Good wedge design for wet winter conditions?

BroD

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to purchase a good wedge, for wet winter conditions,,, I seem to dig in and hit 'fat shots' in wet situations, my favorite wedge is a 56 Maltby TSW 1.06 which people stand in awe during the summer, but now,, with wet turf I struggle. Loft , Lie, Bounce???

Subscribed. Holy hell I suck at soft wet lies.

i hear zipcores are the business...

Ping eye sole

Cleveland CBX2
Cobra MIM widelow

More bounce - look at 10-12 in soft, damp conditions but it also depends on grind.

Two I've played --

Titleist - D Grind is good
Mizuno - M or C Grind in 12, they also have an anti-wet grind to keep spin in wet conditions. One reason I play it besides the 1025E and decent grind.

On both of the above, you have heel and toe grind for opening up.

I will add the PM Grind

Eye2 Sole should work even with its 8 of bounce because of the wider sole.

Even with bounce, play the ball more forward in your stance on pitches and chips and keep the shaft more vertical or even back on some shots so you don't stick the leading edge.

The key is: Do not keep any lag on short pitches or chips - come in shallow so that leading edge does not dig. And with the bounce, you can hit the ground before ball coming in shallow, and make a mistake and it will turn out fine. I use this technique on low bounce wedges, too, on firm turf. Don't hit that leading edge. Let it glide.

Experiment on different lies. I know the most trouble for me is just off the green in moist conditions and somewhat tight lie and slightly uphill - I have the shaft backwards and may have the club head past the hands at impact - yes, at times, a flip.

Last edited:
Ping eye sole

I am in love with this thing. The sole makes this virtually duff proof for me. Also has the hydro pearl finish that Ping claim will not reduce spin when the club face is wet. TXG did a test that seemed to back this claim up.

I play a Titleist SM5 K grind because of the wide sole. It has 58* of loft and 11* of bounce

I am in love with this thing. The sole makes this virtually duff proof for me. Also has the hydro pearl finish that Ping claim will not reduce spin when the club face is wet. TXG did a test that seemed to back this claim up.

Ping has the hydro pearl, Mizuno MP T20 has the grooves that dissipate moisture. TXG also backed it up. I'm torn on my next wedges to Glide 3.0 because of durability.

I am in the process of switching my regular irons to my TE Bazooka Ironwoods just because of wetter conditions, and trying to prevent fatties.

Theses clubs have extra wide soles, especially on the wedges. My LW could flip pancakes I think.

We haven't had any measurable rain for 225 days, but the course is still watering the turf daily. With cooler day time temps, (mid 60s) the turf is staying pretty moist.

On another note, I have no problem choking down on my fairway woods for any shot off wet turf. They don't dig in at all.

Callaway W grind or the MD CB, in addition to the others that have been mentioned. The W grind does not want to dig for sure.

Bounce is your friend in my experience. Wide version of the Cobra MiM wedges would be solid along with the Cleveland ZipCores IMO.

Another vote for the CBX2.

I've only maybe 10-12 rounds in with them (have the 48°, 52°, 56°, 60°) but can say that one thing that's impressed me most, is their play in wet conditions.

I also have PM Grind wedges, present and former releases. They're also good in wet conditions but in my opinion, the CBX2's are superior.

PM Grinds can tend to dig at times. No such issue with the CBX2.

Snow shovel?

In general more bounce will help with digging. You can also use lower loft since the green is softer too. It's a lot easier to chip with a PW or GW during the winter.

Would you say bounce is your friend in this situation?
I can make the case for most amateurs it’s good in every situation haha, but yes in this one.

I can make the case for most amateurs it’s good in every situation haha, but yes in this one.
Anywhere soft it is awesome. The only time I have to be careful is off of tightly mown aprons around a green.

Finally got my Cleveland CBX2 52 in today,, shipping was sllloooowwww. and boy do I need 'all the forgiveness I need' going to put it to work tomorrow. 1607652101092.png

Back