicap). One day I decided to check out some of the new drivers on the market and went in to demo a few. Had a knowledgeable staffer help me set up a few of the demo clubs. I really struggled hitting any of them well in the indoor bay (not all that surprising as for some reason I can never hit well in the indoor bays). Hindsight tells me maybe I should have brought my current driver in just to get a baseline but... Anyway, I didn't really sweat it much and started to head out. I had a few small items to purchase and headed to the checkout. When I got to the register I noticed some sleeves of Callaway Hex Black and Titleist Pro V1s on sale. Since I had never tried either of these balls I thought I'd get a sleeve of each to try out.

The guy that was helping me with the drivers was checking me out and he told me, "those balls aren't really for you. They're intended for a lower handicap player". Now I know I'm inconsistent and certainly not ready for the tour but are tour balls really not good for a high handicapper? I mean wouldn't they help my game as much as a low handicapper?

BTW, I purchased the balls anyway...

The "tour" balls spin more than "non-tour" balls generally speaking. The higher spin rates esp. side spin does not help us and generally makes power fades and power draws worse than a ball designed to spin less. Increased back spin will help you hold greens better and balls will roll out less than non-tour balls.

You may like the feel and notice that areas of your game are not worse and some maybe better with the "tour" balls so play them and see what you think about them.

All you needed to do was grab the ProV1s and run because they are the best ball for you :alien:

THPing on Tapatalk

There are "tour" balls engineered for higher handicaps. Bridgestone makes them.

I can play a ProV1 but my skill level (13 cap) just can't get the most out of it yet so I choose to play a cheaper alternative that performs very similarly for me in the NXT Tour. It's a very personal choice that nobody can make for you IMO.
I know Urethane balls will spin more but when I put a snap hook or a banana slice on a ball it really doesn't matter what ball I'm using...that sucker is gone.

I have about an 11 handicap and love tour balls. Some spin more than others of the tee for me so I just find the tour ball I like the most. I just love the good feel, distance, and spin I get with tour balls. Feels like the total package.

In my travels it really depends on how you like to play and your ability, which can change within a year. If you like good feel and spin around a green there's a ball for you and if you like distance with less spin, another ball is best. I've found that trial and error is beneficial and it was almost rude that the sales rep said that to you.

Ive played the pro V1's. Im a high capper. I could keep them in play, but I didnt see enough of a difference to justify the price. I actually like my top flight gamers more. To each there own I guess.

I guess one first must ask themselves, what makes a tour ball?
If its a urethane cover, than there are numerous options in many price ranges.

You'll be giving them a try, and that will be the best indicator, how they work for you.

THPing on Tapatalk

I guess one first must ask themselves, what makes a tour ball?
If its a urethane cover, than there are numerous options in many price ranges.
I should really give a try to some of the "lower end" urethane balls. I just like the spin from urethane around the green, but do I really know if a "tour" ball is right for me? No. I just don't want to stray from the urethane and everyone says tour balls are the best, so why not...

I think it's your money so spend as you choose. I too play a cheaper 2pc or if I'm feeling froggy will pick up a 3 pc. ball just to make myself realize there wasn't a difference in me paying 15.00:banghead: I do think playing a better ball can improve confidence. If you have a shag ball on the tee, your going to tell yourself and buddies that it doesn't matter if you lose it b/c it's a cheap ball but, if you tee up a Bridgestone B330RX your more likely to concentrate on your shot. That's how I look at it.

I played ProV1's (used/recycled) for the past 3 years.

Made the switch over late last year to Srixon Q-Stars. Like the price a lot better, the balls last forever, the drop off in playability is un-noticeable for me.... in fact my fade is a lot less pronounced with the Q-Stars.

I really like a spinny ball around the greens 120 yards and in. I dont normally fight a bad driver day but when the big monster push slice comes around it down not matter what ball Im playing its gone. I really like the prov1x when I can find them in the woods, but I have been playing the chrome this winter/ spring and it is a pretty forgiving ball with pretty good spin. The Z stars are on sale right now for cheaper so that is what I will be going to next since I played one of my best rounds with a z star.

I think they could be good for your game for sure. They spin very well around the greens. Let us know how you like them?

