Goodbye Old Friends

davethegolfnut

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I finally made the leap.

I'm a bit of a collector of used clubs. If I see a used set at a garage sale or the golf store for a good price, I'll usually be tempted and sometimes give in.

However, I was cleaning out the garage today and realized there was a set tucked into every nook and cranny.

If you've seen me on another thread, you know that I took the leap and bought a set of Cobra King F7 One-Lengths recently, and I'm really enjoying them.

So, I decided it was time and I did a big purge.

I donated about 50 clubs to our local Goodwill that were too old to be any value for The 1st Tee via SecondSwing.

In the bin at Goodwill were.

• My Wilson 1200 GEs that I've had since the Mid-80's, played those for about five years.
  • My original TaylorMade Tour Preferred blades that my dad gave me when he was done with them. Played those for even longer.
  • And... My original Persimmon woods from high school. I would have kept those, but the heads were in rough shape AND they've been caught in a basement flood and the shafts were really pitted with rust.
  • (Plus a bunch of other this-and-that clubs)

Off to 2nd swing are two sets of Silver Scots, some Big Bertha Irons, and my TaylorMade Burner Bubble Irons that I picked up when I really got into the game again. I really loved those and they were the first clubs I broke 80 with.

Left in the house are my One-Lengths and my Adams XTD's that I'll use as a backup/guest set.

It was hard letting some of these old friends go, but I reckoned if I .really get the itch to have an old set of 1200 GE's or similar I can pick them up for 10 bucks.

Next, I probably should parse through my putter collection, but that's a bit harder to do.

Those XTD's were so underrated. Great irons!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing that great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodbye Old Friends

Great gesture,silver scotts were awesome irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to do a purge too. I Have a ton of old stuff.

I'm not sure I could purge as you did. My set of Tour Preferred irons from 1981 was the set that I played my first 2,000 rounds with and I have too many great memories to let them go!

Those XTD's were so underrated. Great irons!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Those were my favorite looking set of irons for a long time. Unfortunately I did not get along with them at all.

My wife bought me a set of Wilson 1200 GEs for Christmas back in the 80's. I loved those clubs!

Back