Im not a low capper by any means, cap should be going down soon from winter layoff, but after switching from a surlyn distance ball to a tour ball I have really improved my short game. I have also noticed it's easier to shape shots with a tour ball. Both types of balls are long off the tee, but the increase in short game spin and even the feel on the putter makes tour balls a better choice for me. Now after switching about three seasons ago, my game is really coming around. I will comment that I have been pretty straight off the tee even before I switched. Take my advice, don't be afraid to play a tour ball even if your not a tour pro.

You'll be giving them a try, and that will be the best indicator, how they work for you.
THPing on Tapatalk
I think it's your money so spend as you choose. I too play a cheaper 2pc or if I'm feeling froggy will pick up a 3 pc. ball just to make myself realize there wasn't a difference in me paying 15.00:banghead:
Above two posts are the best golf ball suggestions.
Just trying different balls and playing the one you like is the way to go

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. I am looking forward to trying out both balls just to see what they're like for my game. I've tried a number of balls over the years (mostly lower cost or low spin balls) but the last few seasons have felt that I might be missing some opportunities on approaches and greenside.

The most recent rounds I've played the following balls to get a comparison of some of the options available:
Gamer V2 (tied my personal best 9 hole round this week with this one)
Titleist Tour Distance
Callaway Hex Control ($30 for two dozen at Costco, lol)
Wilson Tour Velocity (didn't really like this one)
Wilson Profile (another one I really didn't like)
Bridgestone e6

Other balls I'm interested in trying are Srixon Z star X, Callaway Hex Chrome+, and the Top Flite Gamer Tour.

wilson staff c:25 give it a try.. you might be surprised in a good way.. also give a try wilson fg tour balls

wilson staff c:25 give it a try.. you might be surprised in a good way.. also give a try wilson fg tour balls
I was shocked at how much I enjoy this ball.

Handicap should not be used as a measure of whether a particular ball suits you or not.

High handicap guys are high for a reason. They can't get the ball in the hole. Simple.

If you struggle with chipping and stopping the ball, I would give one of the soft tour balls a bash such as Pro V1, Bridgestone B330 RX S or the Cally Hex Black.

If however you have issues with longer shots, and I guess you do at the mo, they may well put you more in the crap due to the extra side spin that you get with a softer ball.

As a compromise, and everything in golf is a compromise, try the Bridgestone E6 or Title is NXT Tour. Both fairly soft but less spinny than others.

At the end of the day, the best ball for anyone is the one that suits their game, whether that be a Pinnacle or Pro V1.

the best ball for anyone is the one that suits their game

^^^
This

I did a mini write up yesterday of two balls, I really enjoyed hitting one more than the other, but the best feeling one didn't suit my game and was significantly higher scoring so will continue to play the one that suits me best, trying others as my game progresses.

Testing new stuff is half the fun and balls are waaaay cheaper than drivers :)

The higher spin will give you more feedback on your mistakes.
That will a) make you lose them. b) likely increase your score.

But those are not reasons to not try them. I'm inconsistent and have a stash of Nike Power Distance that i usually play, but i LOVE the Nike One Tour lakeballs i bought in bulk last year. They didn't help me score better when i used them on rounds. Definitly not. But they feel perfect. Once i play more consistent, that's the ball i'm going to play.
I also tried other "low handicap" balls. Titleist Pro V1, V1x, Srixon yellows. They didn't help me score either, of course. But neither did they click/feel good.

I like the Bridgestone B330 or the B330Rx. My swing speed is right in the range (top of the RX range, bottom of the 330 range) where I can play both and dont see much of a difference between them.

I'm pretty picky on how a ball 'feels' so I've tried a few different balls trying to find one that suits me. Srixon Distance, Soft Feel, Z-Star and non of them really 'felt' right to me somehow. Titleist Pro-V1, Pro-V1X while they were nice I noticed a pretty big distance drop off and they felt really spongey to me, almost too soft. I then bought a sleeve of Nike 20XI-X as the RZN core just interested me and I wanted to see if it was all talk or if it could get nice distance while still have a soft 'feel'. I've not looked back after hitting the first 20XI-X off the tee, I got rid of all the other balls out of my bag and put a dozen 20XI-X in my bag.

I'm a high handicaper playing a 'tour' ball and blade irons so it does just go to show it is personal preference. I may try the Nike One RZN-X at some point to see how they compare to the 20XI and save myself a little ££ but I think this ball is staying in my bag for a while.

Back